IGNORED

Apple's MacBook Pro Event (10/27/16)

nevets88
Note:Β This thread is 2421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Yeah, just spend $600-$1000+ on a new monitor, problem solved.Β :-P

What are you gonna hookΒ it up to… a cheap non-retina display? :-)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get some great deals for 4K monitors, if you look around.

I got my 4K monitor for $350 at NewEgg. Β It is fantastic. Β Albeit the speaker is terrible, but I use Bose bluetooth speakers so it doesn't bother me.

I figure, I will get a new MBP in a year or two. Β Hopefully any bugs they may have - being the first generation -Β would have been worked out by then.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

21 hours ago, iacas said:

What are you gonna hookΒ it up to… a cheap non-retina display? :-)

Unthinkable, I knowΒ ;-). Β Actually, Apple has recently saidΒ that they are getting out of the external display business.

I read a tear-down of the 13" non-Touch Bar laptops, which are already available, and apparently the SSD, at least on that particular model, ISΒ removable. That one isn't very appealing to me though since it only has two TB3 ports.Β 

Edited by drmevo

What do you all think about the 16GB memory cap? And the not ability to upgrade it yourself as it's soldered on? You'd think a pro line would allow a cap of 32, even 64?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

What do you all think about the 16GB memory cap? And the not ability to upgrade it yourself as it's soldered on? You'd think a pro line would allow a cap of 32, even 64?

Their argument is that 32GB would use too much power and shorten the battery life. So then why not use DDR4Β (which is the latest RAM standard and better on power consumption), since this, after all,Β a high-end laptop? Plenty of Pro users run VM's, resource-hungryΒ Adobe apps, etc., and actually would need more than 16GB. Β 

It seems like Apple can't decide whether this isΒ truly a pro laptop, pro-sumer, or what.Β 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, drmevo said:

Unthinkable, I knowΒ ;-). Β Actually, Apple has recently saidΒ that they are getting out of the external display business.

I don't think they've said it specifically… but they did "partner" with LG for the displays they showed off at the thing. I'm more interested in what they do when (if?????) they update the Mac Pro and Mac mini.

12 hours ago, drmevo said:

I read a tear-down of the 13" non-Touch Bar laptops, which are already available, and apparently the SSD, at least on that particular model, ISΒ removable. That one isn't very appealing to me though since it only has two TB3 ports.Β 

Right.

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

macOS manages swap really well… but yeah, not going to 32 GB is a bit of a downer.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 10/31/2016 at 8:34 AM, drmevo said:

Good to know the hard drive is removable. Probably means the battery is too - very biased towards the long term.

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think they've said it specifically… but they did "partner" with LG for the displays they showed off at the thing. I'm more interested in what they do when (if?????) they update the Mac Pro and Mac mini.

Right.

macOS manages swap really well… but yeah, not going to 32 GB is a bit of a downer.

There is no way I'm getting 8GB of memory for a MBP. 16 is a must.

Still using a 2008Β Mini. Totally chomping at the bit for a refresh of the Mini.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Good to know the hard drive is removable. Probably means the battery is too - very biased towards the long term.

I think that is referring to the old 13" one. The "non-TouchBar" one.

29 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

There is no way I'm getting 8GB of memory for a MBP. 16 is a must.

Still using a 2008Β Mini. Totally chomping at the bit for a refresh of the Mini.

I'm still using a 2007 WhiteΒ MB Β :8)Β (I also have a Lenovo Win10 laptop and my wife has a newerΒ MB Air for work). However, I use my phone for most web browsing stuff and email these days. I basically just use the MB for when I need the desktop version of a site or to work remotely using RDP. Β 

The lack of upgrade options or at least the option to try to future-proof from the get-go is what is most concerning to me at this point. I might just get an Air at this point, perhaps from the refurb store.

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, that is actually the new (but yes, non-Touch bar)Β one, although, they are still selling a version of the old 13" for the time being.Β Why you would buyΒ the old model IΒ can't imagine as it only comes with 128GB of storage for $1299. It also has the older processor, TB2 ports instead of 3, etc. For $200 more you get 256GB and all the new(er) specs on the non-Touch Bar model.

12 hours ago, iacas said:

One tech writer said Apple told him that outright, but I suppose without confirmation from Apple it can't be confirmed.

