IGNORED

Carry/Stand or Cart bag

Note: This thread is 2599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My current stand bag has finally broken down (the legs broke on both sides), so I am in the market for a new bag. I can't make my mind up if I want a kart bag or another carry/stand bag. Most of the time, we ride a kart. but i do like being able to take my bag to the range and stand it up while I'm practicing. I guess this is not a huge issue because they do have the racks to place your bag as well. With my 14 year old playing high school golf, we may walk some as well, but i am thinking about purchasing a push kart for those times. So I am leaning towards the kart bag. I like the carry bags because they are so light.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons to my situation? I'm leaning toward Sun Mountain no matter which route I choose. Thanks in advance

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're going to walk some of the time, even with a push-cart, I'd suggest you go with the lighter bag.  I know if I had a larger cart bag, I'd fill it up with all kinds of extraneous junk, mostly because there was room to do it.  By using a carry bag, even if its not the lightest one available, you'll limit the amount of junk you keep.  Sun Mountain makes very good golf bags, its hard to go wrong there, although I'm now carrying a Ping Hoofer that's really nice too.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

57 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If you're going to walk some of the time, even with a push-cart, I'd suggest you go with the lighter bag.  I know if I had a larger cart bag, I'd fill it up with all kinds of extraneous junk, mostly because there was room to do it.  By using a carry bag, even if its not the lightest one available, you'll limit the amount of junk you keep.  Sun Mountain makes very good golf bags, its hard to go wrong there, although I'm now carrying a Ping Hoofer that's really nice too.  

That is one fear I have of getting a bigger bag...keeping it filled with unnecessary junk.

I also just realized I spelled cart wrong...lol. I'm used to using that term in the context of our go kart racing. That was habit.

Bryan A

• iacas changed the title to Carry/Stand or Cart bag

Some push carts are made with notches to accomadate the legs of a standing carry cart, some don't. If they don't have the notches it won't carry a carry bag very well.  See the arrows on the image pointing at the notches of this caddy tek cart.

caddytek.JPG

• Upvote 1

I've had both. If walking, I would prefer the stand bag without the organized pockets, but simple dividers. Much easier to pull out a club while walking, at least seemed so to me. The cart bag speaks for itself. Larger, more compartments, but heavier.  I also have an old Ben Hogan Tour "Sunday" bag, One zippered pocket for balls, one side pocket for wind breaker or???  I would only carry 4 or 5 clubs at the most.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I would ask how old you are, and how often do you walk/carry? When I was a younger man all I did was walk & carry, and I had a lightweight bag. Plus, my game was such that I never needed to carry more than a sleeve of balls.

After a while my knees started telling me they didn't like that so much anymore. I have a reconstructed ACL in my right knee, and normal football and basketball wear and tear on my left. I bought a slightly bigger bag and a pull cart, and used those for many years. I'm at the place now where I ride a cart, but do walk a few holes during a round. My buddy likes to drive the cart, but we still wind up with several of his clubs in my bag and my clubs in his!

I've had decent luck with Sun Mountain, Ping, Ogio, and Nike. All pretty good, none of them are what I'd consider perfect. 

I'd lean towards a stand bag just for the versatility. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

20 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I would ask how old you are, and how often do you walk/carry? When I was a younger man all I did was walk & carry, and I had a lightweight bag. Plus, my game was such that I never needed to carry more than a sleeve of balls.

After a while my knees started telling me they didn't like that so much anymore. I have a reconstructed ACL in my right knee, and normal football and basketball wear and tear on my left. I bought a slightly bigger bag and a pull cart, and used those for many years. I'm at the place now where I ride a cart, but do walk a few holes during a round. My buddy likes to drive the cart, but we still wind up with several of his clubs in my bag and my clubs in his!

I am 38 and it's rare that I walk, although I do want to walk more next year because my 14 year old will walk most of the time. And it will be good exercise for me. I still foresee riding more than walking.

4 hours ago, jamo said:

I've had decent luck with Sun Mountain, Ping, Ogio, and Nike. All pretty good, none of them are what I'd consider perfect. 

I'd lean towards a stand bag just for the versatility. 

I've had a Nike bag that was good and my Ogio is the one that I am referring about the legs breaking off of it. The problem was the actual hard rubber mounting point of the legs broke on both sides. I think one broke a while back which put more stress on the other one and caused it to break later on.  I have been wanting to try a Sun Mountain bag since reading reviews though.

What do you guys think about the 14 way divider versus the non 14? Is it worth the additional weight to have the separation?

