IGNORED

Weight loss and golf

chrissmash
Note: This thread is 2074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

January to June I dropped 18 lbs. Smaller meal portions, no junk snacks, 1hr gym 3x a week, walk shorter courses, a lot of stretching especially pre game. 200 yard average drive then is now 220-230, same driver. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, chilepepper said:

January to June I dropped 18 lbs. Smaller meal portions, no junk snacks, 1hr gym 3x a week, walk shorter courses, a lot of stretching especially pre game. 200 yard average drive then is now 220-230, same driver. 

I would trade 18 pounds for 18 yards with my driver!  Did you put on muscle in the process?  Just wondering if any other variables are out there.  

I should get back to the gym.  Had annual checkup a few weeks ago and the doctor told me I'm two pounds overweight... somehow that has stuck with me more than if he had said twenty.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

43 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I would trade 18 pounds for 18 yards with my driver!  Did you put on muscle in the process?  Just wondering if any other variables are out there.  

I should get back to the gym.  Had annual checkup a few weeks ago and the doctor told me I'm two pounds overweight... somehow that has stuck with me more than if he had said twenty.  

No appreciable muscle gain that I can tell. Just more range of motion/flexibility

1 minute ago, chilepepper said:

No appreciable muscle gain that I can tell. Just more range of motion/flexibility

Do you mind if I ask approximately your before/after weights?

Also, I apologize for omitting this in the last reply:  congratulations on the weight loss! 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Do you mind if I ask approximately your before/after weights?

Also, I apologize for omitting this in the last reply:  congratulations on the weight loss! 

216/188

• Thumbs Up 1

The biggest thing with huge weight gain or loss is that you need to adjust your swing to suit your new body shape.  Also, if you don't lose muscle you are looking at gaining distance in general, especially with the weight loss helping you become more flexible and stronger.  Ideally weight loss should be from exercise and from fat loss.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

20 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The biggest thing with huge weight gain or loss is that you need to adjust your swing to suit your new body shape.  Also, if you don't lose muscle you are looking at gaining distance in general, especially with the weight loss helping you become more flexible and stronger.  Ideally weight loss should be from exercise and from fat loss.

Exercise is important for sure, but diet is where a persons weight loss should come from.  Its the old saying, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.  You can exercise like crazy, but unless your diet is under control, you might not lose any weight/fat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Grinde6 said:

Exercise is important for sure, but diet is where a persons weight loss should come from.  Its the old saying, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.  You can exercise like crazy, but unless your diet is under control, you might not lose any weight/fat.

I worked in the weight loss industry for twenty years and don't remember your quoted old saying, maybe memory loss with old age.  I thought the old saying was "calories in vs. calories out".

What works in my experience is a life style change that involves exercise and better food choices (that are nutritious and reduce calories per day).

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I worked in the weight loss industry for twenty years and don't remember your quoted old saying, maybe memory loss with old age.  I thought the old saying was "calories in vs. calories out".

What works in my experience is a life style change that involves exercise and better food choices (that are nutritious and reduce calories per day).

That's another one of the old sayings...Google it, its all over the place..maybe its not THAT old, but you will be able to find it.  I agree on calories consumed vs. calories burned, but the less calories you consume (lifestyle/diet) the less you will need to burn, hence diet is more important than exercise, or diet dictates how much you will need to workout...

I got pretty heavy over winter and hit my top weight after we got back from a cruise (who knew 5 servings of bacon every morning would do that to you :-P). Since that top weight I am down just over twenty two pounds and about 15 from where I had been sitting for over a year. Have about 10-15 more to go. Slow but sure is the way and eating less calories and better ones is the key. Exercise is great too but diet really is where it is at. 

I have found cutting down leaves me hungry. Instead I have educated myself on healthy foods. At it's basic level food is fuel to the body and if we want the best fuel we want to eat nutrient dense foods. Learn what the body needs to perform at a high level. We are a country of sugar addicts. Read the labels in the grocery stores and it is in everything. It is one of the things that give us a false sense of hunger, not to mention all the chemicals that exist in processed foods

• 7 months later...

I joined this forum because I was searching for this particular problem.

I have recently got back into Golf (after taking 3-4yrs off after a broken ankle).  Anyway, I needed to lose some weight and walking Golf was better than just walking.  I started eating right and getting a minimum of 12K steps per day (more on Golf days).  I've lost 32lbs since November (about 4 months).  Down to 169 from 201.  I used to hit my drives (and irons) pretty long for 5'8".  In the past 4 months I've watched my distance drop.  Irons are down approx 10yds across the board and my driver is down 15-20yds.  

