IGNORED

Tiger Withdraws

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 2751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not a surprise at all. There was even an "over/under" bet at one of the local race books on if he would play.

I read on another site (jokingly) where there was a miscommunication probably. That he meant to say he was going to "open a Safeway"...........:-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe he should play on the web.com tour for a while. Seriously, it's a catch-22. He'll never be ready for PGA Tour without some tournaments under his belt.

Edited by chspeed

Redditor: If he's looking to preserve his back, this is definitely the Safeway.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Well that stinks. Was looking forward to it. At least he learned from his last comeback attempt.

Or someone offered him a bunch of money to make his comeback in the tournament that they sponsor.

- Shane

26 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Maybe he should play on the web.com tour for a while. Seriously, it's a catch-22. He'll never be ready for PGA Tour without some tournaments under his belt.

I actually had the same crazy thought, but as far as confidence and image if he fails there too it would only exacerbate things and accelerate his world ranking decline.

Kevin

So let me get this straight: Friday he was all set to play, but over the week-end realized that his short game sucks to the point that being seen pitching and chipping in public would be a major embarrassment and deal a cruel blow to his ego?

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

I'm not convinced he could win on the web.com tour.

38 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I actually had the same crazy thought, but as far as confidence and image if he fails there too it would only exacerbate things and accelerate his world ranking decline.

What is ranked now, and how much further could he decline?

30 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

I'm not convinced he could win on the web.com tour.

What is ranked now, and how much further could he decline?

Sure he's well down now, but the lower field value of the Web events will make any poor result worse than in a PGA event if he can manage to beat someone or make the cut.

The guy had 3 surgeries on his back. He was in so much pain at one point he couldn't get up from the ground and walk. That alone would make a sane person hesitant about making full swings in competition.

He has nothing to prove, except to himself (if he wants) so if he's that far off that he'd need to re-build on the Web.com tour, he'd  be better off just doing it on his own and if he couldn't get there, but craved competition still to just wait and tee it up a couple of times a year on the Senior Tour.

Kevin

Well, my weekend just freed up to play a round.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Tiger wouldn't even win the next LPGA tournament. 

I'll take that bet. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

7 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I'll take that bet. 

First you'd have to actually get him to the first tee....  ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

38 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Now THAT's creative thinking. Can you imagine the boost to the LPGA tour? Can you imagine all the $$$$ from the feminine products that Tiger could represent? Win-Win!

Edited by chspeed

42 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

I don't think he'd have to worry about his short game much in the LPGA. He'd have 100 yards or less into every green, and from inside 100 yards the PGA tour averages ~85% GIR from all lies. This means he'd hit 14-15 GIR, not counting the fact that he gets 2-4 GIR "free" on the par 5's. I picture Tiger ending up hitting somewhere between 16-18 greens each day in an LPGA tournament, allowing him to shoot anywhere between 4 and 6 under each day (the par fives play like par fours for him) for a total of between 16 and 24 under par. The last tournament winner on the LPGA only shot 17 under par. 

Depending on the greens and other course setups, which are also easier than the PGA tour norm, it's likely Tiger could go even deeper if his putting is solid. He'd be facing a course set up somewhere around 1,000 yards shorter than he's used to along with slower greens and easier pin locations. In fact, I'd bet that most of the competitors in the U.S. Amateur would be able to walk all over a vast majority of the LPGA fields.

That said, I'd actually kind of like to see this now. I don't picture it happening though (even if Tiger/whatever other male player played only as an exhibition), since it would really only harm the reputation of the LPGA after the fact. It would be an interesting experiment though to be able to see exactly how large the difference between the two tours is though.

2 minutes ago, chspeed said:

One video does not make a point, though I understand it may be unfair to compare Tiger to the PGA tour average without seeing him perform recently. I have no other data point to reasonably compare him to though.

Note: This thread is 2751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!