IGNORED

Coffee drinkers

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Screw keurigs. I've had one of these (a little different, couldn't find a pic of the exact one) for 20+ years and it makes kickass coffee.  image.png

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

Screw keurigs. I've had one of these (a little different, couldn't find a pic of the exact one) for 20+ years and it makes kickass coffee.  image.png

I dunno... something about this pic looks obscene... can't quite put my finger on it though...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

French press for me. Four scoops of grounds. Fill the pot to a near boil. Pour in. Stir. Wait 30 seconds. Then press. Wait two minutes for the sediment to settle. Pour. That'll wake you up. 

And you can use the coffee grounds around your plants!

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I got a Keurig as an apartment-warming gift a few months ago.  I now leave my large coffee pot at my office, although I don't use it there either.  

I prefer coffee from a traditional maker, but the Keurig is so convenient on weekends, and the DD cups come out tasting good enough.  We also have a Keurig at work that I use when I get coffee at work (making me wonder why I leave the large pot here too) and that's fine.

I haven't used the fill-your-own though.  Coffee when I'm not at work is such a minor expense that I don't try to optimize for it. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

18 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I got a Keurig as an apartment-warming gift a few months ago.  I now leave my large coffee pot at my office, although I don't use it there either.  

I prefer coffee from a traditional maker, but the Keurig is so convenient on weekends, and the DD cups come out tasting good enough.  We also have a Keurig at work that I use when I get coffee at work (making me wonder why I leave the large pot here too) and that's fine.

I haven't used the fill-your-own though.  Coffee when I'm not at work is such a minor expense that I don't try to optimize for it. 

I hear you .  When I used a traditional coffee maker, I would usually leave some coffee in the pot and later on have to throw it out. On the ones that had a warming base, if left unattended for any length of time, they would just burn off leaving a sludge in the bottom of the carafe. The same can be said for many of the traditional makers unless you get  full blown expresso machine, Ninja, e.t.c.   That is not a worry with the Keurig, except when you want more than that first cup, then you have to brew another. Even with the larger Keurig's that hold more water, they are still single servings (at least the ones I have seen). OTOH, in the case of freshly ground beans of your own choosing, the Keurig resuable is the way to go once you get the proper amount figured out.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I won't buy a Keurig, although I have used one and it is convenient.   It's just that, if you spend the money for a Keurig, and if you use 3 K-cups per day for a year, the money you have spent on coffee would buy you a new set of irons. 

Besides, a $19.95 Mr. Coffee makes coffee that is just as good, and if you use Folgers or Maxwell House ground coffee, it costs about 10 cents a cup, vs 60 or 70 cents a cup for the K-cups.   Do the math.   If you drink 3 cups of coffee a day, at 70 cents a cup, that's $766 a year just for the coffee, not counting the cost of the machine. 

And if you put your own ground coffee in a Keurig, what's the point?   Why not just get a $9.95 single cup coffee maker? 

70 cents for a cup of coffee doesn't sound like much, but it's 70 cents 2 or 3 times a day, every single day, that's a lot of money for coffee when a Mr. Coffee will give you just as good a cup of coffee for 10 cents a cup! 

Edited by Marty2019

24 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I won't buy a Keurig, although I have used one and it is convenient.   It's just that, if you spend the money for a Keurig, and if you use 3 K-cups per day for a year, the money you have spent on coffee would buy you a new set of irons. 

Besides, a $19.95 Mr. Coffee makes coffee that is just as good, and if you use Folgers or Maxwell House ground coffee, it costs about 10 cents a cup, vs 60 or 70 cents a cup for the K-cups.   Do the math.   If you drink 3 cups of coffee a day, at 70 cents a cup, that's $766 a year just for the coffee, not counting the cost of the machine. 

And if you put your own ground coffee in a Keurig, what's the point?   Why not just get a $9.95 single cup coffee maker? 

70 cents for a cup of coffee doesn't sound like much, but it's 70 cents 2 or 3 times a day, every single day, that's a lot of money for coffee when a Mr. Coffee will give you just as good a cup of coffee for 10 cents a cup! 

But, this thread is about the reusable k-cups.  I've been using the same 4 reusable k-cups for about 2 years.  I fill them with Trader Joe's coffee (beans that I grind myself).  Good coffee, low cost per cup.

• Administrator

From what my wife tells me, you're all missing out…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yes if you enjoy weak coffee, it's okay.

+1

Why bother with a kuerig if you are just going to do all the steps required to make normal pots of coffee.

Great comment! Since when did brewing a simple cup of coffee get so damn complicated!

13 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

I dunno... something about this pic looks obscene... can't quite put my finger on it though...

Interesting...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

10 hours ago, iacas said:

From what my wife tells me, you're all missing out…

Which part? Watery convenience or destroying the environment one tiny cup at a time...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

15 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Looks like way too much work.

6 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Great comment! Since when did brewing a simple cup of coffee get so damn complicated!

When you don't want to make an entire pot and/or one person in the family wants flavored coffee and the other doesn't.  

I Love the Keurig, fast and easy.  I too have the reusable k-cups, I have a dozen of them.  Fill them in advance, fill them almost to the top and use the middle button.  I buy all kinds of ground coffee for use.  For just K-Cups, try the CoffeePeople Jet Fuel for a bold coffee.  Dark Magic by Green Mountain is a pretty good one as well.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Which part? Watery convenience or destroying the environment one tiny cup at a time...

Uhm…? Neither part of that makes any sense.

