IGNORED

Being a person that everyone loves to play with

BamaWade
Note: This thread is 2757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well written, and for once I have virtually nothing to add.  Although I won't promise NOT to add some nonsensical foolishness later on, after I have a few beers (on you, of course, from the bev cart :beer:).  

Oh, just thought of one more thing.  Do NOT be that old lecher flirting with the bev-cart girl, as if you actually have any chance with the young lady.  Don't make suggestive comments about her after she's left,  Just act as if you're an adult, pretend to be one if that's the only option.  In my world, that's even more embarrassing than the temper tantrums.

• Upvote 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, all I generally want in a playing partner is someone who is at peace with their own game. They know what their talent limit is, and just has fun with what they have. 

They can play better than me, or worse than me. It dosn't matter, although playing against better talent is a good thing for my own game.  They can play fast, or slow. It doesn't matter. Just have fun. 

If they want to be entertaining by "wigging out", or impressing me by playing in a decent, mature manner, it doesn't matter. I will still have a good time. 

Myself, I always play to have a good time. I am very flexible, and can adapt to others's play while on the course. It's just a game. Games are supposed to be fun. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, BamaWade said:

Be “cool” about how you do these things - don't try too hard!  Else, you'll just come across as a seriously weird dude ;-)

Good stuff.  And to this point above, I'll add an example.  I think I fit the mold fairly well of most of what you outlined as a good partner, but I tend to sometimes fall victim to the above - trying to hard.

Specifically, I talk to other peoples balls too much.  I'm only rooting for them to turn out well, but I know that it probably bothers some people, and it's not necessary to make friends.  I'm working on it. :)

Note to self: When in AL play a round with BamaWade. He gets it! 

My number 1 pard, we always fill each others divots and fix pitch marks. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Being a people person, I am adept at finding humor, tastefully, in any round of golf. But yeah, don't throw your clubs. 

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Great posts.   I would just add one thing.   Don't hit your ball into the woods.  The most irritating thing about the guys I play with is the amount of time they spend looking for their ball.   There's one young guy I will not play with any more, because every drive is a slice into the woods followed by a lengthy hunt for the ball.  

So the thing I would add is, respect the game enough to take the time to learn how to hit the ball.   Go to the driving range and get yourself a go-to tee shot that you can hit in the fairway. 

1. I remark on PP's good shots, and stay quiet on the bad ones. I don't say "good shot" just because I hear good contact ( the ball may be 40 yards off target).

2. I use my PP's names regularly (especially if just-met)...Dale Carnegie training 'the one sound each and every person loves is the sound of their name"

3. Mark someone's ball, replace a divot, rake a bunker (esp if he's thinned it over the green) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rcwkent said:

I use my PP's names regularly (especially if just-met)...Dale Carnegie training 'the one sound each and every person loves is the sound of their name"

This is a great point on playing w/strangers (or new friends).  Like many people, I used to be terrible at this, and still have to consciously make an effort to repeat their names when meeting, and still sometimes forget.

I use a trick for it on the golf course:  Right after meeting them, once in the cart, I scribble their name and a quick clothing/hat note to help me remember.  E.g., Dave - pink; Rob - black vest; Erick - red hat.

I have a frequent PP/cart-mate whom I catch glancing at my little cheat-sheet often during the round, haha.

BamaWade

• Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

14 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Oh, just thought of one more thing.  Do NOT be that old lecher flirting with the bev-cart girl, as if you actually have any chance with the young lady.  Don't make suggestive comments about her after she's left,  Just act as if you're an adult, pretend to be one if that's the only option.

Good one.  I think that's actually in one of the articles, too.

I used to have a frequent PP who was the sales guy where we worked.  He was the worst I've seen with this.  Guy was married, but sleazed up to nearly every cart girl.  Once, a particularly cute one (that he'd talked to earlier in the round) was heading our way again.  We could see her from a hole away, so he had time to offer me a proposition:  "Dude, so you're closer to her age than me...I'll give you $100 if you can pick her up right here, and get her back to the hotel room tonight for some fun."

