Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hacker James

Coffee drinkers

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

47 posts / 3726 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Just curious. How many of you use Keurig Coffee Makers?  I recently purchased the K-Cup accessory in order I might grind my own coffee beans and also to save a little from not having to purchase the ready made single serving cups. Trouble is, no two cups tastes the same as it is difficult to get the same amount of coffee grounds. Fill to brim? tamp down?  it varies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

26 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Just curious. How many of you use Keurig Coffee Makers?  I recently purchased the K-Cup accessory in order I might grind my own coffee beans and also to save a little from not having to purchase the ready made single serving cups. Trouble is, no two cups tastes the same as it is difficult to get the same amount of coffee grounds. Fill to brim? tamp down?  it varies.

I abandoned the K-Cup a long time ago. Even if you use measured amounts, how you tamp it down also affects the taste. It got the fill spout clogged up with grounds all the time, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife has one and she loves it.   We brew DD on the weekends in a regular coffee pot.   She gets different coffees in the Kuerig and says it's pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

My wife has one and she loves it.   We brew DD on the weekends in a regular coffee pot.   She gets different coffees in the Kuerig and says it's pretty good. 

Yes if you enjoy weak coffee, it's okay.

13 hours ago, billchao said:

I abandoned the K-Cup a long time ago. Even if you use measured amounts, how you tamp it down also affects the taste. It got the fill spout clogged up with grounds all the time, too.

+1

Why bother with a kuerig if you are just going to do all the steps required to make normal pots of coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yes if you enjoy weak coffee, it's okay.

Why bother with a kuerig if you are just going to do all the steps required to make normal pots of coffee.

Ha! Ha!  I'd say we both like something not too strong, but not weak either.   When I am not home in the morning it's easier to put in a K-Cup instead of brewing a small pot.  I've only done it a couple of times, but isn't it just popping it in and then making sure a cup is underneath?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yes if you enjoy weak coffee, it's okay.

+1

Why bother with a kuerig if you are just going to do all the steps required to make normal pots of coffee.

I use the Starbuck French Roast K Cups and really enjoy the coffee that they produce.  If you find a K-Cup you like, then Keurig is very convenient and fast coffee brewer.  

I like strong coffee and I've found that anything other than Bold and Extra Bold K Cups produce coffee that is too weak for my taste.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont use K cups. Not a fan of them at all. The convenience of them isnt worth the product you get from them, IMO.  I cant think of anything more american than that invention....

I get cans of whole beans from trader joes.  Usually the Cafe Paro and Bolivian blends and i mix them together in a grinder. The cans go 7 bucks a piece, but they last me for months and in the long run its actually cheaper than buying ground coffee in the bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Why bother with a kuerig if you are just going to do all the steps required to make normal pots of coffee.

Agreed. TBH, I don't use my Keurig much anymore. I don't make coffee during the week because I can get it at work and when I am home on the weekends I don't need to save time so I grind my beans fresh and use my french press.

If I ever buy another coffee maker I'll probably go with one of those bean to coffee numbers with the built in grinder. Or maybe an espresso machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Just curious. How many of you use Keurig Coffee Makers?  I recently purchased the K-Cup accessory in order I might grind my own coffee beans and also to save a little from not having to purchase the ready made single serving cups. Trouble is, no two cups tastes the same as it is difficult to get the same amount of coffee grounds. Fill to brim? tamp down?  it varies.

I fill the thing to the brim and use the large setting.
That is a 1 cup of coffee for me.
I prefer using my french press, but rarely have the time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Agreed. TBH, I don't use my Keurig much anymore. I don't make coffee during the week because I can get it at work and when I am home on the weekends I don't need to save time so I grind my beans fresh and use my french press.

If I ever buy another coffee maker I'll probably go with one of those bean to coffee numbers with the built in grinder. Or maybe an espresso machine.

I do the French press as well. Got a lectric hot water boiler that has a timer, best and most useful device I own in the kitchen. Boils water in 2-3 minutes and saves me gas for cooking foods as well.

Just now, Elmer said:

I fill the thing to the brim and use the large setting.
That is a 1 cup of coffee for me.
I prefer using my french press, but rarely have the time!

That just makes a mess with a Keurig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the interest and suggestions.  I've found a place in San Diego that has coffee from around the world. It is located in the downtown area in Barrio Logan (Logan Heights). It is called Cafe Moto. They have a back room where all the machinery and antique tools are kept and the coffee is ground on the premises.You watch from an observation area through a glass wall.  You can buy it in small packages or up to 5 pound bags, whole bean or custom grind.  They also sell just about everything imaginable in the way of grinders, french presses, mugs, coffee makers, utensils. Out on the street side, is a very small retail type coffee shop. Its a neat experience visiting. 

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When they first arrived at work, I can't remember, 2008, 2007, they were a novelty and the variety of flavors were a novelty, and now they're everywhere, I really don't think the coffee is any better than your typical cup but I'm not choosy, I buy coffee from lots of places, some of them coffee aficionados love and don't see the big deal so insensitive taste buds. Those k cups are not environmentally friendly, the creator himself regrets creating the machine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

When they first arrived at work, I can't remember, 2008, 2007, they were a novelty and the variety of flavors were a novelty, and now they're everywhere, I really don't think the coffee is any better than your typical cup but I'm not choosy, I buy coffee from lots of places, some of them coffee aficionados love and don't see the big deal so insensitive taste buds. Those k cups are not environmentally friendly, the creator himself regrets creating the machine. 

Yes, that's it. I think I was first introduced to them during various hotel visits. I liked the idea of not having to fool around with dumping the grounds each time. You can obviate the environmental concerns by using the re-usable K-cups and your own coffee, but that kind of defeats the purpose. I find it actually, more of a PITA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We have one at work that I use occasionally with DD cups. Not as good as DD, which I get on the way in each morning.

Interesting story on the inventor.

http://archive.boston.com/business/articles/2011/08/07/the_inside_story_of_keurigs_rise_to_a_billion_dollar_coffee_empire/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dont use K cups. Not a fan of them at all. The convenience of them isnt worth the product you get from them, IMO.  I cant think of anything more american than that invention....

I get cans of whole beans from trader joes.  Usually the Cafe Paro and Bolivian blends and i mix them together in a grinder. The cans go 7 bucks a piece, but they last me for months and in the long run its actually cheaper than buying ground coffee in the bag. 

+1 to the Trader Joe's coffee beans.  I use those with a k-cup.  The Keurig is all about making one cup of coffee and not wasting anything (if you use reusable K-cups).

I'm thinking you didn't realize that the K-cups the OP mentioned are the reusable K-cups.  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_6?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=keurig+k+cups&sprefix=keurig%2Caps%2C177

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

+1 to the Trader Joe's coffee beans.  I use those with a k-cup.  The Keurig is all about making one cup of coffee and not wasting anything (if you use reusable K-cups).

I'm thinking you didn't realize that the K-cups the OP mentioned are the reusable K-cups.  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_6?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=keurig+k+cups&sprefix=keurig%2Caps%2C177

But the new K-Cups are unlikely to put an end to the attacks. Recyclable as they may be, the new cups are not compostable. They are not reusable. And Keurig will still be selling billions of pieces of plastic each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I bought a pack of 4, I still have all 4 and have been using them just about every day.  They sure are reusable.  The OP was talking about tamping the coffee down, these are what this thread is about.

k cup.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...