You can make super black coffee with that, and what destroys the environment? You can buy a re-usable filter (which also allows more of the oils through if you like that sort of thing).

I think maybe you were responding to the K-Cup people, @Valleygolfer, because the AeroPress isn't even all that convenient. Particularly if you grind your own beans.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

By that do you mean the cardboard cups that you get from the likes of Starbucks and Costa?

They aren't actually recyclable due to the non porous coating on the inside. There was a program on Channel 4 here in the uk. Only cafe nero commented on it and even then it was like listening to a politician.

I generally make my "posh" coffee in a cafatiere. Takes longer but im a tight fisted yorkshireman!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

12 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Maxwell House and Folgers wouldn't be on my list to drink.

Unless you are buying the smallest box you can get the k-cups for a lot less than 70 cents each.  Buy it from Costco and you can get it down to 40 cents on their brand or 50-54 cents on the better coffees.  San Francisco Bay coffee is 35 cents each.  You can find them on Amazon for under 40 cents also, you can pay more for it but just doing a search can bring the price down a lot. 

And for most people (my wife), she doesn't want to have to clean the coffee pot filter or coffee pot when there is lots left.  She would rather just take out the cup and throw it away.  Doesn't matter to her if it takes minutes to clean a filter.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Uhm…? Neither part of that makes any sense.

You can make super black coffee with that, and what destroys the environment? You can buy a re-usable filter (which also allows more of the oils through if you like that sort of thing.

I think maybe you were responding to the K-Cup people, @Valleygolfer, because the AeroPress isn't even all that convenient. Particularly if you grind your own beans.

I was but you didn't clarify what post on this thread we were talking about. Who uses the aeropress? That last guy is way too serious about coffee.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I was but you didn't clarify what post on this thread we were talking about. Who uses the aeropress? That last guy is way too serious about coffee.

My post says "my wife."

I started drinking coffee late in life (25-ish) since I didn't really like the taste, even after I got used to it. Then I found out about hand brewing and fresh coffee beans. Since then I've become a bit of a coffee enthusiast, and very much a minority.

I started out with an Aeropress, which is a wonderful coffee brewer. It's very easy and forgiving to use, require little equipment and doesn't take too much space. I still make a cup now and then, but my girlfriend uses it more than me. Since moving on to other things, I've found a preference in pour-over. At the same time I bought a Wilfa electric coffee grinder, which my GF still uses. It's cheap in that market segment, but it didn't perform as good as I'd wanted.

71kcK6mMFVL._SX355_.jpg

Initially I bought supermarket/grocery store beans, but after trying fresh beans from a local roasters, the entire experience changed drastically. Now the coffee started tasting really good and I could try all these different types of beans from different countries. And every cup didn't just taste coffee. You can get all kinds of different flavors: citrus, red berries, chocolate, nuts, flowers, dried fruit, caramel, vanilla and so on. Today I only buy fresh beans from Norwegian roasters and I have a preference for African coffee.

My next buy was the Kalita Wave, which is a pour-over brewer from Japan. Pretty similar to most pour-overs and one often recommended to beginners. They claim it's easier to brew consistently with than some others, but there are conflicting experiences there. I've spent some time working out the technique and most importantly grind size, and I'm very happy with the cups I make today. I got the metal dripper, a glass server and the Kalita gooseneck kettle, which makes the pouring job easier and better than just using the water boiler.

Kalita_Wave_Kettle_Dripper_large.JPG?106

As I started experimenting with the Kalita, I found it difficult to dial in the grind size. I tasted samples at the roaster and in coffee shops, but couldn't get the same results at home. That's when I started looking at my grinder. The roaster is using a Mahlkõnig  EK 43, which cost around $2500 USD. My $50 grinder was clearly not in the same league, but buying an EK 43 is not exactly an option, so I started reading Reddit's coffee forum and learned a thing or twenty. I ended up buying a Lido 3 hand grinder for $200, which they say outperforms electric grinders in the same price segment. It is quite large and weights 2 lbs, but I'm loving it. Where the Wilfa grinder produced 30% fines (very fine grains), the Lido produced around 8%, which is a much better number and closer to the great electric grinders (EK 43). The overall grain size is also a lot better with the Lido 3. With inconsistent grind size and too many fines, it's difficult to make great cups.

lido3.jpg

So today I'm happily brewing with the Lido 3, Kalita Wave and fresh beans (mostly African). I had to invest a bit into it and it does take more time to brew than with automatic equipment, but the taste is so good, it's all worth it. The typical coffee I get served at most homes, restaurants or coffee shops are not even close. Coffee shops that use fresh beans and pour-over or Aeropress makes great coffee, but they are in the vast minority. The Starbucks and whatnot are dominating the market with what is in my opinion not very good coffee.

I'll never go back to drinking that kind of coffee. It's like a bad red wine compared to a great red wine. I've never drunk coffee for the caffeine and waking up effect, so I don't chug down large amounts without caring about the taste. I'm 100% in it for the taste and make 1-2 cups a day (200-250 ml per cup), and never drink it with a meal. I also never add anything to it (milk, sugar). Before I started using fresh beans, I always wanted something sweet with it, or sugar in it. Today I don't even want anything on the side, since it interferes and ruins the coffee taste. Sweet pastry (esp. cinnamon buns) is my preference if anything, but good coffee can be sweet in itself. The way I see it, you need sugar, milk or something else to make bad coffee taste good. With good coffee, you don't want anything to ruin the taste.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 2687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!