I was in my mid 20's with a wife and young child.  He knew them very well.  When I tried to play it cool with something like, "And die at the hand of my wife?", he replied with the following:  "Your wife is a smart and wonderful lady, just like mine.  Trust me, they know we travel a lot, and we're boys, and boys are boys.  And you may not know this yet, but there is an unspoken understanding.  They know we're bringing home the paycheck, and that we love them, and are always coming home to them."

I wanted like all heck to somehow communicate w/the girl to act as if it was on, and we'd split that sucker's $100. ;-)  Funny enough, that wasn't the worst attempt on me by him.  Guy actually set me up w/a customer's daughter (surprise!) when I thought he and I were going to dinner (he, of course, was with the mom).  Awkward night.

Dude's wife divorced him within a year of that conversation, BTW.  Guess their "understandings" weren't what he thought.

BamaWade

Good post @BamaWade!

BTW, if you are cool dude, IMHO being the low hcper in the group seriously adds to the one's 'attractiveness' as a playing partner... :-). The better your game is, the lesser you have to try..  

Every weekend hack remembers the one time they got paired with a 'plus' capper and wants a repeat experience (unless the fella was a complete jerk)...

Vishal S.

14 hours ago, Patch said:

Well, all I generally want in a playing partner is someone who is at peace with their own game. They know what their talent limit is, and just has fun with what they have. 

This is the 4th stage of golf enlightenment, a journey towards which I'm still on. ;-)

BamaWade

I used to insist on walking even when everyone else in the group was riding a cart.  Made me be the guy no one wanted to play with.  I finally relented and usually just ride now.  Kinda sucks, and I'm getting fatter, but a lot more people want to play with me now.  I guess I just need to set aside more time to exercising elsewhere.

John

21 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Thanks @BamaWade.  Being a good playing partner is an acquired skill, one that most of us are still perfecting.

I'd say every one of us is still working on it.  At least, the ones I'd choose to play with are working on it.  The ones who aren't working on it are usually the ones who annoy their playing partners, and either aren't aware, or don't care.

14 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Specifically, I talk to other peoples balls too much.  I'm only rooting for them to turn out well, but I know that it probably bothers some people, and it's not necessary to make friends.  I'm working on it. :)

I got to play with @Golfingdad just one time, and he's a guy I'd gladly play with every day.  Yet he's still evaluating and trying to improve the way he behaves on the course.  Those of us who care about being a good playing partner are almost uniformly good playing partners already.

• Upvote 3

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

15 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Well written, and for once I have virtually nothing to add.  Although I won't promise NOT to add some nonsensical foolishness later on, after I have a few beers (on you, of course, from the bev cart :beer:).  

Oh, just thought of one more thing.  Do NOT be that old lecher flirting with the bev-cart girl, as if you actually have any chance with the young lady.  Don't make suggestive comments about her after she's left,  Just act as if you're an adult, pretend to be one if that's the only option.  In my world, that's even more embarrassing than the temper tantrums.

Does this still apply if the cart girl is actually in your age range and you have a chance? :-D

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Just now, Psyber said:

Does this still apply if the cart girl is actually in your age range and you have a chance? :-D

I'd bet that you have a much better chance of going home with the "exotic dancer" from that nightclub you visit while on a buddy trip to Tampa or Myrtle Beach than with the bev-cart girl.  

Dave

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I'd bet that you have a much better chance of going home with the "exotic dancer" from that nightclub you visit while on a buddy trip to Tampa or Myrtle Beach than with the bev-cart girl.  

Haha that might be true. Actually I never do it in a crude way or try and take them home. It's more like the kind of flirting you do with the cute bartender where it's friendly and light. If you're not an old weirdo and you flirt respectfully I find they're usually pretty receptive and it's part of the fun. Those are the kind of girls that make great tips both in bev carts and behind the bar. I imagine I only have a few more years left of not being the old guy though :( 

• Upvote 1

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Note: This thread is 2757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!