IGNORED

Kevin Na Destroys Slow Play Rep

colin007
Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So WTF is his problem? He can do this by himself? Why not all the time? And a HUUUUGE "STFU" to all the slow players everywhere saying they need the extra time to play better.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/17634401/kevin-na-shreds-reputation-turns-jets-final-round-tour-championship

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think the terms are mutually exclusive, but I wouldn't mind seeing the pace of play picked up just a bit. I think there's a "right" speed for playing golf. I don't like playing "hurry up" golf, nor do I like playing "waiting on every shot" golf.

Well, I might not be running up to my next shot (I'm older than dirt), but I promise to floor the pedal of my cart and get there as fast as I can. :)

Never mind taking time to enjoy the beautiful green fairway, the trees, the smell of the grass, the sunset, etc...

What slows play is is stalking your putt for 7 minutes and then missing it. Again.

Edited by CCC
Got rid of the "you". It's anyone who stalks their putt for - ever.
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Watching him run in at the end of the round was really great and fun to watch. Good for him.

Not impressed. Not fun to watch.

Edited by CCC

Just now, CCC said:

Not impressed. At all.

Share why...maybe? I am interesting hearing your thoughts on why.

Michael

He's in good physical shape. I don't like 'Running Golf'. Does not impress me.
Just a new fad. Go ahead and run to your next shot. I don't care.

On the other hand, 2 hours, 48 minutes on Saturday playing by himself isn't exactly a quick pace. 

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DeadMan said:

On the other hand, 2 hours, 48 minutes on Saturday playing by himself isn't exactly a quick pace. 

It's not slow either. It's still a long course, with some importance…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's overcompensation for a general failure of pro golfers to play at a reasonable pace.  

It was funny and humorous to see Na jogging to his ball, but golfers do not need to run to their ball to finish a round in 4 hours, they need to shorten the time they take to pick a club, consult with their caddie and hit their shot, they need to spend less time reading putts, get rid of all the step in and step outs before addressing the ball, reduce the countless practice swings they take and better utilize the time spent walking to the ball.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

1 minute ago, iacas said:

It's not slow either. It's still a long course, with some importance…

You're right, it's probably about average. But one round under 2 hours where you had to jog to do it doesn't make you a fast player. But at least Na realizes he's slow and seems to try to do something about it. I'd say at least 90% of slow players don't realize that they're actually slow.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Kevin has a sense of humor...Na...actually he does. I'm glad to see him have a good time with it. 

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

23 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

Kevin has a sense of humor...Na...actually he does. I'm glad to see him have a good time with it. 

I also have a sense of humor. (and I am unanimous in that). I agree, Kevin is funny.

Recently we saw tour groups of 3, ovbviously walking, and at times waiting for greens to clear, plumbobbing putts,, checking yardage and wind, you know the usual stuff, they played thier round at the DBC in 3 hours and 30 minutes which I thought was fine.

I immediatly passed it along to my tortise golfers, explaining that they take 15 less swings but walk a 7400 yard course ( as oppossed to 6400), wjy does it take them 4:45-5:30?

I don't know about destroying his reputation. One quick round as a single at the bottom of the leaderboard does not change his history. Funny story though and a nice way to make something special out of a round that didn't have too much excitement, especially since he shot a good number.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

A reputation is almost never changed by a single act, and this will very likely be the same.  My only direct experience with Kevin Na came while I was a marshal at the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst.  Na hit a ball way left on the par-3 sixth hole, where I was on the ropes.  Facing a difficult pitch off the sand path, under the branches of a small tree, over a steep-faced bunker, he pretty quickly assessed the situation and hit an amazing shot into the sliver of grass above the bunker, bumping the ball onto the green.  He was not only quick and decisive, but he and his caddie thanked me and some of the spectators for helping take down and replace the ropes.  I was pretty impressed all the way around.  

• Upvote 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Really great set of circumstances set up for him to do it, so I'm glad he did it.

-playing solo, so he can go as fast as he wants (no fellow competitor to slow him down)

-he can't be accused of messing with a fellow competitor's score

-he's the first group of the day, so no one in front of him

-he was in last place, so it's not like he was trying to salvage a top-10 finish or something.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!