IGNORED

Dumb and embarrassing things I do playing golf

rcwkent
Note: This thread is 2731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm an absent-minded professor type of person ( without the intellect or education). I walk around in a daze most times.

Yesterday, for the second time this year, I forgot to strap my bag to the cart, and it flew off 30 yards from the 1st tee, entertaing everyone but me.

Another of my specials I putt out first , grab the flag, then when all are in, we walk off the green, with the flag still in my hand. My buddies have started to call it my trophy!

So everyone fess up...what embarrassing things have you done on the course?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, rcwkent said:

So everyone fess up...what embarrassing things have you done on the course?

You mean besides my golf game itself? That can get a little embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit some embarrassing shots every so often. Then again, I am not easily embarrassed, so it's no big deal.

Other times I might leave a wedge on the green, and have to do what ever is needed to get it back. I have embarassed a couple of golfers when I found my left behind wedge in their bag. 

I did have my trolley roll into a water hazard once.  

On the way to the course, I once went through a car wash, forgetting my bag was uncovered in the bed of my truck. Ironically, I shot a pretty good score that day. 

I do tend to say things that are completely taken out of context by others, but I figure that's their embarrassment. Not mine.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If we're a foursome and riding it's pretty hard for me to make it through a round without returning from the green to the wrong cart at least once.  I'm not really embarrassed by it though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rcwkent said:

Yesterday, for the second time this year, I forgot to strap my bag to the cart, and it flew off 30 yards from the 1st tee, entertaing everyone but me.

Been there, done that, at least once a year.

I am always slow about getting my stuff together, organized, shoes on, etc... leading to my playing partners pushing me to get moving.  Once I put one shoe on got distracted and locked the other in the trunk.  Didn't realize I had a golf shoe on one foot and a tennis shoe on the other until the first tee.

• Upvote 2

This one happened to my bother. 

One of my favorite stories is one in which I was playing with my bro in the early 90s. We were both working at a local course and both low digit players. Before the round he became disgusted with his putter, a Ping Zing 2 and asked to trade for the day and use my Ping B61. We get to the 8th hole, a 165 yard semi-island green par 3 and he stuffs it to 6 feet. He missed the putt, and got so pissed he whipped the putter in the lake muttering some garbage about how it was time that putter met its watery grave. I said that it was all good, but that it was my putter he tossed. Needless to say, I started using a Ping Zing 2 and he learned a valuable lesson about tossing clubs! 

I never did get that putter back, even though we had the golf ball diver look for it. Every time I go back to that hole I just laugh and tell the story. 

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

so I'm waiting to tee off while a group of players hit out of a line of trees down the fairway next to us.  They hit and drove off, fairway is clear.  I stepped up and hit my drive exactly where I was aiming, crushed it too.  Problem was they were playing the same hole and drove back across the fairway and stopped exactly where my ball was headed.  ricochets off a cart tire and hits one guy in the foot.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, allenc said:

If we're a foursome and riding it's pretty hard for me to make it through a round without returning from the green to the wrong cart at least once.  I'm not really embarrassed by it though.

I have the issue too. A friend gifted me a yellow ball retriever that I store next to the driver. I've learned to look for that.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

5 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

the most embarrassing thing I have done recently was put my weight on my putter while putting my ball down on my marker. The green was a bit damp and the putter slid out from under me and I face planted onto the green.

I have done that twice. Never face planted, but brought me to my knees and it is very embarrassing to say the least

8 hours ago, rcwkent said:

Another of my specials I putt out first , grab the flag, then when all are in, we walk off the green, with the flag still in my hand. My buddies have started to call it my trophy!

I did this last week...I was tending the flag for a group of guys in my league and started walking off with it.  It provided a good laugh.

• Upvote 1

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

I rarely play golf with women. On every occassion, Ive driven past the ladies tees at least once during the round. Its soooo humiliating!! I feel so awful every time it happens. Only good news is last time this occurred, I only did it once.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stealthhwk said:

I rarely play golf with women. On every occassion, Ive driven past the ladies tees at least once during the round. Its soooo humiliating!! I feel so awful every time it happens. Only good news is last time this occurred, I only did it once.

An easy way to avoid this is to just play with them on the forward tees.  Par 5s are really fun when they are basically par 4s.  Can't really use the round for handicap purposes (I guess you could if it's rated), but every once and awhile playing up is a good change of pace.

• Upvote 1

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

My father and I left our putters behind.  A par 3 hole at his club required a player to walk down the hill to the green.  The next hole's tee was adjacent.  Typically one would hit to the green and walk down with one's putter and driver (for the next hole).  We did not notice until we were on the next green that our putters were still lying against the bench on the tee.

I have also forgotten to tee off.  The other three tee off and somehow I was distracted enough that we all jumped in the carts and drove on.  It was only when I couldn't recall where my drive went that it dawned on me I had not actually hit a tee shot.

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

This wasn't me, but I witnessed it.   Some guy was teeing off on the first hole and the course had these big 6 foot tall stone monuments for hole markers.  Really nice with a layout of the hole and everything.

So the guy is taking a long time with multiple practice swings, then he swings and just clips the side of the ball so that it goes sideways, hits the monument and bounces back over his head and lands by his cart.

—Adam

Playing in a scramble many years ago with a coworker, he was "getting rid of some beer" by some fountain grass next to the cart path. Unfortunately, this was at a cart path intersection, and a group of ladies came around the corner in full view. They all busted out laughing as they drove by as did we. That was the hardest I have laughed up until @missitnoonan's notorious "Dorf on Golf" swing at Oakland Hills a few years ago.

- Shane

I don't know if you can be embarrassed when you're alone but one stupid thing I did:

Playing the 8th hole, my second shot when right of the green.   The 9th tee is off the left side of the green so I grabbed a wedge and my putter and walked over to my ball.  I chipped on and then noticed a putter laying next to the green.  I should also mention that the hole placement was towards the left edge of the green as well.  So here's this putter laying next to the 8th green as far from the hole and next tee as possible.   I kept asking myself, "how could someone leave a putter here!?".    I was so confused and distracted by this that it took until I wanted to chip onto the 9th green to realize that I left my wedge where I had picked up this strange putter!  

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 2731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!