IGNORED

Chiropractor Kills Playmate

iacas
Note: This thread is 2043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/katie-may-playboy-model-death-stroke-after-chiropractor-visit-family-speaks-out/

Days before the 34-year-old died in February, she posted on Twitter that she’d pinched a nerve in her neck at a photoshoot and was going to visit a chiropractor. Friends said she became sick a few hours after her appointment and was taken to the emergency room. She was pronounced brain dead the next day and taken off life support. 

The LA County Coroner said her death, while accidental, was caused by “vertebral artery dissection” – a tear in one of the major arteries that carries blood to the brain, caused by the chiropractic treatment. 

“This is actually more common than people think -- that people get over-adjusted and there’s a tear and it causes a stroke and death,” said Ronald Richards, Katie May estate’s lawyer.

Ouch. :-(

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This came through on my phones news feed and its something i wouldnt have thought could happen. I mean, when you go to a chiropractor you expect to walk out in a little discomfort but you still expect to walk out under your own power.

Just goes to showm the human body is a weird and wonderful thing!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I'm picturing the particular adjustment that I've had done in the past where the guy cradles my head, rocks it a little, gets it just right, and then - blammo! - he violently jerks it sideways causing my neck to crack.  Scary to think it could be dangerous like that.

Luckily I haven't felt the need to have any chiropractic work done in a long time, knock on wood.

I have a few people advising me to go to a chiropractor for a lower back thing.

These people swear by the chiropractor.

Now, I am going nowhere near one of those quacks!

050.gif?w=1000

Edited by Elmer
  • Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I have always been wary of chiropractors. The very idea of what they do has always been unnerving to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm picturing the particular adjustment that I've had done in the past where the guy cradles my head, rocks it a little, gets it just right, and then - blammo! - he violently jerks it sideways causing my neck to crack.  Scary to think it could be dangerous like that.

Luckily I haven't felt the need to have any chiropractic work done in a long time, knock on wood.

I had that from my works physio. He says " lay back with your head off the end of the bed", turns my head to the right and pulls up. I thought he was trying to pull my head clean off " just a few more of those" he says.....you can F off was almost the reply!

Thing is it worked..

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

19 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I've done it and its helped, but I wouldn't swear by it, by any means.  It always seemed like something that only worked as long as you kept going all the time.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Those have always freaked me out. I've never had it done, and the one time they got close to doing it in physical therapy, I asked them to stop and never do that.

20 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I don't know if you can do too much damage to your lower back. Things just aren't as mobile as your neck. I might trust a chiropractor with a lower back thing, but will maybe never do it for a neck issue.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Those have always freaked me out. I've never had it done, and the one time they got close to doing it in physical therapy, I asked them to stop and never do that.

I don't know if you can do too much damage to your lower back. Things just aren't as mobile as your neck. I might trust a chiropractor with a lower back thing, but will maybe never do it for a neck issue.

Yeah, I should have probably said something.  It made no sense because, like @Elmer, my problems were ALWAYS lower back and I never had problems with my neck.  It made no sense - I didn't go to that one for very long.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Now, I am going nowhere near one of those quacks!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/health/medical-error-a-leading-cause-of-death/

I guess if you are cooler with this...

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I always feel great after an adjustment. My neck and back move much more freely. Then I play golf and things get kinked up again. I haven't found a new chiro in FL yet, but I don't think it will deter me. You have my grandpa who went to the hospital for a "routine" heart surgery and ended up dying of a staff infection that he picked up there.

- Shane

23 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Perhaps you're being tongue-in-cheek, but ...

That's kind of a false equivalency seeing as how those medical errors are, I presume, almost entirely composed of surgeries.  Your implication is that if he chooses against the chiropractor, then he's opting to have surgery - which is not going to be the case very often.

Further, those numbers don't have any meaning in this case because they are gross numbers and not a rate, and they don't have a comparison rate of deaths from chiropractic.  If we're comparing the relative safeties.

But if you were just being funny, ignore all of the above. :-P

15 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I always feel great after an adjustment. My neck and back move much more freely. Then I play golf and things get kinked up again. I haven't found a new chiro in FL yet, but I don't think it will deter me. You have my grandpa who went to the hospital for a "routine" heart surgery and ended up dying of a staff infection that he picked up there.

