IGNORED

Pretending to be a Tour Player

GolferPGA
Note: This thread is 2730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

If you could become the best in the world at one of the skills in golf, which would you choose and why?

(Take "skills" however you want.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Short game. When someone is on (playing great), we all can strike the ball great. But short game helps to cover up bad ball striking. I think I was something like 150th on tour for strokes gained around the green. Not good...

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

Short game. When someone is on (playing great), we all can strike the ball great. But short game helps to cover up bad ball striking. I think I was something like 150th on tour for strokes gained around the green. Not good...

You'd get more out of improving your iron play.

You were 147th with -0.127 strokes (lost) "around the green" last year. The leader was 0.544 (0.671 difference).

Adam Scott led in Approach to the Green SG with 1.471, while you were 108th with 0.061 (a difference of 1.41).

So my next question… have you read Lowest Score Wins or Every Shot Counts (the latter of which admittedly focuses far more on PGA Tour players while I was concerned more with average golfers). (If you want to provide an address in a PM I'll mail a copy of my book to you. Your caddie might enjoy it. :-))

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Cool thread, I have a question for ya

I recently have rekindled my dedication to golf and have been improving consistently by a couple strokes per season for a couple years now. Hopefully, if things continue to go the way they are, I can be at + handicap in a few more seasons.

My question is where would you say to look for someone who is craving competition? I have read a little bit on the smaller tours around the states and I'm wondering how big  the commitment is, and what kind of scores would it take in order for it to be worth the time and money?

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

(edited)

Very astute analysis iacas. I will try to improve upon my ball striking. Adam Scott is an absolute machine though. I will pass on the book, but it sounds like a good read. Thanks for the offer. 

Mop Bucket, if you mean mini tours (swing thought, pepsi) it takes 16 under over 4 days with conditions the same as PGA tour courses. It is so tough. And the prize money is not what it is on the PGA. So I would say unless you are a solid +4, you won't break even. Sorry but that is the truth. Those guys are ex-pros and college players.

However, if you do get to a plus handicap, I would suggest your club championship and state golf association events. These will provide you with the competitive sense, with little pressure. And a lot less money out of the wallet...

Edited by GolferPGA
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for your time answering our questions.

Do you have any kind of specific nutrition plan during a round or do you just eat whatever whenever?

How much of your practice time do you spend with a launch monitor?

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

(edited)

Chef Cuts during a round. (Sponsors) But I rarely eat during rounds. Always keep water bottle in the bag...

I spend the first day of the week for a tournament getting my numbers squared away on Trackman. All that time in the gym might have messed up some yardages! 

You are very welcome. It is always good to give advice to those looking for help. 

Edited by GolferPGA

Natural Patrick, if you mean Monday Qualifying, it is about $400. If you don't need to Monday qualify, it is just a locker room tip/fee of 50 dollars minimum. But most guys always tip more. 

I hope so Carl. They need to send a message tonight, though. A victory is a victory but if they beat Cleveland down, they will show them that it isn't over. Get to game 7 and all bets are off. Anything could happen. But to answer your question, no. The Cubs drought will continue. 

(edited)

No, I rarely go flag hunting. Unless it is a wedge/short iron or I need to make birdie on 72nd hole. And if it is in the middle of the green i guess.

I don't because the PGA makes it where if you miss it in the wrong spot, it is a double bogey. At the pro level, it is about misses, not great shots and picking your opportunities. 

Edited by GolferPGA

7 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

No, I rarely go flag hunting. Unless it is a wedge/short iron or I need to make birdie on 72nd hole. And if it is in the middle of the green i guess.

I don't because the PGA makes it where if you miss it in the wrong spot, it is a double bogey. At the pro level, it is about misses, not great shots and picking your opportunities. 

What is your favorite course and favorite tournament.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 6:23 PM, GolferPGA said:

I take the shortest club that can get it there and hit. At least by taking a low club, it makes me commit in a way to the shot.

Love this comment, it's my general approach as well but damn, I do forget it from time to time and try to finesse the longer club in there; almost invariably a mistake (for me).

New fan here Kyle, appreciate you reaching out to this forum.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Favorite course is Muirfield Village. I caddied there when I was a kid. I like the Players because of the 17th, but the Barbasol Championship is number 1. Low pressure. Feel like I can just play golf for the week. 

Thank you for the support, Gunther. Always nice to gain another fan. 

5 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

Favorite course is Muirfield Village. I caddied there when I was a kid. I like the Players because of the 17th, but the Barbasol Championship is number 1. Low pressure. Feel like I can just play golf for the week. 

I'll second that with Gunther that it is very cool that you would take the time to respond on this forum.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

6 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

I hope you get to play there. I've been a volunteer and spectator at the tournament for years, and that course is amazing. Did you ever get to meet Jack?

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!