IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge October 2016

Note: This thread is 1649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for October, 2016! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a somewhat detailed post describing your practice every day during the month.
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it, preferably in red text or something so I can notice it and give you the award.
  • Detail what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).

Enjoy and practice hard!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has paid off. I finally met my goal of making it, at least temporarily, to a single digit...made it to a 9.7 as of this morning's revision

Today was 4 straight months of completing the 5 min challenge

Played 18 holes with the old man today at Roy Kizer (par 71, 6412 yards, 70 rating, 117 slope). Even broke my personal best, shot a 76 (+5). 14/18 or 78% FIR, 11/18 or 61% GIR, 34 putts or 1.89 putts/

10/01 - starting 4th month of 5 min challenge! 

Kettle bell ex's for weight shift reinforcement at the gym this morning. Went to range x 45 mins to work on ball flight and to hit my newly fitted driver :dance:

Massively failed at this last month, so going to try much harder this month!

Day 1: Played 9 holes, on a course that I happened to be driving past.  Wasn't scoring - just trying to play shots in real life, with real conditions.  Played some really pretty good shots, and only had two poor holes.  Wasn't focussed on anything in particular.

Day 2:

Spent about 30 mins working on chipping with my 5H, on the tiny par 3 academy course.  I'm sure the answer is "it depends" but I've not yet settled on what my go-to club is for this kind of shot.  I started with an 8I, but my teacher suggested moving to something with more loft to generate more spin.  He uses a 52 degree wedge.  I have a 50, and I've used that a bit.  But I'd seen some players successfully using their rescue club, so I thought I'd try it.  It's better for direction, but much harder to judge distance.

Then went and played with my son at one of the local courses.  Played absolutely terribly.  Literally the worst I have played since I started this summer!  Got pretty angry with myself, but calmed down, and decided to call it a day afer 5 holes, as we were both tired and hungry, and the car park is right by the 5th green.

Practiced transition and downswing in front of a mirror and in the back yard. Scouring The Sand Trap Forum for articles that describe the downswing move.

10/03 - back to weekday grind. Kettle bell swings this morning to reinforce weight shift; grip, stance, 5SK #1-3 with 8i. 

Hope to get by local course today for some greenside chipping and putting 

Day 3:

15  mins at the range, with wedges, working on understading how far I hit each club with a full swing.  I learned that my swing is not really consistent enough to give me a reliable answer.  However, I hit about balls and most of them were clean hits, which felt encouraging.

Did some back swings in front of the mirror watching hip turn and arm position. Did some slo mo  swings with the driver in the back yard. About 15 mins in all.

I almost forgot to post and screw up another month. Slow motion swings again focusing on rotating around the spine. Works good in slow mo, but I hope it starts impacting a full swing with a ball soon. 

Day 4:

Lesson with pro.  He's concerned that my swing is too steep and closes the club face, so we worked on a number of drills to encourage me to allow the club to drop and come through rather than be brought down with the action of my arms.  I'm going to try to work on some of these drills at home, or maybe in the garden.  He says I should practice with short swings and a 6I to get the sequence of events right.

• iacas pinned this topic
  • iacas unpinned this topic
Note: This thread is 1649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!