That happened to my great uncle. He had a bladder surgery and I remember visiting him in hospital right afterwards with my dad. We brought him some newspapers and magazines to read and b.s.ed with him for a while. He was fine and in good spirits. That night staff infection in blood hit him and for three days they tried every antibiotic they could. He had a living will that said to pull plug after three days. I'll never forget the feeling of having to say goodbye to him while he was in a coma and I had just been talking and laughing with him a few days prior. 

He still is one of the greatest story tellers I have ever met. He had so many, and they were funny and fascinating. He was an engineer and helped build some of the buildings in Las Vegas area including the above ground bunkers at the Nevada test site where he says they allowed them to watch one be detonated.  I miss him. 

I have never been to a chiropractor and don't know that I ever would. 

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

Perhaps you're being tongue-in-cheek, but ...

That's kind of a false equivalency seeing as how those medical errors are, I presume, almost entirely composed of surgeries.  Your implication is that if he chooses against the chiropractor, then he's opting to have surgery - which is not going to be the case very often.

Further, those numbers don't have any meaning in this case because they are gross numbers and not a rate, and they don't have a comparison rate of deaths from chiropractic.  If we're comparing the relative safeties.

But if you were just being funny, ignore all of the above. :-P

I was being realistic. When was that last time you heard someone dying from chiropractic? Surgeries I am sure are a large component of it. I lost my father because of someone not monitoring the machine that was to keep blood flowing through his body during a surgery. My father's surgery was however a success. 

Types of Errors

Diagnostic

Error or delay in diagnosis Failure to employ indicated tests Use of outmoded tests or therapy Failure to act on results of monitoring or testing

Treatment

Error in the performance of an operation, procedure, or test Error in administering the treatment Error in the dose or method of using a drug Avoidable delay in treatment or in responding to an abnormal test Inappropriate (not indicated) care

Preventive

Failure to provide prophylactic treatment Inadequate monitoring or follow-up of treatment

Other

Failure of communication Equipment failure Other system failure SOURCE: Leape, Lucian; Lawthers, Ann G.; Brennan, Troyen

It is fine if this one incidence solidifies your fear of chiropractic but comparatively it is considerably less dangerous that driving your car at night.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

It is fine if this one incidence solidifies your fear of chiropractic but comparatively it is considerably less dangerous that driving your car at night.

The value doesn't seem to be there either. Chiropractors seem to rely on you coming back every week or so for your regularly scheduled "adjustment."

Surgery you likely need. An adjustment to your neck, well, probably not.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

That happened to my great uncle. He had a bladder surgery and I remember visiting him in hospital right afterwards with my dad. We brought him some newspapers and magazines to read and b.s.ed with him for a while. He was fine and in good spirits. That night staff infection in blood hit him and for three days they tried every antibiotic they could. He had a living will that said to pull plug after three days. I'll never forget the feeling of having to say goodbye to him while he was in a coma and I had just been talking and laughing with him a few days prior. 

He still is one of the greatest story tellers I have ever met. He had so many, and they were funny and fascinating. He was an engineer and helped build some of the buildings in Las Vegas area including the above ground bunkers at the Nevada test site where he says they allowed them to watch one be detonated.  I miss him. 

I have never been to a chiropractor and don't know that I ever would. 

Sorry to hear about your G-uncle. It's never easy when it's something they pick up in the hospital. It feels like you've been robbed. =\

It's never a good idea to go to a chiropractor if you have other nerve or medical issues without a thumbs up from your GB. My need to see one is because my hip is out causing one leg to be longer than the other. He gave me some things to do that even them out a bit which is why I've been able to go for a while now, but I'm getting close to needing another alignment.

- Shane

1 minute ago, iacas said:

The value doesn't seem to be there either. Chiropractors seem to rely on you coming back every week or so for your regularly scheduled "adjustment."

Surgery you likely need. An adjustment to your neck, well, probably not.

That is just your perception. Maybe it is the other way around.

Note: This thread is 2043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!