IGNORED

Does Type of Ball Matter for High Handicappers?

Note: This thread is 2632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Probably been done to death but I'm new to the forum and I figured best to get stuck in with a question about balls.

Ok here goes...

Realistically at what hcp rating would you start to consider what ball you're playing with? 

For example does it really make much sense for a high hc player like myself to be using pro v1's. I have roughly 170 mixed titleist balls from pro v 1x's to pts wound etc.

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if a "pro" ball is more likely to accentuate my poor shots with improved spin rate blah blah.

Whilst playing with a couple of friends the other day one of them said try this... it was a Wilson 'Smartcore' you get them here in the UK  £15 for a box of 24! 

Despite being lower than weasels willy in the quality department  (or so I assume) compared to bridgestone, titleist so on I shot my best round so far with it... (91 on a challenging course) 

So what do you guys think? Is ball choice important for guys like me at this stage?

Thanks everyone. Have a great day / night.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first year I started w/ a small bucket of used (cheap) 2 piece balls. When I lost most of those after a few months, I started experimenting w/ different balls thinking I could find a "straighter" ball and cure my slice. This didn't really work. I learned that "straight" low-spin distance balls really do go straighter - but only if you strike them correctly. 

At the beginning of this, my second season, I settled on a ball that I can putt and chip with really well. I've strayed a couple of times, once to try "super soft" types of balls, and once to play a novelty ball. But, I came back to the ball that had the best greenside feel.

Anyway, the short answer is this: yes, even as a beginner, find a ball you like to chip and putt with. 

My .02 YMMV

Well, I will probably get flamed, but I really like Titleist NXT Tour (not Tour S). It has a nice "weight" (best way I can describe it) on the putter face, and with chip shots. On the short irons it only releases a couple of feet from the pitch mark. You can see it spinning pretty hard on those little draws into the green, very rewarding. I'm pretty sure I've backed it up a couple of times too. I tried several kinds of balls, most brands. I also liked the old Maxfli Noodle, but I don't think it's made anymore.

3 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Well, I will probably get flamed, but I really like Titleist NXT Tour (not Tour S). It has a nice "weight" (best way I can describe it) on the putter face, and with chip shots. On the short irons it only releases a couple of feet from the pitch mark. You can see it spinning pretty hard on those little draws into the green, very rewarding. I'm pretty sure I've backed it up a couple of times too. I tried several kinds of balls, most brands. I also liked the old Maxfli Noodle, but I don't think it's made anymore.

I actually like playing NXT's too. They're great for windy days when you need to keep your spin down, and the release on them is pretty consistent. Not a bad ball by any means.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

There you go no flaming and besides I've just admitted to practically using an egg shaped stone with dimples and I've yet to be flamed  :8)

Think I've got quite a few of the NXT's in my box of titleist balls. I'll see how they they play. 

:beer:

this is what i tell people..... when you first start out.... find a cheap ball, like a top flight / wilson ultra.... basically something if you lose a ball its not 4 or 5 $ out the window.... 

and play that ball till you are not losing a ball every other hole or till you are hitting good shots more often than not..... 

then move up a ball.... and so on...  

heck right now i am playing a maxfli softfli and sometimes a U/6 LC depending on how well i am hitting the ball....   i find with the SoftFli even with my mis-hits,,, they are still playable.. with the U6, sometimes because of the slice of the ball, i end up losing the ball...   

It is what it is

Handicap doesnt matter. Im a high handicap, but it has little to do with my short game. (Which is where ball matters most). My high cap is due to struggles with the longer clubs and the pull that shows up three or four times a round. The ball matters when, a) you can feel a difference and b) when you start hitting greens and or u start hitting chips, pitches and other short approach shots very close to where you are aiming. Thats my .02 and heres the why; how a ball feels when struck can affect your psych. B) A prov1 isnt going to help you if your pitch shot flies ten yards over the green or lands 45 feet left or right of the flag. Playing conditions also matter. If you play soft moist greens, u should be able to get away with any cheap ball that feels good to u. If uou play golf in Texas like me, your probably gonna want urethane sooner, rather than later

• Upvote 1

When I started the ball I used was round and white. I lost scores of them.

For a year or so I used the Bridgestone e6. Straight, rolls nice. Couldn't really pitch or chip worth anything so I couldn't talk to that aspect.

This past year I joined the Titleist ball RnD team. They sent me some unmarked balls. They just said "tester" on them. Later they wrote me an told me that they were the velocity. I put it right next to my e6. 20 yards longer and every bit as straight.

