IGNORED

Trump Stiffs Hole in 1 Winner

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should He Pay Up?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Donald Pay Up?

• Open the checkbook.
    • No way, Jose.

A couple of on-topic random tidbits:

• I was playing in a tournament recently (we played well, I bragged about it on here, so you may have heard about it) that had a hole-in-one prize involving an insurance company.  It wasn't a million dollars, and in fact, I think it was only like $1,000.  But the insurance company required a minimum distance for everybody that was close to 150 yards just like the OP.  Funny thing is that this is a retirement community so the vast, vast majority of the women in this tournament couldn't hit a driver 150 yards on flat ground with roll, let alone on a par 3 that involves carrying all the way to the green.
  • Several years ago, in a charity tournament that my mom hosts they had a hole-in-one contest for a car (small bmw suv) that a guy actually won.  Turns out that in filling out all of the paperwork, the insurance company learned that he was a professional, which made him ineligible per their contest rules, so he didn't get the car.

P.S.  Here's a shameless plug for this years version of said tournament:

alzheimers.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Such is the nature of modern politics, but this post is not about Hillary or the election. 

Agreed but the story wouldn't have even been published if Trump wasn't running for POTUS.  Trump had nothing to do with this, other than maybe sign off on the hole in one insurance policy.  I doubt Trump was the one that set up the tee markers and while it sucks that someone made a mistake and set the tee market too short, it has nothing to do with Trump.  

I don't see the Walton family brought up every time something happens at Walmart.  Trumps name is on a lot of things that doesn't mean he's directly responsible.  

Joe Paradiso

15 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Of course not, next article will blame Trump for the toilets not being clean enough.  

Like Hillary threw some of her personal money toward the families that died in Benghazi due to her lack of action?  

Off topic. Please stick to the OP. We all know your preferences Joe and don't need you to rant on other threads.

Same goes for everyone else. If you want to rant about the election, do it in The Grill Room. There the mods can contain it and eventually lock the thread because people can't behave.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It seems odd that people jump to a side on this issue based on their political leaning. I wonder if the people who say to pay up would reverse their decision if this was Hillary Clinton's event. At any rate, here is the way I think of this. If you pay $100 to enter a scramble which was advertised with one or several hole-in-one prizes, would you expect someone to pay out if you made an ace and then found out that the insurance company wouldn't cover the bet? Somebody, I'm not sure who in this case, made an offer which you accepted by paying the entry fee.

Off topic stuff...

Spoiler

I find it interesting to see all the comments that Trump should pay up because he can afford it. Does this mean that you owe everyone who has or makes less money than you do? 

• Upvote 1

- Shane

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Hide contents

I find it interesting to see all the comments that Trump should pay up because he can afford it. Does this mean that you owe everyone who has or makes less money than you do? 

From the sounds of it, the guy who made the hole in one wasn't exactly hard up for cash either. So I'm not sure how that applies here.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

17 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It seems odd that people jump to a side on this issue based on their political leaning. I wonder if the people who say to pay up would reverse their decision if this was Hillary Clinton's event. At any rate, here is the way I think of this. If you pay $100 to enter a scramble which was advertised with one or several hole-in-one prizes, would you expect someone to pay out if you made an ace and then found out that the insurance company wouldn't cover the bet? Somebody, I'm not sure who in this case, made an offer which you accepted by paying the entry fee.

Off topic stuff...

Hide contents

The OP seemed to assign blame to Trump and indicated along with others here that Trump should pay out of his pocket because he was wealthy.  I pointed out this would be a non-story if Trump wasn't running for POTUS, otherwise my opinion has nothing to do with Trump running for POTUS.  

Someone screwed up the tee box location or where the hole was cut.  It could be an innocent mistake, whoever cut the hole didn't communicate with who placed the tee box markers.  It could also be intentional, let's set the distance so even if someone does put it in, we won't pay out because the distance is shorter than 150 yards in which case, the contest was fraudulent and charges should be filed against the club.  It's also possible that no one knew the exact terms of the hole in one insurance policy that was taken out.  

What should happen is that everyone that participated in the hole in one competition should be offered their money back, the guy who scored a hole in one should get a nice plaque for his accomplishment, a pass for numerous free rounds for him and 3 guests for the course and that's it.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

16 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

than a hole in one on a Par 5 uphill into a strong wind while drunk.

Were you behind me when I hit that monster shot, up the hill, into the wind?
I was way too dunk to recall who was there on that super long par 5!

On topic- I think this is a non-story if the course is owned by "generic golf course owner"!
However when the course is owned by or the tournament is played on a the course of someone who has a self designated reputation of "the best" of everything, this can be expected.
Trump as an owner has made a point to tell us that he checks on everything from the water bottles to the stairs, one can only assume that if the owner wants to take credit for all the "great" at his course he is going to get an earful when things do not rise to the level of "great".

I would say to a lesser, more off topic-political extent, if people are going to hold HRC "personally responsible" for Benghazi!!!!! deaths, is it that far of a stretch to assume that DT good on a hole in 1?
But in reality the answer to both is NO!!!!

Edited by Elmer

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

17 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

I originally responded but then decided not to, and since the point of hole-in-one insurance was brought up, I won't go there. What I will echo is that this is a story that is political in nature and is using a golf tournament to make it's point. 

