IGNORED

Weight loss and golf

chrissmash
Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi folks,

Just a question about losing weight and golf. I was a highly consistent golfer however I needed to lose some weight. I am 28 from Northern Ireland, I started the 5:2 diet which is a form of fasting. I lost 3 stone in about 7 or 8 months, I highly recommend it however ever since my golf game has been all over the place. I find I just don't have the same balance and consistency in my swing, has anyone else experienced this?

Chris

• Administrator
2 hours ago, chrissmash said:

Hi folks,

Just a question about losing weight and golf. I was a highly consistent golfer however I needed to lose some weight. I am 28 from Northern Ireland, I started the 5:2 diet which is a form of fasting. I lost 3 stone in about 7 or 8 months, I highly recommend it however ever since my golf game has been all over the place. I find I just don't have the same balance and consistency in my swing, has anyone else experienced this?

Chris

I believe some PGA Tour players have done the same thing.

I think that, in the long run, you're better off being slimmer and healthier and working on your golf game to get back to where you are comfortable in your new body and playing at the same level.

Don't gain the weight back just to feel better about your golf swing.

Because unlike those PGA Tour players your living probably doesn't depend on your golf…

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Calories in<Calories out.  No need to diet and make yourself crazy. Find your caloric maintenance and go 250 under per day by doing High Maintenance stuff.  No excuse in being large. At 6 foot 185 pounds, you could literally eat 3 chicken sandwiches , 3 medium fries, and some bananas and apples in a day and stay the same weight

10 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Calories in<Calories out.  No need to diet and make yourself crazy. Find your caloric maintenance and go 250 under per day by doing High Maintenance stuff.  No excuse in being large. At 6 foot 185 pounds, you could literally eat 3 chicken sandwiches , 3 medium fries, and some bananas and apples in a day and stay the same weight

Yeah but the OP didn't have any problems with the diet. Just he resulting golf swing.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

diet is really most important for shedding the weight. It's all about having healthy eating habits day in and day out. Avoid snacks throughout the day and just try to have 3 healthy meals everyday...

-Jim

Vires Acquirit Eundo 

• 3 months later...

I've never heard of this problem. In a way, it's a good problem to have....vs. the opposite. Imagine your golf game going to hell because you got too fat. I would think that as long as you get a little coaching on the swing and maintain your flexibility you're golden.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

On 10/11/2016 at 8:32 AM, Golfaddict247 said:

diet is really most important for shedding the weight. It's all about having healthy eating habits day in and day out. Avoid snacks throughout the day and just try to have 3 healthy meals everyday...

-Jim

Absolutely.  I would say your weight is determined 90% by what you eat and at best only 10% by exercise.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

In a healthy all things equal world, it's all about calories. 3500 calories equal 1 pound of fat. To lose 1 pound of fat you need to burn 3500 calories more than you eat. Eat a 2000 calorie meal you need to burn 5500 calories to lose a pound. 

That said, I should practice what I know,:whistle: as could stand to lose several pounds. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 5:57 PM, chrissmash said:

Hi folks,

Chris

i can say that since losing alittle bit of weight i have experienced some of the same issues. I only lost about 20 pounds down to 180, but i feel that i dont get as much distance as i used to, obviously because i dont have as much of an opposing force on the golf club, that will lead me to try to do too much. lately however, i have been playing within my new game and have been finding the stroke fairly well. 

i would say that was the biggest change, was realizing my new distance. im not sure that balance was a huge issue, granted throughout the whole thing i was doing yoga, and different stretches to keep balance and that sort of thing. more overcompensation for loss of distance. 

good luck with your new game. 

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

Why would you lose distance if you lost some excess weight?  Fat cells certainly aren't helping your swing speed.  I'd think losing fat would increase ones flexibility, it would be easier to get a full turn, you'd have more club head speed and more distance.

I don't think it has anything to do with your opposing force theory.  If that was true we'd see a relationship between weight and distance among the tour players.  I'm thinking of Justin Thomas and Rickey Fowler, they weigh around 150 lbs.

I'd guess it's just a normal variance and it doesn't have to do with the weight loss.  I've gained and lost distance before with no change of weight.