Bryan A

1 minute ago, TN94z said:

I've had a Nike bag that was good and my Ogio is the one that I am referring about the legs breaking off of it. The problem was the actual hard rubber mounting point of the legs broke on both sides. I think one broke a while back which put more stress on the other one and caused it to break later on.  I have been wanting to try a Sun Mountain bag since reading reviews though.

The only issue I ever had with my Ogio is with the little rubber feet falling off, but they sent me a replacement even after my warranty had expired, so no qualms there.

1 minute ago, TN94z said:

What do you guys think about the 14 way divider versus the non 14? Is it worth the additional weight to have the separation?

The Nike I had was a 14-way divider, everything else has been 6-ish. For me, the 14-way added too much weight. That bag also had a lot of pockets that I think enabled me to carry more stuff that I didn't actually need.

But if you're only very rarely going to be carrying it, 14-way is probably the way to go. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have never seen the necessity of a larger, heavier, cart bag over the lighter stand or carry bags.  I will walk and executive course where I live with a pull cart and ride a cart for the championship length courses and the stand bag works just fine.  I also carry the bag to a certain degree either at the range or walking to and from my car - at 65 my back can do without the heavy bag. 

17 hours ago, jamo said:

The Nike I had was a 14-way divider, everything else has been 6-ish. For me, the 14-way added too much weight. That bag also had a lot of pockets that I think enabled me to carry more stuff that I didn't actually need.

But if you're only very rarely going to be carrying it, 14-way is probably the way to go. 

I agree with @jamo, I wouldn't choose a bag with the 14-way dividers if I was going to carry it,  I probably wouldn't choose it no matter what, but I understand that a lot of folks like the convenience of keeping each club separate.  One thing to check, if you use one of the oversize putter grips, that the putter slot is big enough to accommodate the grip.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I think I'll just stick with the stand bag as I have for years and not worry about the dividers either. I haven't used them in that past, so it's not that big of a deal. I just thought if they helped that much, then I might try them this time. For sure going with a sun mountain though. I've never had one and only read great things about them.

Bryan A

I got an Ogio cart bag at the same time I got my Clicgear cart and never looked back. I like having the larger pockets.  My bag has an insulated cooler pocket so I can put drinks and food in there, and I use the other big pockets for rain gear, jacket (either once it warms up or ready to go if things cool down), etc. I really don't think the weight difference is much of a factor if you're going to use a cart all the time.  If you're walking, why wouldn't you? 

13 minutes ago, drmevo said:

I got an Ogio cart bag at the same time I got my Clicgear cart and never looked back. I like having the larger pockets.  My bag has an insulated cooler pocket so I can put drinks and food in there, and I use the other big pockets for rain gear, jacket (either once it warms up or ready to go if things cool down), etc. I really don't think the weight difference is much of a factor if you're going to use a cart all the time.  If you're walking, why wouldn't you? 

Mine will be a mix of walking (with cart) or riding. Thanks for the reply

Bryan A

• 3 weeks later...

Sun Mountain is the way to go - excellent quality. I go with C-130 stand bag. Like the convenience of the stand bag.  Larger than most I suppose but has 14 full length dividers, which is great and fits nice on my push cart.  Good use of pockets, can fit everything you would need.  Works well when riding also, but definitely not a bag that'd be good to carry.  

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• 1 month later...

Great discussion here. I am just about to buy a golf bag and my eyes stopped on the stand bag as well. I am thinking about Callaway 2016 Hyper-Lite 5 Stand Bag.

What do you guys think of that bag? Any advice is highly appreciated :)

On 10/28/2016 at 2:21 PM, TN94z said:

My current stand bag has finally broken down (the legs broke on both sides), so I am in the market for a new bag. I can't make my mind up if I want a kart bag or another carry/stand bag. Most of the time, we ride a kart. but i do like being able to take my bag to the range and stand it up while I'm practicing. I guess this is not a huge issue because they do have the racks to place your bag as well. With my 14 year old playing high school golf, we may walk some as well, but i am thinking about purchasing a push kart for those times. So I am leaning towards the kart bag. I like the carry bags because they are so light.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons to my situation? I'm leaning toward Sun Mountain no matter which route I choose. Thanks in advance

cart bag looks nice and stuff but i was like u and had a cart bag and when the wing blew that bag would fall over at the range. i went back and sold the cart bag and bought a stand bag. had it for four years and don't want a new bag at all. those days when it's cart patch only and it's lot faster to jus walk vs driving up ten feet and walking across the fwy to hit the ball and figure out you have the wrong club. cart bags are heavy and if you want a cart bag i'd jus go buy a staff bag. i got one and use it when i ride on carts. and use the stand bag when i walk. 

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

Note: This thread is 2599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!