IGNORED

Breaking 80 Thread

Hazsa
Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I don't care what others tell you as @iacas says repeatedly, having a good long game will reduce your score faster than the short game.

100% agree (it shouldn't even be up for debate) that long game is what allows big improvements in score.  But I'll quibble with this sentence.  Developing a good long game will reduce your scores dramatically more in the long term!  But if you don't have an already solid+ short game, you can drop a few strokes much faster leveling up your short game.  The trick is that you'll plateau relatively quickly.  You can only gain a handful of strokes (unless your short game is ****ing awful, like just off green is usually at least two pitches and average 40+ putts) with only short game work.

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, mdl said:

100% agree (it shouldn't even be up for debate) that long game is what allows big improvements in score.  But I'll quibble with this sentence.  Developing a good long game will reduce your scores dramatically more in the long term!  But if you don't have an already solid+ short game, you can drop a few strokes much faster leveling up your short game.  The trick is that you'll plateau relatively quickly.  You can only gain a handful of strokes (unless your short game is ****ing awful, like just off green is usually at least two pitches and average 40+ putts) with only short game work.

Totally agree... I am a pretty terrible putter and not very good around the greens, but improving ball striking has got me down to the low single digits. I hit between 11-13 greens per round and rarely shoot over 79. Unfortunately, I either don't hit it close enough, or I am just that bad in the short game because I also rarely break par.

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

1 minute ago, anker0071 said:

Totally agree... I am a pretty terrible putter and not very good around the greens, but improving ball striking has got me down to the low single digits. I hit between 11-13 greens per round and rarely shoot over 79. Unfortunately, I either don't hit it close enough, or I am just that bad in the short game because I also rarely break par.

I have wet dreams about always being in the 72-79 range.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1 minute ago, mdl said:

I have wet dreams about always being in the 72-79 range.

That's graphic... haha j/k. I found improving is definitely not linear. Kinda like weight loss, you have to fight through some stalls. One of the best things I did was play rounds (by myself on crappy weather days) from the most forward tees. It got me used to scoring lower than I normally was. You have to practice going low just like any other skill.

• Upvote 3

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

Gotta throw my vote toward the long game, as well, in regard to having the biggest impact on rounds where I broke 80.  I've only done it twice (once in each of the past two seasons), and they were rounds where I really struck it well.  It led to 3 or 4 birdies in each of those rounds, and really helped overcome a 3-jack or poor greenside chip on other holes.

The shot zones/shot mapping in LSW has also changed the way I play my home course, and generally in a more aggressive fashion from the tee.  There are some shorter par 4's with landing areas that open up & play safer the further out you are, so I started using driver more to take the tight trouble spots out of play.  I actually saw a pretty noticeable decline in sideways-punchouts playing the holes this way after reading the book, and had more looks at GIR's.  

That being said, it usually leaves me with those 70-90 yard pitch shots...which is the worst part of my game right now.  Planning to give these yardages some more attention in practice this year in effort to hit more greens & make more pars.

- Bill

To break 80.....

In all honesty, you don't need to drive the ball well or hit your irons well.  Just smack the ball around.....and keep it relatively on the lot.  Avoid the big numbers....Hit a few greens....... chip/putt with moderate ability and you are in the 70s.  Pretty easy, right?

My 2 cents...LOL

• Upvote 2

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

8 hours ago, Let it Fly said:

Gotta throw my vote toward the long game, as well, in regard to having the biggest impact on rounds where I broke 80.  I've only done it twice (once in each of the past two seasons), and they were rounds where I really struck it well.  It led to 3 or 4 birdies in each of those rounds, and really helped overcome a 3-jack or poor greenside chip on other holes.

The shot zones/shot mapping in LSW has also changed the way I play my home course, and generally in a more aggressive fashion from the tee.  There are some shorter par 4's with landing areas that open up & play safer the further out you are, so I started using driver more to take the tight trouble spots out of play.  I actually saw a pretty noticeable decline in sideways-punchouts playing the holes this way after reading the book, and had more looks at GIR's.  

That being said, it usually leaves me with those 70-90 yard pitch shots...which is the worst part of my game right now.  Planning to give these yardages some more attention in practice this year in effort to hit more greens & make more pars.

Improving the long game is a valid point. But you also mention 3 jacking and poor chip shots.

