Sign in to follow this  
Club Rat

Is "Competitive Golf" losing interest?

Note: This thread is 1017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Competitive Golf?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is competitive golf where you play increasing or decreasing or about the same in friendly competitions?

• Increasing
    • Decreasing
    • About the same it has been in past years.

41 posts / 3999 viewsLast Reply

13 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I really want to compete in a tournament - even it's just one to see whether I'd do ok or fold under the "pressure".

I just don't know of any close to my area. I also don't know anything about how much the fees are or how they setup the different skill levels. There's a little bit of insecurity with regards to my knowledge of the handicap system and the rules of different formats.

Still, I'd sign up in a heartbeat if it was an easy deal.

@JonMA1 I see you have a Bucs insignia as your avatar.  Are you in the Tampa area?  If so, I belong to a group called the Tampa Bay AM Tour.  They have tourneys, year round, at different courses around the area, at least 1 a month.  It's free to join and the cost to play each tourney is really affordable, compared to the Golf Channel Am Tour or the Golfweek Tour.  Here is the link to check it out.  www.tampabayamtour.com 

Edited by djfajt71
I didn't like the wording of one of the sentences.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

6 hours ago, chilepepper said:

Have you checked out your states golf association? The one I belong to , SCGA, has numerous tournaments throughout the year for all levels.

I just checked the Golf Association of Michigan and they have a "GolfWeek Amateur Tour" with different flights. The rules seem pretty straightforward. The fees are anywhere from $80 to $200. It doesn't look like there are any tournaments in my immediate area, however.

I'll call some local clubs and probably ask some of the folks I work with.

6 hours ago, djfajt71 said:

@JonMA1 I see you have a Bucs insignia as your avatar.  Are you in the Tampa area?  If so, I belong to a group called the Tampa Bay AM Tour.  They have tourneys, year round, at different courses around the area, at least 1 a month.  It's free to join and the cost to play each tourney is really affordable, compared to the Golf Channel Am Tour or the Golfweek Tour.  Here is the link to check it out.  www.tampabayamtour.com 

Thanks @djfajt71 for the information. I was born and spent most of my life in St. Pete but moved to Michigan several years ago.

The prices in that Tampa By AM Tour seem reasonable to me. Looks like many are $45-$50 plus a $24 purse fee. I'd be willing to pay that just for the experience. Hopefully, I can find something comparable up here.

I just dropped my club membership this Fall but I think the competitive tournaments at the club were pretty consistent to the prior year.  I play on the local GC Am Tour, though, and we've been steadily adding a few more events over the last year and I think the Tour Director has a couple more he wants to add in 2017.

Funny, as someone who's played close to 600 rounds over the past 6 years since I started playing, I have never had any interest in playing competitively.    I think it reflects your personality - some are more social or competitive ... golf to me is a personal quest to see how good I can get.     My most enjoyable golf is when I'm the only one on the course, it's quiet, and I can focus 100% on my game.   It's therapeutic.    Don't get me wrong, I try like hell to get the best out of my game and the body I have left, but it's never been a competitive thing for me. (unless I'm playing my one coworker who's 20 years younger and an avid golfer (hits it 50 yds past me) & really wants to beat me ... I love playing my control game and cleaning his clock ... LOL)

17 minutes ago, inthehole said:

Funny, as someone who's played close to 600 rounds over the past 6 years since I started playing, I have never had any interest in playing competitively.    I think it reflects your personality - some are more social or competitive ... golf to me is a personal quest to see how good I can get.     My most enjoyable golf is when I'm the only one on the course, it's quiet, and I can focus 100% on my game.   It's therapeutic.    Don't get me wrong, I try like hell to get the best out of my game and the body I have left, but it's never been a competitive thing for me. (unless I'm playing my one coworker who's 20 years younger and an avid golfer (hits it 50 yds past me) & really wants to beat me ... I love playing my control game and cleaning his clock ... LOL)

Golf is a personal quest that can be very social and interactive through it.  Another extension of finding out how good you can get is to see how good your game is under the pressure of competition.  I have always strived for personal improvement but like the increased intensity of competition, whether it be in the form of a marathon or golf tournament.  

Note: This thread is 1017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!