IGNORED

Swing Weight???? D2???? D4????

Boosty16
Note: This thread is 5975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What exactly is swing weight? The irons that I will be purchasing have a swing weight of D2. I notice a lot of pros use D4. What is the difference and is it a big difference???

Before I invest in my clubs I want to make sure I get everything right!!!

In the Edge Bag:

Driver 8.5* 907D2 with Proforce V2 XS
3 Wood 15* 906F2 with Proforce V2 XS
Hybrid 19* 585.F with Project X XSIrons 3-W X-Forged with Project X 6.5Wedges Oil Can 200 Series 52/08 & Oil Can Spin Milled 56/14Putter Circa 62 #2 (34", 71* Lie, 4* Loft)Ball Pro PlatinumGPS...

What exactly is swing weight? The irons that I will be purchasing have a swing weight of D2. I notice a lot of pros use D4. What is the difference and is it a big difference???

Boosty16,

Swing weight is a measure of the weights of the head, shaft, grip in relation to the balance point and length of the shaft. It is also a measure of rotational inertia - the heavier the head and the longer the lever, the tougher it will be for something to move in a circle. The old analogy of the ice skater with her arms out moving slowly and then speeding up as she brings her arms in. Swing weight is mostly about feel - however at the range you are talking about D4 players may lose a little bit of swing speed because the head is so heavy. It is related to tempo though for a lot of players. Often players who rely on tempo and timing like heavier swing weights because it allows them to feel the head better throughout their swing. Lighter swing weights can usually be swung faster and can lead to less fatigue during a round. It's pretty easy to experiment with swing weight, using quarters and tape to adjust swing weight. A quarter weighs 5.64 grams while a dime weighs 2.2g. Each two grams will increase the swing weight a point. So taping a quarter to a club head will increase the swing weight two and a half points, a dime one point. A good and easy way to experiment with swing weights.

Does swing weight have anything to do with the launch angle of an iron?

Hi-bore - 8.5* w/ 77g UST ProForce v2 stiff

PT- 21* x100 shaft

Ta3- Form Forged s300 shaftsVokey 52* 56*- Red X2 center shafted 33" ProV1x- High Numbers only (5's)

Does swing weight have anything to do with the launch angle of an iron?

b_diddy,

It has nothing to do with launch angle. That is determined by: 1. Impact dynamics. 2. Club head construction. 3. Shaft geometry at impact (combined with 1 and 2).

I have a question along the same lines, if you don't mind:

I ordered a g5 sand wedge from the PGA Superstore, because I wanted the shaft lengthened and lie angle adjusted. I never specified the swing weight.

When it came in, I didn't notice it at the time, but the swingweight is D5. I haven't been able to hit it worth a crap.

Is swing weight something that can be adjusted on an existing club, or would I be better off just trading it in and getting a new one?

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

I have a question along the same lines, if you don't mind:

Vanstonica,

Ordering a club over length is a sure fire way to increase swing weight. Any time you increase the length of the lever, the swing weight has to increase as well. In general - each half inch of length is good for three swing weight points. Some OEM's sort heads by head weights and can often pick lighter heads to use in longer than standard clubs to achieve realistic swing weights. Ping is good because they use different weights in their badges to swing weight their irons. You can always send the club back to Ping to be reweighted back to something you like. Another way would be to grind some material off the club to achieve a weight reduction in the head to get the club back to something more manageable. Many players prefer heaver than average swing weights for wedges because it allows them to grip down on the club and still allow it to retain some feel of the head. Also heavier swing weights allow for more feel on slower and half swings which helps many players. Give it a try and see how it feels, if it's not working out for you, send it back to Ping, they'll take care of you.

Many Thanks Gas _Can!!!

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

Vanstonica,

Good points made here.

Also, just the reverse is true. If you want to cut a driver down for more control, say from PING's standard 45 3/4 to 44 3/4 from the butt end you are knocking off 6 points. If you started with a D3 driver then you are now hitting in the upper C's around C9. Start off with a heavier weighted shaft or add some weight to the head if you are wanting to maintain the D3 swingweight.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

Here is what swingweight measures. Take a golf club and "balance it" by placing it across a bar 14" from the end of the grip (like a seesaw). It won't balance - the clubhead side will be too heavy and it will fall. Swingweight is a measure of how hard you have to push on the grip end to make it balance.

If you tape two dimes onto the head of a golf club it will increase the swingweight by around 2 points (say from D2 to D4). It isn't much. And there is no way to know in advance what swingweight is "right for you". D2 is probably a good guess given no other information. It is a lot easier to take the swingweight up vs. taking it down.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Note: This thread is 5975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!