IGNORED

What course do you dream about?

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So... almost every night before I go to sleep, I've got the Golf Channel on my TV.  I'll even go so far as to DVR some of the rounds I may miss and watch them when there is no golf being shown on a certain evening.  This leads to me turning off the TV and thinking about my golf game.  

More often than not, I'll fall asleep thinking about a golf course I've played or am going to be playing and playing out certain shots in my mind.  I figure with a golf obsessed community such as the one here at TST, I can't be the only one that does this.

So... my question is, what course or courses do you think about most often?  Are there holes you look forward to?  Are there holes you dread?  

For me, it rotates.  I quite often think back to the course I played the most often in high school.  It was a 36 hole county course and we typically played 9 holes at a time, so we only ever really got to see the front side of each course when playing in those matches.  

I loved the first 2 holes on the 'red' course and always think back to some of my best shots on those 2 holes.  There is also a hole on the 'white' course that I always loved, number 5.  If I'm having trouble falling asleep, I will walk through either of those 9 hole courses and think about how I'd play my shots.  

On my current home course, the 14th hole kills me every time.  It's only 330 or so yards, but it's a little dogleg to the left with a tree on the corner.  I can never seem to draw the ball enough to get it around that tree.  I've tried hitting a 4 iron, but it usually catches the mounds on the right side and that feeds the ball off into the rough (which is very thick on that side to protect from players bailing out).  I've tried hitting as big a draw as I can with a driver, but I can't get myself to start it on an aggressive enough line to ensure it finishes in the fairway.  I believe the only par I've made on it was after having to punch out from the rough on the right side and then sticking an 8 iron to an inch.  Usually, I can guarantee myself a bogey or worse on that hole.  I often think about that hole when I've got a round coming up there and I try to 'game plan' for it.  

Those are my courses and holes.  What about you?

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to What course do you dream about?
  • Administrator

It's a good question… what course do you dream about?

I don't remember my dreams very often (when I do they often involve me being a spy and doing action figure stuff, go figure…), but when I daydream or remember things, it's almost always:

• the next course I'm going to play (if I've played there before, or it's hosted a PGA Tour event so I'm familiar with it)
  • the course I grew up playing
  • the course I play most often now (Whispering Woods)
  • the course my kid last played.

I'll occasionally think back to playing the Old Course or some other famous course, like Oakmont, etc. even if I haven't played them in awhile, but those times are rare.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Old Course (which I plan to play Summer 2018) - I've never played there and it's a bucket list item 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Royal Portrush.

But I don't literally think about that course as I lay my head on the pillow.  Typically that will be the best iron approach shot I hit that day or most recently.  But this week it's a little different.

I couldn't get my driver untracked on Sat.  On the 4th hole, there's a creek about 260 across the fairway.  So, I pulled my hybrid and hit the most beautiful, high, dead straight shot I've ever hit.  Downwind, uphill, 240.  I outdrove all 3 of my buds, 2 of whom used driver and the other a 3W.  I can't get that shot out of my head, nor do I want to.

That started my turn-around too, ended up crushing my driver rest of the day and hit some beauties.  Drained 4 putts of 15-20 feet.  Never did hit my irons very well or close so the shot I'm dreaming about now is that 240 yd 3H.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

For me, it's not so much a course as it is people. I've dreamed about playing with John Daly, Tiger, Jack, Arnie, and others. I don't really know what course we are on, but we usually end up coming to a hole with an impossible tee shot. By impossible, I mean that the markers are right in front a tree or a wall where there is no backswing. One time, the tee markers were on a wood bridge, and I couldn't get a tee inserted. I am usually winning before we come the the impossible hole.

- Shane

If there's one course I think about it would be Wolf Creek in Nevada. It's one I need to play someday soon. Across the pond it would be pretty much anything in England,Scotland or Ireland. 

I rarely remember dreams, but if I'm having a tough time sleeping I'll mentally play one of my familiar courses. Generally it's the Kittyhawk Hawk or Eagle course. Normally, its sawing logs before I make the turn. 

Sometimes, when I'm restless after hitting the sack, I will try to turn my mind to playing a round of golf. The course I always seem to drift to is the one I guess I've played the most. Mill Creek Park, 36 holes of Donald Ross designed golf course! Played some of the best golf of my life there, so it's an easy place to return.

I don't really know if I dream of a specific golf course, I certainly don't remember specific dreams.  On the other hand, I often find myself thinking about golf as I'm falling asleep.  Most often, I'm reliving the most recent round I've played, so most of the time its my home club I'm thinking of.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

So last night, I dreamed that I was going to play golf. It was back in Ohio (I think), but it occurred to me that I have played this course in my dreams before. It is a course I have never played IRL...

- Shane

I would love to play kenwick Park again, or even St Andrews, but the course I dream most about is intercourse :-D

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

11 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

So last night, I dreamed that I was going to play golf. It was back in Ohio (I think), but it occurred to me that I have played this course in my dreams before. It is a course I have never played IRL...

I have had that experience as well. In my dream I'll find myself playing a course that I have never seen before! Oddly enough, the images of the course are incredibly detailed and in sharp focus! And, of course, they are all spectacular! Makes me think I should have gone into course design as a younger man.

I've had dreams about playing golf certainly, but I can't remember a specific course.  Although, I may have had dreams about my old home course near Chicago.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I don't actually dream about golf while sleeping. I usually dream about other stuff going on in my life at the time.

I sometimes replace counting sheep with playing a few holes in my mind at my home course. It usually only takes 5 or 6 holes before I fall a sleep.  

There have been times when on long airline flights (4-5 hours) that I have played complete rounds of golf in my mind to pass the time. I always use a course I am familiar with. I always walk. I see every shot/putt, and pull the appropriate club. I use my pre-shot/post shot routines. Usually as I am finishing up the 18th hole, the plane is close to landing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!