IGNORED

Apple's MacBook Pro Event (10/27/16)

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

YAY!! The MacBook has arrived :) 

It's pretty :) 

Guess what I'm going to ask?

Spoiler

Battery Life

Do tell us after you've used it after awhile. :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Guess what I'm going to ask?

Reveal hidden contents

Do tell us after you've used it after awhile. :-)

I might divulge such information ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 12/10/2016 at 6:39 PM, saevel25 said:

I might divulge such information ;)

OS update seems to improve battery life

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

40 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's good. As of right now I was getting around 7-8 hours.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

7-8 hours isn't too bad.  You can't expect to get 10 hours they advertise as it is under an ideal condition.

What about the keyboard?  I've tried it out in an Apple store, and I must say I am not a big fan of the new keyboard.  Very minimal travel distance and loud.

I thought about picking one up, but after all the reviews I've read, I decided to stick with my 2011 MBP and wait for the next iteration.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

7-8 hours isn't too bad.  You can't expect to get 10 hours they advertise as it is under an ideal condition.

What about the keyboard?  I've tried it out in an Apple store, and I must say I am not a big fan of the new keyboard.  Very minimal travel distance and loud.

I thought about picking one up, but after all the reviews I've read, I decided to stick with my 2011 MBP and wait for the next iteration.

I like the keyboard. It types really well. It is very clicky. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I like the keyboard. It types really well. It is very clicky. 

Did you find the almost flush to the surface weird at first? Feels like wait, I think I need to type that again, oh, it came up, forget about it.

It's going to be tricky cleaning the keys I would think, seems like easier for water to get in?

Steve

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Yukari said:

I think we'll continue to see shallower travel. More and more people are getting used to typing on glass.

Travel is the ultimate in tactile feedback. But, people also tend to adjust pretty quickly, and you never know… each key may eventually have a "taptic" engine in it in the future (or they'll space enough out that they can semi "localize" the feedback. Though only after they can make that thinner than the travel is now. Otherwise what's the point? :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Did you find the almost flush to the surface weird at first? Feels like wait, I think I need to type that again, oh, it came up, forget about it.

It's going to be tricky cleaning the keys I would think, seems like easier for water to get in?

Not really. There is enough rise to the keys. Though I have pretty good typing ability. As long as the keys are not awkwardly spaced then most keyboards work for me. 

I don't think you'll get much dirt under these the keys. They seem to sit such that part of the keys is below the top of the laptop. It's not like most keyboards where you have a lot of gap space between the keys. 

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I think we'll continue to see shallower travel. More and more people are getting used to typing on glass.

I kinda wonder when we will see this. Where they just go to a digital keyboard. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 months later...

After much thought and consideration, I am this close to tapping the buy button on a 13 inch - 16GB RAM, 0.5 TB SSD. Equivalent customizations for the 2015 retina is only $200 less, new model, priced on B&H. Of course, gonna have to add in buying dongles and cables. Will be going from a 2009 (which is chugging along nicely, yes, it's not fast) to 2016 model, talk about time for an upgrade.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Finally bought an escape key 13 inch w/16 GB and 512 SSD, my old Mac cannot upgrade to Sierra, which kind of forced the issue, have only gotten familiar with the video aspects so far, and of course, it's eons better than the 2009 model I was using. Waiting for the USB-C hub to come, cross fingers hope I can get a dual monitor setup going, one 4K, the other HDMI. Having only two ports, I realize that's going to be awkward, but not gonna bite on the touchbar.

Steve

On 5/24/2017 at 7:35 PM, nevets88 said:

Finally bought an escape key 13 inch w/16 GB and 512 SSD, my old Mac cannot upgrade to Sierra, which kind of forced the issue, have only gotten familiar with the video aspects so far, and of course, it's eons better than the 2009 model I was using. Waiting for the USB-C hub to come, cross fingers hope I can get a dual monitor setup going, one 4K, the other HDMI. Having only two ports, I realize that's going to be awkward, but not gonna bite on the touchbar.

You do realize they are - supposedly - announcing new MBP on June 5th. 

Don

9 hours ago, Yukari said:

You do realize they are - supposedly - announcing new MBP on June 5th. 

Yes, I timed the purchase so that I have wiggle room to return it and wait for the upgrade. 

Steve

Smart move. 

I am hoping the new ones coming out worked out all the bugs

Don

• 3 months later...
On 28/10/2016 at 2:30 AM, davechen said:

Welp, I've already configured a new Macbook Pro.  I like the touch bar.  My current one is pretty long in the tooth at 3 years old.

how'd you find it in real life? I went top-of-the line and don't enjoy the touch-bar experience as much as I expected

Dan Vesma

M2 10.5, Old Bendy Fazer 3W, Mizuno MP-59 Irons, Cheapy Wedges & Monza Rossa Putter
Back playing after 6 years, no hcp yet, just lots of shouting

Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!