Β 

Edited by drmevo

23 hours ago, drmevo said:

Their argument is that 32GB would use too much power and shorten the battery life. So then why not use DDR4Β (which is the latest RAM standard and better on power consumption), since this, after all,Β a high-end laptop? Plenty of Pro users run VM's, resource-hungryΒ Adobe apps, etc., and actually would need more than 16GB. Β 

It seems like Apple can't decide whether this isΒ truly a pro laptop, pro-sumer, or what.Β 

Debatable on needing 32 GB. In some instances there is hardly a notice between 8 and 16 GB. Computers have a big diminishing return issue on high end components. I would say as long as you are not running something like aΒ CADD program then 16 is plenty.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Guess we'llΒ have to wait for the ifixitΒ tear down.Β 

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Debatable on needing 32 GB. In some instances there is hardly a notice between 8 and 16 GB. Computers have a big diminishing return issue on high end components. I would say as long as you are not running something like aΒ CADD program then 16 is plenty.Β 

I agree, but back in 2008, the MBP came with 2 or 4 I forget. After a couple of OS upgrades, and then bumping it to 8, I found a noticeable improvement in performance, like with 20 tabs open in Chrome for example. You just don't know what's going to happen in the future and memory and disk space are two big factors in future proofing.

Also VMs, of course most people aren't going to run VMs, but they suck up memory fast. Dedicate 4Β to Linux or 8 to Windows, you just lost a big chunk of memory in one go.

Β 

Steve

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Guess we'llΒ have to wait for the ifixitΒ tear down.Β 

Watch the keynote. They show you the solid state storage. Pretty sure it was a series of chips, not an SSD.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Watch the keynote. They show you the solid state storage. Pretty sure it was a series of chips, not an SSD.

So I'm guessing it's soldered on SoC like. Oh well. Will take a look.Β 

Steve

IIRC, this analyst, Kuo, is pretty accurate. What the what? So there will be a new line after the new line is released two weeks from now? Despite the first paragraph, read on, it's more likely no 32 gigs until 2018 because Intel.

Report: Apple, Inc. to Release New MacBook Pro Computers in 2017

Per a report from well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI Securities (via MacRumors), Apple, Inc.(NASDAQ: AAPL) is planning to launch new MacBook Pro systems during the second half of 2017. These new systems, the analyst says, could support up to 32 gigabytes of system memory -- an increase from the 16 gigabytes that the recently released models have.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/11/02/report-apple-inc-to-release-new-macbook-pro-computers-in-2017.html

Review of new MBP, the one w/o the Touch Bar. Probably in line with what those who are closely following the MBP lineΒ expected.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/11/review-cheapest-2016-macbook-pro-is-good-but-its-missing-all-the-cool-stuff/

Β 

Steve

I hope that isn't true. I really don't want to shell out a lot of money just to have them come out with a new one next year. Why do that when they already spent over 500 days to get this one out. Nearly doubling their average release time for their MBP.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I hope that isn't true. I really don't want to shell out a lot of money just to have them come out with a new one next year. Why do that when they already spent over 500 days to get this one out. Nearly doubling their average release time for their MBP.Β 

Of course they're going to come out with a new one… did you read where it says the "second half of 2017"?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

If you ignore the 527 days it took to get the Touch Bar version we have now, the previous generations were replaced/updated after 294, 280, 251, and 247 days. That's an average of 268 days. 262 days from now isΒ July 22, 2017.

If you're constantly living in fear of your computer being replaced with a Β newer, better model… you'll never buy a computer.

The only real trick is to not buy a new computer right before the lineup is updated.

42 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

IIRC, this analyst, Kuo, is pretty accurate. What the what? So there will be a new line after the new line is released two weeks from now? Despite the first paragraph, read on, it's more likely no 32 gigs until 2018 because Intel.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/11/02/report-apple-inc-to-release-new-macbook-pro-computers-in-2017.html

Review of new MBP, the one w/o the Touch Bar. Probably in line with what those who are closely following the MBP lineΒ expected.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/11/review-cheapest-2016-macbook-pro-is-good-but-its-missing-all-the-cool-stuff/

Β 

That's just a new chipset, not a full redesign. Apple updates chipsets mid-cycle all the time.Β 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

3 hours ago, jamo said:

That's just a new chipset, not a full redesign. Apple updates chipsets mid-cycle all the time.Β 

:doh:Β Doh, my mistake. I misinterpreted the article as a full redesign, 1 -Β 2,Β when it's just an incremental upgrade, 0.1 - 0.2. That makes more sense. They could have changed the wording of the title - new to update.

The way the article was written though, you can tell that it's in response to all the people complaining about the memory cap.Β 

Steve

Note:Β This thread is 2421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!