The real story is that Donald snuck onto the course that morning, adjusted the tees to 149 yards and waited for the unsuspecting golfer to tee off. Donald, sitting greenside on a pile of cash, started laughing as the golfer holed out. The golfer immediately went to stuff his golf bag with the cash, but Donald whipped out the small print and a tape measure while doing his most famous evil laugh, "Bwahahahahaha!". He did this because he noticed that the golfer had a "Hillary" sticker on his car when he pulled up to Trump National that day.

I am not buying the Washington Post's attempt to politicize an insurance company not paying a hole-in-one claim because of a possible yardage minimum.  

You forgot the part where he was lighting his cigar with $100 bills...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

35 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Were you behind me when I hit that monster shot, up the hill, into the wind?
I was way too dunk to recall who was there on that super long par 5!

On topic- I think this is a non-story if the course is owned by "generic golf course owner"!
However when the course is owned by or the tournament is played on a the course of someone who has a self designated reputation of "the best" of everything, this can be expected.
Trump as an owner has made a point to tell us that he checks on everything from the water bottles to the stairs, one can only assume that if the owner wants to take credit for all the "great" at his course he is going to get an earful when things do not rise to the level of "great".

I would say to a lesser, more off topic-political extent, if people are going to hold HRC "personally responsible" for Benghazi!!!!! deaths, is it that far of a stretch to assume that DT good on a hole in 1?
But in reality the answer to both is NO!!!!

Stop with the OT add ins please. Next person gets a warning.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

38 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

You forgot the part where he was lighting his cigar with $100 bills...

19-things-you-didnt-know-about-scrooge-m

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

It seems odd that people jump to a side on this issue based on their political leaning. I wonder if the people who say to pay up would reverse their decision if this was Hillary Clinton's event.

Since the Clinton Foundation is the main beneficiary of the PGA Tour's CareerBuilder Challenge pro-am, this seems like an easy scenario to check out. What did this guy get?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

14 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Since the Clinton Foundation is the main beneficiary of the PGA Tour's CareerBuilder Challenge pro-am, this seems like an easy scenario to check out. What did this guy get?

I don't see the point here?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Back to the golf and golf event aspect.  Someone screwed up.  The only "person" with a motivation to avoid a pay-out was the insurance company, and I'm pretty sure they didn't set the tees or the pin that day.  So it was a mistake.  I'm sure it happens several times every year, where insured HOI payments are denied because the insurer's rules weren't followed.  It happens, and it shouldn't be a big story.

All of the rest, the identities of the course owner and the "ace-man", the lawsuit, its resolution, and the question of who made the payment, may be appropriate subjects in legal or political discussions, but really don't belong in the Golf Talk section.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Back to the golf and golf event aspect.  Someone screwed up.  The only "person" with a motivation to avoid a pay-out was the insurance company, and I'm pretty sure they didn't set the tees or the pin that day.  So it was a mistake.  I'm sure it happens several times every year, where insured HOI payments are denied because the insurer's rules weren't followed.  It happens, and it shouldn't be a big story.

All of the rest, the identities of the course owner and the "ace-man", the lawsuit, its resolution, and the question of who made the payment, may be appropriate subjects in legal or political discussions, but really don't belong in the Golf Talk section.

I guess that is what I am trying to figure out. Was the insurance company negligent by not checking before hand and/or informing the tournament organizer that the 150 criteria had not been met if they did check? Is it on the organizer's responsibility to make sure? It doesn't seem clear who knew what and when in this case. 

- Shane

My best guess, and I emphasize guess, is that the insurance arrangement is done over the phone, or the internet, and that a rep from the insurer is almost never actually on-site.  If I'm wrong, and the insurer knew in advance that the hole wasn't playing long enough, I'd say they definitely were negligent if they didn't notify the tournament organizers.  In my view, its up to whoever makes the insurance arrangements to understand the requirements and make sure they're followed.  Just because I have too much time on my hands today, I went to www.holeinoneinsurance.com and looked at their application form.  The requirements for yardage and witnesses are pretty dang clear, there's really no excuse.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I dunno. I'd be pretty mad about losing a million dollar because someone else "screwed up."

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 minutes ago, jamo said:

I dunno. I'd be pretty mad about losing a million dollar because someone else "screwed up."

I'm not saying the guy shouldn't get paid, he should, he did his part.  I'm just not sure who screwed up, and who should be the one making the payment.  I'm reasonably sure the insurance company performed as required by its agreement, insurance companies simply don't make payments if all of the requirements aren't met.  That leaves the charity and the golf club, and we'll never know the details of their arrangement.

Dave

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My best guess, and I emphasize guess, is that the insurance arrangement is done over the phone, or the internet, and that a rep from the insurer is almost never actually on-site.  If I'm wrong, and the insurer knew in advance that the hole wasn't playing long enough, I'd say they definitely were negligent if they didn't notify the tournament organizers.  In my view, its up to whoever makes the insurance arrangements to understand the requirements and make sure they're followed.  Just because I have too much time on my hands today, I went to www.holeinoneinsurance.com and looked at their application form.  The requirements for yardage and witnesses are pretty dang clear, there's really no excuse.  

I would think they would have a representative on site for that amount of scratch. A million bucks would divide up nicely between a witness and a foursome. ;-)

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!