IGNORED

Losing Weight and Playing Golf

andy_gtfc
Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You weight is determined >80% by diet and excercise has only a minor affect - unless you excercise more than an hour a day. Generally you need to reduce the overall caloric intake and stay away from food that make you hungry soon after you eat - i.e., simple carbs, which leads to over eating. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've lost about 13 lbs since January by playing golf (walking with a handcart), without significantly changing my eating habits. About 58 rounds. Some 9 holes some 18. 

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

45 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I've lost about 13 lbs since January by playing golf (walking with a handcart), without significantly changing my eating habits. About 58 rounds. Some 9 holes some 18. 

Basically if you don't change your diet but increase excercise, you will lose weight. Problem with many people are they add exercising and then increase their food intake because they get hungry after a workout. And they wonder why they are not losing weight. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Food choices make all the difference.  Eat wholesome foods and you really have no worries.  Eat calorie dense foods and excercising enough for a calorie deficit is difficult/requires a significant time investment.  Only once before in my life have I been as heavy as I am now and I got back down to a healthy weight before by eating well and walking regularly.

I am about to do it again I have been feeling like crap physically due to poor diet the last several years.  I need to evolve my lifestyle and not slip back this time.  

Walking is good for the soul.  

6 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

That's good to hear @Missouri Swede.

Since I've started playing golf, every year brings about the same pattern. I'm far more active during the warmer months and will lose about 8-10 lbs. Winter comes around and I'll gain it back.

Regarding diet, I suppose it's different for everyone. I probably have worse eating habits in the winter due to the holidays and just boredom. I have to find an activity. Shoveling and clearing snow with the blower may burn some calories, but it just isn't enough to counter all that extra blueberry pie.

Jon

I skipped to this point, so I don't know if this has been addressed, but you are using some terminology that is a little unfamiliar to us across the pond. If I recall correctly an English "stone" is 9 pounds. Thus, you are 5'8" and 168 pounds.This may not be ideal according to the government charts, but screw the government! You are hardly obese!

Okay, it just occurred to me that an English "stone" is 11 pounds. Thus the term 9 stone weakling! That makes you 5'8" and 204lbs! Hardly ideal!

I'd advise you to to forget all the fads, and shakes, and protein powders and get yourself on a diet of real food. Veggies, proteins, and fats! Real veggies that are non GMO and either grown by you or other local farmers. I can't supply myself for an entire year, but I sincerely enjoy the times that I can! Hey, you do what you're able to do.

Protein means meat! If possible grass fed meat from local farmers who don't use growth hormones! I'm not entirely against vaccinations against brucellosis for beef or trichinosis for pork, but I draw the line at growth hormones.There's no better source of whole chain proteins than meat. 

As for fats, again subscribe to the "what is natural" format. If you have a desire to fry something use butter, olive oil, or (horror of horrors!) lard! What is lard but rendered pig fat, which our bodies have evolved to digest! Above all stay away from "engineered" fats like corn oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, and vegetable shortening!

Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup wherever you can, and any sweetener that does not come from sugar cane. I've noticed many more products labeled "No HFCS" recently.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2016 at 1:18 AM, carpediem4300 said:

The number one thing you need is the will to change, no exercise regime or diet will counteract the lack of willingness you will skimp excercise, continue to overeat and at the end of the day wont lose weight

I struggle with big change but ive dropped 2 stone in the last year, i started by simply dropping sugar from my cup of tea's, i used to have 6 teas a day at work, all with 2 sugars,......i dropped to one sugar per cup, then 5 with 1 and 1 with 0, until im now drinking 6-8 cups a day but no sugar at all, that win was small but boosted me onto other wins

find something small you can change and change it, then something else small and change it,..........if you use a lift in the hotel, swap it for the stairs once a day, then only use the stairs etc etc,....if you have 3 scoops of mash on a plate, try having just 2, or 1 1/2, all these small things will add to up a big thing called a life change, once you make enough of them nothing will stop you, your confidence will be high and the weight will likely have already dropped off by the time you reach that conclusion ;)

great advice

On 4/16/2017 at 6:24 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

I skipped to this point, so I don't know if this has been addressed, but you are using some terminology that is a little unfamiliar to us across the pond. If I recall correctly an English "stone" is 9 pounds. Thus, you are 5'8" and 168 pounds.This may not be ideal according to the government charts, but screw the government! You are hardly obese!

Okay, it just occurred to me that an English "stone" is 11 pounds. Thus the term 9 stone weakling! That makes you 5'8" and 204lbs! Hardly ideal!

I'd advise you to to forget all the fads, and shakes, and protein powders and get yourself on a diet of real food. Veggies, proteins, and fats! Real veggies that are non GMO and either grown by you or other local farmers. I can't supply myself for an entire year, but I sincerely enjoy the times that I can! Hey, you do what you're able to do.

Protein means meat! If possible grass fed meat from local farmers who don't use growth hormones! I'm not entirely against vaccinations against brucellosis for beef or trichinosis for pork, but I draw the line at growth hormones.There's no better source of whole chain proteins than meat. 

As for fats, again subscribe to the "what is natural" format. If you have a desire to fry something use butter, olive oil, or (horror of horrors!) lard! What is lard but rendered pig fat, which our bodies have evolved to digest! Above all stay away from "engineered" fats like corn oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, and vegetable shortening!

Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup wherever you can, and any sweetener that does not come from sugar cane. I've noticed many more products labeled "No HFCS" recently.

excellent advice. you forgot the umbrella which is Educate yourself on food

• 2 weeks later...

Keep a food diary, one that shows how much fat and sugar you consume in a day (Myfitnesspal.com is a good free one).  You'll be surprised how many empty calories you consume in a day.  This can really help you make healthier choices. Can you get a standing desk?  These are great, you burn more calories standing than sitting.  If you can, get up and walk at least 200 steps every hour - every little bit helps.  

14 hours ago, Maric771 said:

Keep a food diary, one that shows how much fat and sugar you consume in a day (Myfitnesspal.com is a good free one).  You'll be surprised how many empty calories you consume in a day.  This can really help you make healthier choices. Can you get a standing desk?  These are great, you burn more calories standing than sitting.  If you can, get up and walk at least 200 steps every hour - every little bit helps.  

I agree with you. We tend to want to do things to extremes instead of taking baby steps.Standing desk, great idea. As far as the sugar, I just read an article on how manufacturers have tripled the amount of sugar over the last 30 years that is in packaged foods. They try to disguise the names so people will not recognize this if they even do read the labels. Most of us need an interpreter to understand the ingredients and do not forget your magnifying glass so can read the fine print 

Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!