IGNORED

Pretending to be a Tour Player

GolferPGA
Note: This thread is 2721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He is in 7th grade right now and just started playing 6 months ago and is shooting in the 90's. He will be establishing a handicap next year along with starting to compete in junior tournaments. Our season is done for now but I'm going to get him on a small simulator we have at the school so at least he can keep swinging through the winter. I am having him focus hard on the short game and putting as he has a really nice full swing. Thanks again for replying, really cool to actually be talking with an active PGA tour player!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Kyle,

Welcome to thesandtrap!  One thing I've always wondered; how do the green speeds of your average PGA Tour event (not majors or WGCs, but like maybe John Deere, Career Builder, or Waste Management) compare to when the rest of us would normally play a course like that?

1 minute ago, GolferPGA said:

They definitely speed them up for the events. TPC Deere Run and Scottsdale runs about 9 or 9.5 on the average day and they get them up to about 11 to 12 for the events. Now the Players...

So along those same lines, we've had conversations on here where some have suggested that once you've learned how to deal with faster greens, you'd probably find them easier to putt.  And on tour, that's even more true given the pristine conditions.

So I guess I'd be curious as to what your take on that is.  Obviously not accounting for the pressure of the tournament, is it easier or harder for you to putt at tour events than just at your home course where greens might be slower and bumpier?

(edited)

Definitely. The good things on tour is that greens run so pure. If you hit it on the right line, with the right speed it should go in. However, with that comes the speed element. Can't have them both. 

Much easier to putt just because of pristine conditions. 

Checking out for the night. Will answer more tomorrow. 

Edited by GolferPGA

29 minutes ago, awmgolfer said:

He is in 7th grade right now and just started playing 6 months ago and is shooting in the 90's. He will be establishing a handicap next year along with starting to compete in junior tournaments. Our season is done for now but I'm going to get him on a small simulator we have at the school so at least he can keep swinging through the winter. I am having him focus hard on the short game and putting as he has a really nice full swing. Thanks again for replying, really cool to actually be talking with an active PGA tour player!!

He has almost no chance.-His peers are shooting low 70s by now. Only about eight people born any year worldwide play on the PGA Tour for 4 or more years.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

After the Ryder Cup, there was a lot of talk about golf fans and how it relates back to the game.  We see roudy-ness every once in a while like TPC Scottsdale 16th hole.  What is the talk among players about how they want fans to "behave"? Where is the line drawn?

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

10 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

He has almost no chance.-His peers are shooting low 70s by now. Only about eight people born any year worldwide play on the PGA Tour for 4 or more years.

No - they are not. Looking at recent leaderboards of large junior events in Texas (where one can play 12 months out of the year - I saw 12-13 yr old in the high 70's-low's 80's. Agree it is best to get a child into tournaments, but these kids are just starting to hit puberty, and if they are resilient, dedicated, and play in tourneys soon, and are strongly competitive, they can make up that time. Don't want to stomp on a kid's dream - even if they don't make a tour, their talent can pay for college. And he was asking the OP, but I'm sure we all appreciate your contribution. Thanks.

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 4

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The majority of the players are fine with the fans behavior as it is. They come to events to have fun, not be robots. I am a huge fan of the 16th at Scottsdale. But If what was said to some of the European players at the Ryder Cup is true, that is crossing the line. 

The kid's dream is to play on the PGA tour. I understand that. But make sure he does that there are many pros and amateurs with a ton of game (+4 and +5's) that you have never heard of. It is extremely hard to be and stay on the PGA tour. I know you hear stories about guys taking up the game late in life (Dufner) But the thing with those rare cases, is that within a year, they are shooting par or 1 or 2 under consistently. Dufner told me he was average about 71.1 after his first year in Junior events. 

(edited)
44 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

The majority of the players are fine with the fans behavior as it is. They come to events to have fun, not be robots. I am a huge fan of the 16th at Scottsdale. But If what was said to some of the European players at the Ryder Cup is true, that is crossing the line. 

The kid's dream is to play on the PGA tour. I understand that. But make sure he does that there are many pros and amateurs with a ton of game (+4 and +5's) that you have never heard of. It is extremely hard to be and stay on the PGA tour. I know you hear stories about guys taking up the game late in life (Dufner) But the thing with those rare cases, is that within a year, they are shooting par or 1 or 2 under consistently. Dufner told me he was average about 71.1 after his first year in Junior events. 

Knows, not does. Golf can also help him in business and sales if he chooses to pursue that. And he doesn't need to be a plus handicap in order for it to be an asset. If he is a decent golfer (10 handicap and below) people are going to love to play with him. 

Edited by GolferPGA

It seems that some players only register for certain events, maybe it fits their eye or they just play better on a certain type of course.  Do you pick and choose events to some degree? If so, what makes an event/course fit your criteria?  

Also, do you have a general game plan for how you play a course?  As in, you are going to a course for the first time.  How do you play that course?  Is it just hit driver and hope for the best, are you going for a certain distance from the green, or just trying to miss obstacles in the fairway, etc.?

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I like to play I events that tend to have higher winning scores (6-9 under) I probably don't fare to great on courses where the winner is 25 under (CIMB Classic) but I take what I can get. 

I tend to try to leave myself a comfortable wedge into the green. But you have to be willing to change based on situation. Don't always hit iron because hole is 350 etc. A player that had the mindset just hit driver and hope wouldn't last long on tour to be honest.

Hi @GolferPGA, best ballstrikers you've seen in person?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 2721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!