IGNORED

Your biggest miss?

TryingtoPlay
Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 weeks ago... I would have said an 'out of nowhere' slice off the tee.  I'd be hitting shots into the fairway (or just off the fairway), and suddenly, I'd hit a 50 yard slice that ends up in somebody's cereal bowl in a kitchen.  

Currently... a wild hook from the tee.  It started recently and I can't figure it out... at all.  Luckily it hasn't seemed to hurt me too badly (yet), but... it makes it tough because my typical shot shape (for years) has been a fade, so... I prefer to aim at the left side of the fairway.  Now, with this hook, I feel like I can't aim at the left side because it could put me in trouble... so I aim up the right and, when I hit a straight shot, it's a big push.  

... shrug ...

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Scoring: push slice drive off the tee OB. The most strokes on my game.

Frustration: Straight right shank on an approach shot. I remember one time I had 105 yards to low green (I'm at a higher elevation). Standard 95-100 AW that I usually hit very well and plan to putt uphill. The strategy works great because long is bad bad bad, short is okay, center is great, and the green slopes back to front usually meaning uphill putt which I prefer.

There is a thick bushel of those tall whispy plants that looks like wheat or something. Everyone in the SE knows what I'm talking about. It's literally 30 degree right of my target line and 20 yards away. It's only maybe a 200 sqft spot of this stuff... literally shanked that sucker hard into those and lost my ball :mad: I laughed after I did it but it was really irritating. Was probably the most embarrassing shot of my life. The hard right shank is my most frustrating shot. And I know why I do it.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Just one?
Mine are getting the yips while chipping, battling between a skull and a fatty chunk; and off the tee if I get to fast (or try to hit one too hard) then it is a quick pull hook, but that one is fairly easy to fix.

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

My big miss is a push slice

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It used to be a push slice, but after taking lessons it's now a pull hook, when I set-up aligned a bit too open, then over-rotate my upper body, realize it's about to happen, stop (the pull) and the hands take over (the hook). It can happen more than once in a round if I lose concentration...

I should also mention the occasional shank chip/pitch. Again, I know why and it's usually a poor set-up and lack of focus.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

A straight push at the moment, and when I try too hard to correct it, it becomes pull/draw, however, this is my own fault for improving my putting. Whenever I improve anything, something else diminishes.

Gaz Lee

When I actually get the chance to play/practice (all too rare lately), my main miss is a straight push. It's hard to call it a "miss" since it happens enough that I actually play with that shot in mind on the course.

- John

I have had them all.  First was a 3 fairway over slice.  Then I closed my stance and started drawing the ball, leading to the snap hook killing me on the tee.  Next my putter was killing me as one putt would blaze past the hole and the next would not make it half way there.  Stumbled into putting left handed to learn speed control. Then I got loose with my wrist leading to open face pushes killing me on par 3's.  Learned to lock my wrist on those par 3's and started pulling 30 yards left on short par 3's.  Currently I am stuggling on chipping.  One shot I hit the ball twice in the same swing, then blade the ball over the green on the next shot.  Cost me 1 to 2 strokes every missed GIR last round.

Seems like these day my most damaging shot is a shank.  This occurs almost always off a lie that runs away from me and is below my feet.  So far the only solution seems to be to not try to advance the ball very far, e.g. no full swing. 

Butch

Big block right.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My big miss is hitting the ball to short.  Sounds dumb, but it's true.  My short irons and short game is decent enough. I really think I could easily be a single digit (or better) if I could add 15% to all of my clubs.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Push-slice here. If I can avoid it, I can play decent golf (by my standards) as my others misses aren't all that penal, but, man, that push slice is all OBs and ponds and lost balls. Hard to score when your racking up penalty strokes... 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

My biggest miss is topping the ball. I also can hit the ground way behind the golf ball. If i could move the bottom of my swing forward...

Fat/ thin chip or short pitch shots are killing me. I feel like I'm playing well, hitting plenty of fairways and greens, probably averaging 5-10 pars a round.

However if I just miss the green, there's around 50% chance I'll double bogey it. It must be mental because I'll hit loads at the practice area without a problem. 

20 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Fat/ thin chip or short pitch shots are killing me. I feel like I'm playing well, hitting plenty of fairways and greens, probably averaging 5-10 pars a round.

However if I just miss the green, there's around 50% chance I'll double bogey it. It must be mental because I'll hit loads at the practice area without a problem. 

I have exactly the same problem. The people I play with tell me I try to change my swing too much for a pitch or chip compared to a full swing or a putt respectively. Theoretically a pitch should have the same mechanics as a full swing, just with less backswing, and a chip should feel like a hard putt (they're fans of the "bump n run" style chip shot). The chips are settling down for me a bit but I still struggle with the odd "bong hit" (skulled pitch that "burns the green" on its way over to the rough on the other side)

24 minutes ago, Liko81 said:

I have exactly the same problem. The people I play with tell me I try to change my swing too much for a pitch or chip compared to a full swing or a putt respectively. Theoretically a pitch should have the same mechanics as a full swing, just with less backswing, and a chip should feel like a hard putt (they're fans of the "bump n run" style chip shot). The chips are settling down for me a bit but I still struggle with the odd "bong hit" (skulled pitch that "burns the green" on its way over to the rough on the other side)

Haha! This is my favourite shot, especially on a par 5 after two great shots.

My big miss is hitting a driver dead left. I naturally play a fade so my aim point is usually to the left edge of the fairway. When I double cross myself and pull it left, I end up in some dicey places and end up scrambling for bogies. It is happening more frequently and has really hurt my scoring.

Bill M

Snap hook is the most devastating for me. It's an instant 2 stroke penalty for me. It happens maybe once every other round. My other miss, which is related, is a push, but that normally just ends up with me in the right rough, so no big deal.

I've struggled with many misses over the course of my golfing "career." The shank was the most demoralizing. Snap hook is no fun, but I've never hit them often enough to really worry about it. The big push slice sucks, but it's playable.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!