IGNORED

Trump Stiffs Hole in 1 Winner

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should He Pay Up?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Donald Pay Up?

• Open the checkbook.
    • No way, Jose.

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I finally caught up to that in his last post. I thought he was saying that DT was obligated to pay based on his wealth, but now I see that I was wrong. 

When the question comes down to image, I think Mr. Trump would be inclined to actively work toward a happy resolution, if this were to happen today.  Six years ago, however, I think he preferred to maintain his image as a tough businessman, and worked to make his payment as small as he could get away with.  That shouldn't be an indictment of him, that's what pretty much every business in the country would try to do, whether they were legitimately at fault or not..

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

When the question comes down to image, I think Mr. Trump would be inclined to actively work toward a happy resolution, if this were to happen today.  Six years ago, however, I think he preferred to maintain his image as a tough businessman, and worked to make his payment as small as he could get away with.  That shouldn't be an indictment of him, that's what pretty much every business in the country would try to do, whether they were legitimately at fault or not..

Maybe yes. Maybe no. The oddest things see to boost his support when conventional thinking would indicate the opposite. A lot of people are scratching their heads. Regardless, this incident got me wondering about the liability involved in offering a hole-in-one prize. To put a different twist on this, what if you organized a HIO contest and the insurance company closed it's doors the day before the tournament and you didn't know. Would you be on the hook to pay up?

- Shane

I don't think he would do it any different. There is a suit going on right now in which members at Trump National Jupiter are suing saying they were denied access but still billed when they wanted out of their memberships after the Ritz Carlton sold out. Honestly, these stories are not really big stories and people are exercising legal remedies. 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-trump-golf-course-trial-20160815-story.html

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

No it doesn't.

You don't think people going to see an opportunity when a wealthy business man pays out to something he was not directly involved in, just shut people up and go forward?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I dont like the man, i find him a touch slimey if you know what i mean so i could see him intentionally asking the event staff to "accidentally" set the tee too short.

However, the changes he has made to Turnbery are very good. other than that he's a bit on a nob!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

1 minute ago, RussUK said:

I dont like the man, i find him a touch slimey if you know what i mean so i could see him intentionally asking the event staff to "accidentally" set the tee too short.

However, the changes he has made to Turnbery are very good. other than that he's a bit on a nob!

Despite your feelings about him, do you think he should pay up. If you were the tournament organizer, would you willingly pay up if the insurance company declined?

You have to explain "a bit on a nob". Is that one of those English sayings? :-)

• Upvote 1

- Shane

4 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Knob or not, why would you buy the insurance already, then set it up for failure when it is out of your hands. Makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

Despite your feelings about him, do you think he should pay up. If you were the tournament organizer, would you willingly pay up if the insurance company declined?

You have to explain "a bit on a nob". Is that one of those English sayings? :-)

Yes, a bit of a nob means he's an idiot :-D

He should pay up. If you bought something and the label said it was $29.99 and at the till they said it was $40 you would argue that the advertised price would stand and generally speaking thats what would happen, the staff made  mistake and would honour the marked price.

The event staf made a mistake so Trump should honour the Hole in one. It wasnt the players fault after all.

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

1 minute ago, RussUK said:

Yes, a bit of a nob means he's an idiot :-D

He should pay up. If you bought something and the label said it was $29.99 and at the till they said it was $40 you would argue that the advertised price would stand and generally speaking thats what would happen, the staff made  mistake and would honour the marked price.

The event staf made a mistake so Trump should honour the Hole in one. It wasnt the players fault after all.

I figured it meant something along those lines. ;-)

So would you pay up if it were you?

- Shane

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

I figured it meant something along those lines. ;-)

So would you pay up if it were you?

Of course. Im an English Gentleman! ;-)

Wouldnt be sporting not to

• Upvote 1

Just now, RussUK said:

Of course. Im an English Gentleman! ;-)

Wouldnt be sporting not to

Good man! :-)

I think with me it would be a non issue. If that much money was on the line, I would personally make sure that the distance would be covered under the insurance policy. 

- Shane

18 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

You don't think people going to see an opportunity when a wealthy business man pays out to something he was not directly involved in, just shut people up and go forward?

We're not talking about a "shut people up and go forward", sweep something ugly under the rug to make it go away, type situation here ... we're talking about an opportunistic, happy,goodwill, photo-op, "look at these nice things I do", type situation.  Totally different.  

27 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

I don't think he would do it any different. There is a suit going on right now in which members at Trump National Jupiter are suing saying they were denied access but still billed when they wanted out of their memberships after the Ritz Carlton sold out. Honestly, these stories are not really big stories and people are exercising legal remedies. 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-trump-golf-course-trial-20160815-story.html

A little off topic,
But for someone who is not a member any where, that was an interesting article about a fascinating lawsuit!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Again, the insurance company declined because the terms of the insurance agreement were not met.  The fault for that has to rest on the two other parties involved, either the golf club or the charity or both.  And as I said before, every business in the country would seek to minimize its payment, whether it is at fault or not.

As an aside, I deal with construction contracts in my work, although I'm no lawyer.  In almost every contract, the "big company" general contractor requires us, the "little company" subcontractor, to cover their attorney fees and damages if we share negligence in regards to a claim.  If their negligence contributed 90%, and mine contributed 10%, I still pay the entire bill.  The practice of pushing the results of someone's negligence onto someone else is as American as the American Bar Association.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Again, the insurance company declined because the terms of the insurance agreement were not met.  The fault for that has to rest on the two other parties involved, either the golf club or the charity or both.  And as I said before, every business in the country would seek to minimize its payment, whether it is at fault or not.

As an aside, I deal with construction contracts in my work, although I'm no lawyer.  In almost every contract, the "big company" general contractor requires us, the "little company" subcontractor, to cover their attorney fees and damages if we share negligence in regards to a claim.  If their negligence contributed 90%, and mine contributed 10%, I still pay the entire bill.  The practice of pushing the results of someone's negligence onto someone else is as American as the American Bar Association.

It always gets messy when there are multi-party agreements. In that case, you are agreeing to that when you sign the contract. In this case, the participant had no agreement with the insurance company, and it isn't clear whether the tournament organizer had control or influence over the course setup. It's a mess.

- Shane

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RussUK said:

Uhhhhh…

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

Knob or not, why would you buy the insurance already, then set it up for failure when it is out of your hands. Makes no sense.

Right. If you pay the insurance money it makes no sense to break one of their rules intentionally.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Uhhhhh…

Right. If you pay the insurance money it makes no sense to break one of their rules intentionally.

of course it makes no sense to the likes of you and I but we're not billionaires. There is the opinion that those who have lots of money loathe to part with any of it. Plus "if" it was intentional there would be no way to prove it. Never said he did it, just that he could

Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!