• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
chrissmash

Weight loss and golf

chilepepper    92

January to June I dropped 18 lbs. Smaller meal portions, no junk snacks, 1hr gym 3x a week, walk shorter courses, a lot of stretching especially pre game. 200 yard average drive then is now 220-230, same driver. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shindig    242
9 hours ago, chilepepper said:

January to June I dropped 18 lbs. Smaller meal portions, no junk snacks, 1hr gym 3x a week, walk shorter courses, a lot of stretching especially pre game. 200 yard average drive then is now 220-230, same driver. 

I would trade 18 pounds for 18 yards with my driver!  Did you put on muscle in the process?  Just wondering if any other variables are out there.  

I should get back to the gym.  Had annual checkup a few weeks ago and the doctor told me I'm two pounds overweight... somehow that has stuck with me more than if he had said twenty.  

chilepepper    92
43 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I would trade 18 pounds for 18 yards with my driver!  Did you put on muscle in the process?  Just wondering if any other variables are out there.  

I should get back to the gym.  Had annual checkup a few weeks ago and the doctor told me I'm two pounds overweight... somehow that has stuck with me more than if he had said twenty.  

No appreciable muscle gain that I can tell. Just more range of motion/flexibility

Shindig    242
1 minute ago, chilepepper said:

No appreciable muscle gain that I can tell. Just more range of motion/flexibility

Do you mind if I ask approximately your before/after weights?

Also, I apologize for omitting this in the last reply:  congratulations on the weight loss! 

chilepepper    92
3 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Do you mind if I ask approximately your before/after weights?

Also, I apologize for omitting this in the last reply:  congratulations on the weight loss! 

216/188

pganapathy    32

The biggest thing with huge weight gain or loss is that you need to adjust your swing to suit your new body shape.  Also, if you don't lose muscle you are looking at gaining distance in general, especially with the weight loss helping you become more flexible and stronger.  Ideally weight loss should be from exercise and from fat loss.

Grinde6    48
20 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The biggest thing with huge weight gain or loss is that you need to adjust your swing to suit your new body shape.  Also, if you don't lose muscle you are looking at gaining distance in general, especially with the weight loss helping you become more flexible and stronger.  Ideally weight loss should be from exercise and from fat loss.

Exercise is important for sure, but diet is where a persons weight loss should come from.  Its the old saying, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.  You can exercise like crazy, but unless your diet is under control, you might not lose any weight/fat.

No Mulligans    249
1 hour ago, Grinde6 said:

Exercise is important for sure, but diet is where a persons weight loss should come from.  Its the old saying, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.  You can exercise like crazy, but unless your diet is under control, you might not lose any weight/fat.

I worked in the weight loss industry for twenty years and don't remember your quoted old saying, maybe memory loss with old age.  I thought the old saying was "calories in vs. calories out".

What works in my experience is a life style change that involves exercise and better food choices (that are nutritious and reduce calories per day).

Edited by No Mulligans

Grinde6    48
2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I worked in the weight loss industry for twenty years and don't remember your quoted old saying, maybe memory loss with old age.  I thought the old saying was "calories in vs. calories out".

What works in my experience is a life style change that involves exercise and better food choices (that are nutritious and reduce calories per day).

That's another one of the old sayings...Google it, its all over the place..maybe its not THAT old, but you will be able to find it.  I agree on calories consumed vs. calories burned, but the less calories you consume (lifestyle/diet) the less you will need to burn, hence diet is more important than exercise, or diet dictates how much you will need to workout...

Gator Hazard    153

I got pretty heavy over winter and hit my top weight after we got back from a cruise (who knew 5 servings of bacon every morning would do that to you :-P). Since that top weight I am down just over twenty two pounds and about 15 from where I had been sitting for over a year. Have about 10-15 more to go. Slow but sure is the way and eating less calories and better ones is the key. Exercise is great too but diet really is where it is at. 

JCrane    11

I have found cutting down leaves me hungry. Instead I have educated myself on healthy foods. At it's basic level food is fuel to the body and if we want the best fuel we want to eat nutrient dense foods. Learn what the body needs to perform at a high level. We are a country of sugar addicts. Read the labels in the grocery stores and it is in everything. It is one of the things that give us a false sense of hunger, not to mention all the chemicals that exist in processed foods