Whatever you might think of Hank Haney as an instructor, he had some great advice along these lines, and they address all parts of the game. His advice was, "Eliminate "penalty" strokes, turn two chips into one, and turn three putts into two!"

To explain; Haney said that for him, a "penalty" stroke wasn't necessarily hitting it OB and taking stroke and distance. For him, a penalty stroke was anytime you bombed it into the woods and were forced to punch out sideways, unable to advance the ball toward the green. You still have just as far to go, but now you're hitting one more!

Two chips into one is self explanatory, but it's amazing how many amateurs refuse to hear the explanation. Get the ball on the green so you can putt! My buddy has a terrible problem with this, trying to get too cute with the shot.

The putting tip is basically the same, except I find that it pertains more to distance control than reading the break. Most guys I play with are pretty good at reading break. What they are NOT good at is distance control! They knock it 5 feet by or they leave it 5 foot short!

And those 5 footers will kill you!

• Upvote 2

Here is an example of a recent round which I broke 80.  I am not getting good distance at the moment due to recovering from a knee injury, but I didn't get in trouble (advance the ball safely) and played a good short game.  So, distance isn't everything (although it certainly does help)

IMG_0059.PNG

Edited by Denny Bang Bang
  • Upvote 2

On 3/10/2017 at 9:44 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Get the ball on the green so you can putt!

Such a simple and effective concept  More times than not, it leaves me kicking myself in the instances where I don't adhere to it.  Whether it's the 3rd, 4th, etc shot onto the green...one extra wasted shot is the difference between 79 & 80.

Like the avatar, Buckeye...congrats if that's a recent development!  

- Bill

My long game is pretty solid, I know it's against LSW but my short game tends to cost me more strokes than my long game. I could consistently be in the 70s if I went to my no doubles chipping and pitching strategy. @iacas probably has an idea of what I am talking about. If anyone asks I will explain it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

My long game is pretty solid, I know it's against LSW but my short game tends to cost me more strokes than my long game. I could consistently be in the 70s if I went to my no doubles chipping and pitching strategy. @iacas probably has an idea of what I am talking about. If anyone asks I will explain it.

Just get the ball on the green. You probably go after too many higher risk short game shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/13/2017 at 10:32 AM, iacas said:

Just get the ball on the green. You probably go after too many higher risk short game shots.

Erik, just getting the ball on the green is my anti-doubles strategy. I tend to forget to do that in tournaments sometimes, Though i am known to roll in the odd 30-foot par putt occasionally. :)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Saturday I played a new course. 11/14 fairways, 8 GIR, 6 nGIR, but sadly I putted like I had never seen putting before. Admittedly, I had been told that the greens were almost unfair as to how difficult they were and I agree...but still I could done much better

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I play with a gentleman who is 84 years old. He still shoots in the 70's most of the time. How does he do it? He hits the ball off the tee straight and rarely misses a fairway. He strikes his irons solid and if he somehow misses a green he is right near it. His short game and putting is very good. My only thought is when you have an iron into the green don't go pin hunting. If you aim for the middle of the green you will more times hit the green than if you go chasing after pins. This is a fun thread and all of you who are taking the journey to break 80 best wishes and I hope you reach your target score with ease this year.

1 minute ago, shanksalot said:

I play with a gentleman who is 84 years old. He still shoots in the 70's most of the time. How does he do it? He hits the ball off the tee straight and rarely misses a fairway. He strikes his irons solid and if he somehow misses a green he is right near it. His short game and putting is very good. My only thought is when you have an iron into the green don't go pin hunting. If you aim for the middle of the green you will more times hit the green than if you go chasing after pins. This is a fun thread and all of you who are taking the journey to break 80 best wishes and I hope you reach your target score with ease this year.

LSW talks a lot about these points; GIR's, nGIR's, aim at the center of the green.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

LSW talks a lot about these points; GIR's, nGIR's, aim at the center of the green.

I know that is why I mentioned  my friend because if a guy in his 80's still scores low with accuracy and a shot game it should be just as easy for those of us who are not that old.

Just now, shanksalot said:

I know that is why I mentioned  my friend because if a guy in his 80's still scores low with accuracy and a shot game it should be just as easy for those of us who are not that old.

yeah....it's quite embarrassing for me :8)

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!