1 hour ago, Bryan Kasper said:

i can say that since losing alittle bit of weight i have experienced some of the same issues. I only lost about 20 pounds down to 180, but i feel that i dont get as much distance as i used to, obviously because i dont have as much of an opposing force on the golf club, that will lead me to try to do too much. lately however, i have been playing within my new game and have been finding the stroke fairly well. 

i would say that was the biggest change, was realizing my new distance. im not sure that balance was a huge issue, granted throughout the whole thing i was doing yoga, and different stretches to keep balance and that sort of thing. more overcompensation for loss of distance. 

good luck with your new game. 

20 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Why would you lose distance if you lost some excess weight?  Fat cells certainly aren't helping your swing speed.  I'd think losing fat would increase ones flexibility, it would be easier to get a full turn, you'd have more club head speed and more distance.

I don't think it has anything to do with your opposing force theory.  If that was true we'd see a relationship between weight and distance among the tour players.  I'm thinking of Justin Thomas and Rickey Fowler, they weigh around 150 lbs.

I'd guess it's just a normal variance and it doesn't have to do with the weight loss.  I've gained and lost distance before with no change of weight.

well my swing is more based on my body as an opposing force because that is where i am most consistent right now. yeah most of those pros do not rely on that as much in their swings which is why they can get some much distance no matter what. but that is my swing style. im sure as i progress i will move away from that style and then my weight wont matter as much.

or i could be completely wrong in how i picture my golf swing. i have no idea, maybe it wasnt the weight and it was other factors that led to my decrease in distance. i will be interested to find that out in the next couple months as i head back out to practice more things. 

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

This is something I am going through right now, though we have 3 feet of snow outside so all I am going on is my Optishot. I have lost 70lbs since this past October and will probably be down another 20lbs before our season even begins. All I've done is just counting calories, keeping my nutrition in a healthy place, and spinning. The swing overall doesn't feel unusual, the biggest change is readjusting my setup position because my hands being in the same spot as before puts them a lot further away from me now. The biggest feeling difference is chipping and putting because of the reduction of the belly, I've just had to make some tweaks and relearn some of the feeling but I'm finding my swing feels more solid. Looking forward to taking it to the course.

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid fast food because it contain lots of calories and fat.Either you can make some changes in your diet and also do some stretching exercises. Otherwise try hypnosis, it is very easiest way to reduce weight.

On 2/28/2017 at 1:41 PM, No Mulligans said:

Slightly late on this, but I could possibly see an initial loss of distance if you lost a large amount of weight, relatively quickly.

Going that route there is really no way to avoid losing some muscle mass which would in return lead to slower swing speeds if the atrophy is located in the right areas.

With that being said, I can't imagine 20 lbs would cause much in the way of muscle loss.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

perhaps you have experienced some muscle loss with your fat loss. without weight training whil eon a diet, you are  probable losing 75% fat and 25% muscle. This could certainly affect your swing and distance.

Home Course: Hampden Country Club;  Hampden, MA

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 10/7/2016 at 0:33 AM, StefanUrkel said:

If your metabolism is okay, maybe, but that is A LOT of carbs! All things being correct, you would need to drop 500 a day to lose a pound per week. The problem is you have people that are more carb sensitive than others. Some can lose on 400g carbs a day. Some have to keep it down to 150g carbs a day. Sometimes it's just not that easy.

To the OP, I could see having to get used to the "feeling" of the balance being different and the swing feeling different. I would think those two things would come back fairly quickly unless you had a big belly and it completely changed the arm positioning.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

On 3/17/2017 at 5:56 AM, Mikecoulson said:

Avoid fast food because it contain lots of calories and fat.Either you can make some changes in your diet and also do some stretching exercises. Otherwise try hypnosis, it is very easiest way to reduce weight.

Or at least think you did? 

When I snap my fingers you will wake up, fully rested, and 150 pounds !

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• 4 months later...

Might be me imagining it, but didn't Bubba get noticeably worse when he lost weight recently?

Of course, the reverse is true as well (Darren Clarke).

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!