IGNORED

Is carrying only three "wedges" a bad idea?

Note: This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

@WUTiger will not shoot me dead for this because it's part of my Sweet 16.

As a lot of you know I have the following 17 clubs I typically rotate in.

Driver, Mini-Driver, 4-wood, 7-wood, 3-hybrid, 4-hybrid, 4-iron thru PW, AW, 54°, 58°, Putter. 

My EXi Gap wedge is currently in my closet in two pieces (I am in the process of sending it back to TE to get it repaired or replaced). 

This is the question, I'm thinking about getting a 56° wedge and taking out the 54° and 58° wedges. Don't know what the fourteen in the bag would look like but I suck and I mean suck with a 58° (unless I'm 30 yards or less from the hole).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played 46, 50, 56 for several seasons. I dropped the 56 for 54 + 58 when I started playing at my current course (58 comes in handy for deep bunkers, shaggy greenside shots //54 for longer bunker shots).

Don't feel bad about the 58. I've met several small-college players here and there who have a 56 for their highest lofted wedge. I used the 56 on greenside cut shots for twenty years before the lob wedge appeared.

It's OK to play with just 13 clubs. Have a good week!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Not a bad idea at all.  Honestly, more people get themselves into more trouble with a high lofted lob wedge than they get out of...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Sometimes I debate putting my 60 in the bag, but I don't honestly know when or how I'd use it. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

For a long time I played with precisely two wedges in my bag, one marked "PW" and the other marked "SW" - and played some of my best golf.

These days my irons stop at PW, and I carry an expensive Cleveland 52 degree and a cheapo Tour Edge 56 degree. If I had to pick between the two, the Tour Edge would win out every time - close to the green, feet absolutely together and forward of the ball, crouched down and knees severely bent...probably my best shot.

Carry what works for you, there are no right or wrong answers.

11 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

For a long time I played with precisely two wedges in my bag, one marked "PW" and the other marked "SW" - and played some of my best golf.

These days my irons stop at PW, and I carry an expensive Cleveland 52 degree and a cheapo Tour Edge 56 degree. If I had to pick between the two, the Tour Edge would win out every time - close to the green, feet absolutely together and forward of the ball, crouched down and knees severely bent...probably my best shot.

Carry what works for you, there are no right or wrong answers.

Cheapo "Tour Edge"?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Looks like a TGS... Good wedge... I own the 50, 54 and 58 in the 304 model. 

Hell, I could carry 12 clubs if need be take out the 3 hybrid too... But in all seriousness, the 58/60 only gets me in more trouble than it helps me.... I guess I just don't understand how to hit it. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

No i do not think carrying 3 wedges is bad...... i use a Volkey  50/8 , 56/8 bent to 55, and a 56/12 ( bunker and for the rough ) 

i use to sport a 60-4 but i lost it lol.... i tried a cheapy 60/4 wedge but more times than not i'd skull it... so i ditched the 60...

It is what it is

7 minutes ago, David L Yskes said:

No i do not think carrying 3 wedges is bad...... i use a Volkey  50/8 , 56/8 bent to 55, and a 56/12 ( bunker and for the rough ) 

i use to sport a 60-4 but i lost it lol.... i tried a cheapy 60/4 wedge but more times than not i'd skull it... so i ditched the 60...

Do you carry a PW?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I'm thinking of switching back and forth between a 60 and a 64. I'd like to test a 64 out first though. I use the 60 on everything 90 yards and under so I am not sure that is a good idea. I carry three wedges plus a PW and don't think I would change that.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Like I said above I would go PW (45°), AW (50°) and a 56° speciality wedge. 

What do I lose not having a "lob" wedge? Though both of my CB Pro S wedges I consider Sand wedges. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

My PW is 45*, my SW is 55* and I have a low bounce 60* LW which I bought when I was playing regularly and could utilize the options.  Today, I play once a week and only use the SW or LW purely for getting out of bunkers and for flop type shots where I want to drop and stop it.  For everything else around a green I use the 8i to run it or the PW for a bit of loft.  Heck, until I start playing regularly (at least 3 times a week), I would rather only have the PW and one more lofted wedge.  Three itself is too much for me

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I have never hit a mediocre shot with a lob wedge. They are either real good, or real bad. So, I have a pw, gap, and sw. I really prefer my old Eye2 set up, when it was just pw and sw.

I got PW, 52º and 58º, where the 58 has high bounce for bunker play.

There are no rules or strict guidelines as to what you want in the bag. It all comes down to what you prefer and what works best for you. If you do switch out 54+58 with 56, make sure it has enough bounce for the bunkers. If you struggle with the 58º, maybe it needs a bit more practice or looking at what you are trying to do with the club. A full shot with a 58 is different from a high pitch with the same club.

When looking at the clubs in my bag, I always look if some clubs are doing the same job or used on the same distances. I've had clubs in the bag that never got used due to overlapping and got thrown out. Long iron, hybrid and 7-wood or something, all of which had the same distance. I ended up ditching the wood. I also look at how often I use a club and try to give myself enough options in the club range where more shots are hit from.

Had a 60 and 64 before, but they had limited use and were used so rarely I couldn't rely on them.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Like I said above I would go PW (45°), AW (50°) and a 56° speciality wedge. 

What do I lose not having a "lob" wedge? Though both of my CB Pro S wedges I consider Sand wedges. 

"You" don't need it. You said you suck with it. Either it is your go to club or not. I use my lob just like every other club on one hand, it's my 80-90 yard club but it's also used to hit everything else around the green. If you prefer to play a lower running shot around the green, do that and practice hitting all your lofted shots with the 56. It just doesn't seem like you have a game that really utilizes the lob wedge.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator

I only carry 48°, 54°, and 60°.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Carry PW (46), GW (50) and SW (56). Have a 60 deg but can't remember last time it was in my  bag. Just remember not ever using it. Carry only 13 clubs (No 3W or 5W, but 3H - 21 deg, 2H - 17 deg, Irons - 4-GW, Driver, Putter) so have a spot if need to.

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!