IGNORED

Tiger buying TaylorMade?

Steviestuboy
Note: This thread is 2772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Not entirely true. Bauer was Nike-Bauer for awhile. They bought and then re-sold-off Bauer hockey equipment after a few years, IIRC.

Thanks for the reminder.

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Anyone buying the company has to consider the soft goods side of the business.  The majority of golf shirts I see are mostly non-equipment manufacturers, UA, Adidas, Nike, Puma, Greg Norman and Oakley.  I rarely see guys wearing Ping, Callaway, or Mizuno.

I was wondering if tiger might be able to broker some kind of symbiotic deal with Nike where they do the shirts and TM does the hardware.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

38 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

A rumor many times has a basis in fact, a speculation does not. This strikes me as speculation,

He was also rumored to have been with Dufner's wife not to long ago among other things.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, ZappyAd said:

I was wondering if tiger might be able to broker some kind of symbiotic deal with Nike where they do the shirts and TM does the hardware.

Yeah I don't see this as much of an issue. Nike won't have hardware, and he's gonna have to play some other brand of clubs anyway. Also, they are doing basically the same thing with JD. 

On 9/16/2016 at 3:09 PM, CarlSpackler said:

If TW bought TM, I would guess that sales would increase. That's just a guess though.

Not for this golfer! If Tiger buys Taylormade, Im out! Pls God no!!! I love Taylormade golf equipment! :cry:

13 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Not for this golfer! If Tiger buys Taylormade, Im out! Pls God no!!! I love Taylormade golf equipment! :cry:

If he does, its for the investment, not because he thinks he can design a better club.....maybe.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:58 AM, newtogolf said:

...About the only easy entry soft good item would be hats since many people like to wear hats that represent the equipment they play.  ...

Good question. I would like to know what proportion of hats are sold, vs. hats that are given away if you buy a driver or an FW, or if you test out equipment at a launch weekend. Hats were hot giveaways a couple of years ago, but I've lost track of whether the OEMs do this much anymore. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

15 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Why wouldn't you keep loving it if Tiger became the owner?

• Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

4 hours ago, Zeph said:

Why wouldn't you keep loving it if Tiger became the owner?

1) Id hate to think Im supporting Tiger

(see footnote)

2) Ive seen some of the Nike gear Tiger inspired and I wasnt a fan from a performance stand point, be it actual or perceived. (Aesthetics)

3) I love Taylormade just the way they are. 

....and yes, I realize number three is probably inevitable regardless of who buys Tm.

Love em or hate em, those are my reasons.

*I dislike Tiger for not being the role model he should have been for todays golfing youth, I disapprove of the scandal, and truth be told, Ive always thought Tiger was too arrogant for golf.

If this is indeed true, guess is he has a strong group of investors behind him and a plan to bring many of the top Nike pros over to TM. Highly doubt he would be involved in the everyday dealings.  

Even though he has not played much, the TW brand is still very strong and I am sure would help push some product.

On September 16, 2016 at 5:27 PM, GolfLug said:

Like stamp the clubs 'TW'?? Hmm, don't think he would do THAT. I thought he would buy TM (I guess still a rumor) and leave it as TM, just run it. It's not like anybody would miss out on the fact (if he goes on to actually buy it) that TW owns TM (2 great brands) and that alone would be marketing gold.

Yeah. Have his own process, design, etc. Tiger (at least publiclly) doesnt seem like the type of dude whos not going to want to put his own stamp on things. 

He most likely would be involved in some type of investment group that would purchase the company, or he would get a stake as coming on board to play, and help design, their clubs.   or maybe a new Tiger line?  Lots of different things if it's true.

Nicklaus and Palmer both had their own companies that were small.  However they financed it or what percentage they owned, I don't know.   But they were certainly the front men for their respective offerings.   A company with him headlines would generate a lot of publicity and TM, despite their failings, have a lot of smart designs.  Could be interesting.

—Adam

I never got the sense that Tiger was heavy into club design or engineering.  I know Hogan made all his clubs back in the day and that Jack was fairly involved with his clubs but I've never read much about Tiger helping Nike "design" clubs beyond communicating what he liked and didn't and that he wanted Nike to make clubs like the Titleist clubs he played before he signed with Nike.  

Joe Paradiso

17 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I never got the sense that Tiger was heavy into club design or engineering.  I know Hogan made all his clubs back in the day and that Jack was fairly involved with his clubs but I've never read much about Tiger helping Nike "design" clubs beyond communicating what he liked and didn't and that he wanted Nike to make clubs like the Titleist clubs he played before he signed with Nike.  

I know Tiger was involved with nike to help them develop the clubs initially. When Hogan and Nicklaus were playing there was so much room for improvement and the R&D was not as extensive.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!