IGNORED

Hurricane Matthew Storm Surge expected 7-11 ft in Northeast Florida

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone from Florida provide some first hand pictures and whatnot of the storm? I am from Tampa and lived in Jacksonville for 5 years. Thinking of 7-11 ft of storm surge has me worndering what will be left on the Jax beach side of the inter coastal...including TPC Sawgrass. My former manager, who lives in the TPC neighborhood, said they are not sure what they will come back to with that kind of surge.

South Florida got pretty lucky with the storm turning up. The Weather Channel said this surge will be worse than the one that hit the Northeast with Sandy. As a Floridian, most storms are just a reason to get a day off of work and drink with your friends, as long as the power doesnt go out. This one is much different, and from what I can tell, most people I know heeded the warnings and evacuated. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hope everyone stays safe. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The storm appears to be weakening as it moves north. We were fortunate in that it shifted slightly east overnight keeping the eye away from land. Until 11PM last night, they were thinking that heavier winds would come further inland. We were under the gun for a while. They are talking record storm surge though. We've been sitting here watching the news all morning since everything is closed and there is a curfew in effect. 

The Gov. is concerned about the Jacksonville area because of the low lying areas. It appears that it will stay off the coast and start it's turn out to the Atlantic. Hopefully the weakening will lessen the damage to JAX. Only time will tell.

- Shane

You can see some live webcams from Daytona beach. Some are down due to high demand though...

http://surfinggator.com/Daytona/Cams/cams.html

A lot of power outages, but not as bad as it could've been.  60mph winds here in Lake Mary and rain....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My old course in south Jacksonville posted that a few trees are already down and the storm hasnt even arrived yet.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

Here is some video my friend from Jacksonville shared. Not looking good.

https://www.facebook.com/ActionNewsJacksonville/videos/vb.115853591820469/1261828967222920/?type=2&theater

Holy crap!  That is some storm surge. Looks like all the sandy beaches will be washed away. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

We got very lucky in WPB that the storm took a small jog east in the last few hours to spare us from the eye wall winds. I put up my shutters and hunkered down knowing that a cat 4 is nothing to fool with. We were prepared for the worst and if the storm would have gone a little bit west we would have been ground zero. There was little damage here and my power never went out. I am glad to say that most people here took it very seriously, especially with the Governor and local government being very clear about the storm's potential. I am living in a new place and realized that all of my bolts on the first floor and wing nut bolts on the second were painted over making it a little difficult to get it all done. Plenty of elbow grease went in to making sure nothing got stripped out. That meant doing it all by hand and not risking using a screw gun stripping everything. My winter project will be to replace all the hardware on the outside to make sure the next time its a 2 hour job, not a 5 hour process over 2 days. That was quite the workout! Good luck to my southern east coasters north of me! 

As of now the storm is still a cat 3 hugging the coast and I can't believe it hasn't had a direct hit. I was expecting sustained winds of 95 from the 2 pm forecast, but thankfully that didn't happen. Having been through 4 recent hurricanes (Frances, Jean, Wilma, Sandy), we got lucky with this monster. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Most of Sanford and a lot of Lake Mary (just east of Orlando) w/o power.  Orlando is pretty good though

Overall still better than it could've been.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

WPB resident here as well, and I just got home, having spent last night at a friend's house in Sarasota. I'm shocked how it looks like nothing really happened here. A few downed branches here and there, but that's about all I'm seeing right now. The roads are clear, most people's power (including mine) is up, and we even have internet. 

I was hunkered down just one mile from the Jersey shore during Sandy, and we didn't have power, let alone cable, for two weeks. Several roads were impassable for days. The lines at the gas stations were hours long, and I recall eating a decent amount of canned food in the early days. 

Man, PB County got spared big time. 

Here are a couple pics from my club though, Ironhorse CC. It's down the street from me. My friend sent me these. Looks like it could've been a lot worse. 

unnamed.jpgunnamed.jpg

Constantine

Sadly there looks to be round 2 

IMG_0708.PNG

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 10/7/2016 at 0:21 PM, David in FL said:

You can see some live webcams from Daytona beach. Some are down due to high demand though...

http://surfinggator.com/Daytona/Cams/cams.html

A lot of power outages, but not as bad as it could've been.  60mph winds here in Lake Mary and rain....

I'm glad all of you in the wake of the storm got through with minimal damage. Will hope the same goes for those further up the coast. Still sucks going through wind and flood damage and dealing with insurance claims.

You're right, a slight turn to the West at the wrong time and there could have been more loss of life.

Jon

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Sadly there looks to be round 2 

IMG_0708.PNG

Crazy.  Is this common for tropical storms/hurricanes in the Caribbean?  I never realized the would "loop around" like that.  Isn't it more common that they head out into the Atlantic and die off?

- John

32 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Crazy.  Is this common for tropical storms/hurricanes in the Caribbean?  I never realized the would "loop around" like that.  Isn't it more common that they head out into the Atlantic and die off?

This is actually very uncommon. Most storms end up going towards the north east out into the cold Atlantic. The only reason this is doing the loop around is because there was a cold front and the other tropical storm that is located almost directly east of the hurricane.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

This is actually very uncommon. Most storms end up going towards the north east out into the cold Atlantic. The only reason this is doing the loop around is because there was a cold front and the other tropical storm that is located almost directly east of the hurricane.

Ah, gotcha. That sucks...

- John

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It's starting to look like it will go off to the Atlantic and not loop around thank goodness. 

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!