A week, or so, ago I tried the OnCore Avante. 20 yards longer than the Titleist Velocity.

I am 54, have 4 herniated discs, and don't have a fast club head speed.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

These are great replies and made me consider whether a ball change would help drop my score a little more...

On Thursday I broke 90 for the 1st time! Something that I hope some of you remember as being a massive milestone :banana:

Anyway my long game is what cost me my most shots over all, as I only started using my driver after a year, untouched at the range 2 days prior to the round. 

Hopefully this won't come across as cocky or big headed but 7i down to LW I feel in control and confident. I can drop a gap wedge onto the green  and usually pretty close to what I was aiming for no problem.

Put a driver in my hand or a rescue club  etc off the tee and then it's a gamble on what will happen :mellow:

So if my short game is my strong point in my shot scoring would a better ball help me more?

I don't lose balls anymore or if I do it's no more than 1 a round and I have a Box of 12 Brand new Callaway Chome soft sat in my cupboard asking to be opened.

BUT,  Would these better balls accentuate the spin off a bad driver impact though, Therefore causing me to lose more shots in my long game area?

Cheers for all your input, enjoying the thoughts of different players.

I play the NXT Tour S or the TaylorMade Project [a] personally. I know a couple higher handicaps who swear by Bridgestone e6 and Srixon Q Star... Hell I played the yellow Srixon Soft Feel most of last year.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

It really matters on why you are a high handicapper.  Is it because your swing is inconsistent, you are losing strokes from a 100 yards in etc.  What is your strength and what is your weakness.  If you do not spin the ball sideways a lot then play the tour balls.  If you do, they only accentuate the sidespin leading to draws becoming hooks and fades becoming slices.  If you need the distance, play the distance balls.  If you struggle around the greens look at the ball that suits your type of green-side game.  For example I do not play too many tour balls, because I do not want the ball to spin backwards when I hit a wedge from beyond 50 yards onto the green.  I want it to drop and stop so the most I play in the Titleist range as of now is the NXT.  It will drop and stop.  If you like to play a more run it in type of green-side shot (8i for example) then a distance ball is more suited to your game.

The simplest suggestion is look at what you want out of your ball and then pick accordingly.  I know people who are high handicappers who use tour balls because their swing is decent but their entire handicap is based on their play around the greens

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Don't waste money on expensive balls, unless you like wasting money.

I would however try to stick with one model of ball. Even back when I was a total beginner, the inconsistency with buying a bag of lake balls were noticeable, especially on the short game and putting. I could putt with a four layer on one hole and a rock on the next. It didn't help.

All in all, even that doesn't make a whole lot of a difference. What you do with the club matters way way more than which ball you play.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

For a high handicapper I do not believe that a tour ball will offer any real benefit, and in some cases it can be a detriment with fades turning into strong fades and draws wanting to be hooks.  Balls like the NXT Tour, e6, and Gamer are good options for keeping drives in the fairway, or if you have a slower swing speed the Gamer Soft, Softfli, and DT TruSoft can help you pick up some distance while staying in the short stuff.  Yes, the ball can make a difference for a high handicapper but the solution is typically not a tour level ball.

So how do you guys rate the Callaway Chrome Softs?

I have a Box of them and was hoping to see a little bit more control round the greens with the wedges if i use them but if they're going to spin up like crazy on the driver then they'll probably cost more shots than they would save.

Do tour-level balls really accentuate spin? I thought that ProV1 and similar introduction was part of a tour increase in driving distance in ~2003. That was attributed IIRC to reduced spin. I was aware that the urethane cover provided better bite on slower speed short game shots, but I wasn't under the impression that they increased spin on full shots?

Are some of you just saying that the harder less expensive balls, spin even less than the less spinny tour-level balls?

Kevin

7 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Do tour-level balls really accentuate spin? I thought that ProV1 and similar introduction was part of a tour increase in driving distance in ~2003. That was attributed IIRC to reduced spin. I was aware that the urethane cover provided better bite on slower speed short game shots, but I wasn't under the impression that they increased spin on full shots?

Are some of you just saying that the harder less expensive balls, spin even less than the less spinny tour-level balls?

It depends on where you are looking for increased spin. You can by a cheaper ball that has a soft urethane cover on it and see significant increases in greenside sping. However, for longer shots, if you are looking for 1 hop and stop or spin back  upon landing then multi piece balls help more there. At least, in my experience.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!