IGNORED

Good Exercises for Improving Your Core Strength?

Golfaddict247
Note: This thread is 1816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My friend was telling me that improving my core strength will definitely help my swing. Right now, I kind don't do a whole lot of working on the core besides pushups. Anyone have any good tips for improving one's core strength?

Vires Acquirit Eundo 

Any sort of abdominal and low back work will help so some examples would be leg lifts, crunches, mason twists, back extensions etc. Compound movements will also help like deadlifts and squats. Personally something I'm working on and have overlooked a lot when it comes to fitness in my golf is just overall balance and flexibility. 

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, Golfaddict247 said:

My friend was telling me that improving my core strength will definitely help my swing. Right now, I kind don't do a whole lot of working on the core besides pushups. Anyone have any good tips for improving one's core strength?

My wife goes downtown near Nats Park and does trapeze lessons once a week or so.  That's tremendous exercise for your core.  Her handicap is down to 11 or 12 now!!

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

https://static.vidivodo.com/vidivodo/vidservers/server01/videos/2013/10/11/16/v201310111653021125394_iphone.mp4

P90X's Ab Ripper X I always thought was a really tough workout to do after your other stuff. I don't do any of the stretching stuff that they do at the end though. I'm not a huge fan of stretches like that, but that's just me. 

PS- I'd be warmed up before you do that work out BTW. 

Constantine

• 1 month later...

Core strength is a gimmic. Most exercise activities strengthen the body "core" wise.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

14 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Core strength is a gimmic. Most exercise activities strengthen the body "core" wise.

If by, just working on core strength. Then I agree. 

You can increase core strength. It is important. Core strength will not increase distance dramatically. The core muscles are slow twitch muscles that support the body. The primary driver of distance is arm speed. 

Exercising will help the golf swing just by improving coordination and balance. It allows you to swing harder and still be in control. 

If someone is starting working out I would say work on balance, stretching, and basic exercise techniques. 

1. Squats
2. Push-ups
3. Shoulder Presses, work up to chin-ups

If someone was to go for the best ab exercise then here is a list of exercises by muscle activation level. 

Planks, then work up to RKC Planks
Ab Wheel
Chin-ups

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 10/20/2016 at 3:33 PM, Golfaddict247 said:

Get in a pushup position and hold that position.  You should be able to hold it for at least a minute.  Beyond that, get in a pushup position on your elbows and hold that position.   Beyond that, stay in that position and raise one leg at a time about 6 inches off the floor.   This helps strengthen the lower back and stomach muscles. 

Another core exercise is to stand with your feet about a foot to a foot and a half apart, and squat until your thighs are parallel to the ground.   Hold that position for a few seconds and straighten back up.   Don't go all the way to the ground.  Don't overdo it.   If your knees get sore, stop doing it.   This exercise strengthens the glutes and thighs. 

You have to do some stretching, too.  

Always, if it hurts, stop. 

These are all things I should be doing a lot more of, too. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

Crunches and planks are great and relatively safe on the back.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

I enjoy dead bugs over planks.  They're really one of the best core exercises around.  Just remember to keep your entire back touching the ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chin ups , dips , deadlifts , front squats and repeat.

The body weight exercises are key for overall strength and the weights get real core strength for stability.

only need to do about 45 minutes 4 times a week and you will see a huge difference 

I agree with most of the posts above, particularly those that advocate for squats, planks and yoga. 

But for my money, there is no better exercise for improving golf related strength than kettlebell swings. In addition to targeting your hamstrings, glutes, back and shoulders, it incorporates a hip thrust that ties in really nicely to the golf swing. 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!