Sign in to follow this  
Brad W

Kirkland (Costco) Premium Golf Ball?

Note: This thread is 736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

572 posts / 65237 viewsLast Reply

This was a fun topic while it lasted.  I have about three dozen left.  

I don't care that much though about the demise of the Kirkland ball.  I've played with a bunch of different balls, sometimes on practice rounds playing three different makes/models for an entire round side by side.  For me, based on this experience, the ball brand/model makes practically no difference.  Even still, I did like getting premium balls for $1.25, I figured why not.  When I run out it will be back to Mojo's (I like the model name and price :-P).

Here's a Wall Street Journal article about the Kirkland ball from this morning:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-most-coveted-ball-in-golf-is-from-costco-1484832756

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

5 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I suppose it would have been nice if Costco advertised from the beginning that this was a limited overrun, I can understand why they didn't.

But that is also true for a ton of other stuff they sell.  It's always been the case of any really good product they sell that if you didn't get it when you saw it, there was a great chance it wouldn't be there when you went back.

Just now, Golfingdad said:

But that is also true for a ton of other stuff they sell.  It's always been the case of any really good product they sell that if you didn't get it when you saw it, there was a great chance it wouldn't be there when you went back.

Yeah, Wines are another thing that they have good deals on, but some of the wines are not always there again.  I need to go back, they had Stags Leap Winery The Investor Red Wine here in VA for $29/bottle.  It's $53.99 at Total Wine.  Not sure how long that will last.

Any TST'ers in Vermont who want to trade some of the Alchemist Heady Topper and Focal Banger, for Kirkland Balls, I might be interested.   :beer:

38 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Yeah, Wines are another thing that they have good deals on, but some of the wines are not always there again.  I need to go back, they had Stags Leap Winery The Investor Red Wine here in VA for $29/bottle.  It's $53.99 at Total Wine.  Not sure how long that will last.

Any TST'ers in Vermont who want to trade some of the Alchemist Heady Topper and Focal Banger, for Kirkland Balls, I might be interested.   :beer:

I've got ONE, I'll sell it back to you at a good price lol.

6 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah, as a seasoned Costco shopper, I've found that if there's something you might be interested in, you grab it and decide later if you want to keep it or not. Their inventory is so unpredictable. I've gone back two or three days later for things like grass seed, shirts, or Christmas decorations only to be told they sold out or cycled it out of the store, and I was left kicking myself. Same thing happened with the Callaway 300 rangefinder I bought from them over Christmas. I had a feeling it was going to be a shortlived deal, so I snatched it up, and it disappeared from their site before they even shipped it out to me. You can only find it from other retailers for $100 more now.

My friend is totally hooked on the K Sig (as were many, rightfully so at that performance & price).  He tried to convert me, but I told him I'm sticking with the "little guy" (Snell).  I guess I'll be converting him now haha.

What I don't understand, is why would anyone bid $75 for 2 dozen K Sig on eBay?  Just pony up an extra $5 and get 2 dozen ProV1 (a superior ball).  Or pay even less and get the Snell MTB!

Side note, this isn't the first time Costco has gone the third party route to get something they wanted when they couldn't get it direct.  A lot of companies have called them out on it.

The bargain Kirkland Signature ball has become in short supply since MyGolfSpy compared it to the ProV1, according to freelance writer Thom Forbes. Check out his piece, Scarce Costco Ball, which has links to several other stories on the Kirkland.

So, do any of you play Kirkland? If so, how hard is it to find?

Costco has indefinitely suspended production of the Kirkland balls (the K-Sig) due to supply chain issues, according to MyGolfSpy, which said the wholesaler had purchased overruns of a European ball made by its South Korean manufacturer. With that initial supply gone, Costco has no Kirkland balls left to sell and MyGolfSpy speculates that it is truly the end of the line for the briefly popular K-Sig -- much to the disapppointment of cost-conscious golfers.

Could the scarce Kirkland Signature now become a collector's item? Some sellers on EBay certainly think so, with two dozen K-Sigs being listed for as much as $238.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatuszewski/2017/01/22/this-week-in-golf-biz-is-the-kirkland-ball-dead-augusta-nationals-land-grab-and-roccos-new-club/#46525498b0a8

It's ridiculous what people are trying to get for these on ebay.  I would sell all my stash for that price.  :whistle:

Just now, No Mulligans said:

Do you have a source for that statement?  I'd like to read it.

I haven't been able to find anything on the patent issue either.  From everything I've read, it's as it shows in the Forbes article, they bought a truckload of overrun balls from Nassau, sold them all cheap and now Nassau doesn't want to sell them anymore.  

51 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Do you have a source for that statement?  I'd like to read it.

Nope. Just what I've heard around here. Hence, "seems" and "alleged". There were a few posts up-thread about the possibility. No idea if it's true, but it's one of the theories.

4 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Costco has indefinitely suspended production of the Kirkland balls (the K-Sig) due to supply chain issues, according to MyGolfSpy, which said the wholesaler had purchased overruns of a European ball made by its South Korean manufacturer. With that initial supply gone, Costco has no Kirkland balls left to sell and MyGolfSpy speculates that it is truly the end of the line for the briefly popular K-Sig -- much to the disapppointment of cost-conscious golfers.

Could the scarce Kirkland Signature now become a collector's item? Some sellers on EBay certainly think so, with two dozen K-Sigs being listed for as much as $238.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatuszewski/2017/01/22/this-week-in-golf-biz-is-the-kirkland-ball-dead-augusta-nationals-land-grab-and-roccos-new-club/#46525498b0a8

It's ridiculous what people are trying to get for these on ebay.  I would sell all my stash for that price.  :whistle:

The only reason that they (may be able to) sell at that inflated price is because some people may have missed getting their hands on them and want to do their own testing of the ball, especially due to it being in the spotlight in the golf community right now. Nobody is buying the ball at these prices from a performance perspective alone.

Edit: wow. Didn't see the $238 crap. That is just shoddy journalism. Of course people love to "list" things like that as a tease of sorts. It likely one of those things that just doesn't get bought, though.

Edited by jkelley9

6 minutes ago, OSSO BUCCO said:

The news of Kirkland Signature Gold Balls demise has been greatly exaggerated.  They will return to COSTCO.  See:  http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Costco-says-golf-balls-will-return-10883759.php

NOICE!

now question - if Nassau was making balls for Taylormade, and nobody questioned the quality control and consistency of TM balls, why are people questioning the KSig balls made presumably by the same standards?

The news of Kirkland Signature Gold Balls demise has been greatly exaggerated.  They will return to COSTCO.  See:  http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Costco-says-golf-balls-will-return-10883759.php

When COSTCO places their "Kirkland Signature" brand on ANY product they use the most sophisticated QC procedures to insure there are never any issues. 

Note: This thread is 736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!