IGNORED

Match Play or Stroke Play?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Match Play or Stroke Play?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Your tournament preference, 18 holes against a person you do not know in match play or 18 against the field in stroke play?

• Match Play
    • Stroke Play
    • Can't Choose - Please explain

I dont have a preference. I enjoy both formats equally. Both take different types of golf to win and i like them being different challenges. But i feel a greater sense of accomplishment in doing well in a stroke event than i do in match play -  mostly because in medal play you're taking on an entire field of players at once, rather than just one at a time in match play. 

Matchplay is much more suited to my go for broke style of play. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

For starters, I like both formats and have competed in both for many years.

Typically, most Stroke Play events are 36 hole events and seldom an eighteen hole event, unless it is due to weather delays.

Any Match Play can and sometimes requires extra holes before a match is over, with the exception in team events where a "tie" awards a half point to a team.

In both formats I generally play for par on all holes. There are times when aggressive play or caution will play a role in judgment in situations.

The beauty of stroke play is players compete for standings / points which pay rewards in some manner, either cash, shop credit, or they may qualify for other events, both at local and national levels.

The beauty of match play is when a match is over, they usually move on to another match over the course of the event.
In the end, a player or team may need to win multiple matches to claim a championship.

Match play is common and popular for many recreational league formats over the course of the season.
It allows for multiple players to compete with multiple teams.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can't choose...

I like friendly competitions that keeps everyone in the competition and interested as long as possible.  I like stableford for anywhere from two players to eight (or more though I've never done it).  We just double the point values every 6 holes which keeps everyone in the hunt for most of the round.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!