I'm wondering if it is the weight loss (less mass moving the club) or I've slowed my swing down a bit to be more accurate.  I guess it could also be a mental thing where I'm not swinging as hard to conserve energy (due to walking the golf course and knowing I will be tired towards the end of the round).

I'm using premium balls (Prov1, Chromesoft, Kirkland).  I've also recently changed to Callaway Steelhead Xr irons (from Callaway Edge Diablo's).  The steelheads are supposed to be longer (most of them have less loft than my Edge irons).  But, maybe the Edge irons have heavier heads (more mass definitely)?

Lastly, I attended a Callaway Rogue fitting event a couple weeks ago.  They monitored my swing speed and it is right around 90.  I seem to remember my swing speed 3-4 Years ago was more like 105.

Any specific lifting at the gym I should be doing to bring my speed back up?  I assume speed is the main factor here in gaining distance.  Or is it mass??

Thanks for any input...

Chris

3 hours ago, hotwls13 said:

I have recently got back into Golf (after taking 3-4yrs off after a broken ankle).  Anyway, I needed to lose some weight and walking Golf was better than just walking.  I started eating right and getting a minimum of 12K steps per day (more on Golf days).  I've lost 32lbs since November (about 4 months).  Down to 169 from 201.  I used to hit my drives (and irons) pretty long for 5'8".  In the past 4 months I've watched my distance drop.  Irons are down approx 10yds across the board and my driver is down 15-20yds.  

I'm wondering if it is the weight loss (less mass moving the club) or I've slowed my swing down a bit to be more accurate.  I guess it could also be a mental thing where I'm not swinging as hard to conserve energy (due to walking the golf course and knowing I will be tired towards the end of the round).

I'm using premium balls (Prov1, Chromesoft, Kirkland).  I've also recently changed to Callaway Steelhead Xr irons (from Callaway Edge Diablo's).  The steelheads are supposed to be longer (most of them have less loft than my Edge irons).  But, maybe the Edge irons have heavier heads (more mass definitely)?

Lastly, I attended a Callaway Rogue fitting event a couple weeks ago.  They monitored my swing speed and it is right around 90.  I seem to remember my swing speed 3-4 Years ago was more like 105.

Any specific lifting at the gym I should be doing to bring my speed back up?  I assume speed is the main factor here in gaining distance.  Or is it mass??

Thanks for any input...

Chris

Hi Chris : Depending on how you lost the weight there is no question you can lose strength along with it and the other side to that is can you keep it off

3 hours ago, hotwls13 said:

Thanks for any input...

Chris

Hi Chris : first of all there is no doubt you can lose strength from weight loss if it is not done right and the other problem is keeping it off. I recommend something called Intermittent fasting. Google it and study it. I have been using it for the last 6 months. It is a schedule of eating where you eat in a window . This along with better choices in food creates the opportunity for the body to shift from burning Glucose to burning fat as energy. 

As far as exercise goes I would recommend  Power Yoga. It builds strength and mobility in the body dynamically and that is how the body works. Weights isolate the muscles as it becomes way too easy to over train certain muscle groups over others.

Hope this helps

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Having gone from roughly 275 to 190 at 6'2", I am fortunate that my swing didn't suffer as a result.  It's just as bad as it's ever been. :content:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 2 months later...

You should maintain your diet for long time at least 6 months to get better results, also you have to work on your game because your body will change every week. You have to play according to your body health level to get the maximum result.

I reduced my weight 70 pounds and had to make adaptations to my golf swing.

When you are lighter, you need to pay more attention to your center of balance because it can shift more easily.  In particular, pay attention to which leg you are putting more weight on and avoid swaying.  Keep your head down and check the slant of your body.

On balance, it is better to have less unnecessary weight in the golf swing.  The golf swing is rotational in nature, so the less fat you have in the way, the smoother the rotation.  If you were using your weight to stabilize your motion before, now you have to use technique and learn how to use your muscles to achieve stable movements.

Edited by GOATee

• 1 month later...

Avoid fast food because it contain lots of calories and fat. Eat the healthy food and also do some stretching exercises. You can regularly doing some easy workout and playing golf.

Note: This thread is 2074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!