IGNORED

Breaking 80 Thread

Hazsa
Note: This thread is 1625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is something I'm desperate to achieve. There must be others on this forum looking to do this for the first time or aiming do it on a more regular basis. Here's a thread to discuss your progress/ struggles/ and hopefully achievements (I'm pretty sure there isn't an existing Breaking 80 Thread). 

I've been playing some of my best golf recently, and I've played numerous rounds where I was denied by a moment of stupidity or a lapse of concentration. The one that sticks in my mind; a few weeks back I had played 17 really pleasing holes of golf. I walked onto the Par 5 18th needing just a par to card my first 79. I nailed my drive 240 up the middle, but then I caught my 4H a touch heavy leaving myself 130 from some wet rough. I again hit a heavy shot, and when I finally made the green I 3 putted for an 81. I was angry with myself at the time, and probably rather insufferable company given I'd just played a great round of golf.

To ensure I finally get there I want to really limit the number of DB's. I'm probably averaging at least 3 or 4 per round atm, and they're usually a result of a brain fart; a really stupid or lazy shot with almost any club.

Edited by Hazsa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am right there with you man and glad to see this thread get started. I've started making notes around what is holding me back so I can focus on those parts of my game:

Driving - so much better and having a driver fit for my game has made a tremendous improvement

Irons/Approach - a work in progress to better ball striking. My key focus here has been aiming properly. I was aiming to far right of target.

Short game - lots of work needed here. I've been focused almost exclusively on Full Swing, so now need to spend much more time to get better.

Putting - has been a focus of mine recently, and I went to an Aimpoint coach that helped a ton. I've made more one putts, some for birdie even than I can remember. Still a lot of work to be done here, especially on distance control.

The closest I've come is an 81 a few weeks back, so I know it's possible! 

Edited by skeedawg
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I broke 80 one time last year on a pretty easy course from the middle tees. I have a few other times, but it's a par 67 course, so I don't really count that. To me, it has to be +7 or better to count. The interesting thing is, the HCI for the 75 that I shot (13.3) on the easy course is not my lowest. The low to mid 80s scores on the longer/tougher courses have HCIs of 11 or lower. My point being that you can play a short/easy course or play from the forward tees to check the box for breaking 80, but it probably won't be your best round. My goal is to have more rounds in the 10-11 range. The best way to get there IMO is to work on that full swing.

When you get into that situation where you need X to post that big score, you have to be able to deal with the pressure. Years ago, I only needed 2 pars to have a back 9 36. I was a par machine that day with 1 bogey and 1 birdie. The front was in the upper 40s if I recall. When I started thinking about it, I tried really hard not to think about it. I tensed up and finished with 2 bogeys. Still not bad, but I wanted it SOOOOO bad. That just never seems to be a good thing when playing golf.

• Upvote 2

- Shane

Shot an 81 last week myself. It was a personal best but it was also from the forward tees (senior, not ladies) at about 5600 yards. 

Full swing and driving are looking pretty good. Somehow that changed my short game some. Putting is back to terrible. So sad.

I don't know if I'll be able to break 80 anytime soon with the weather turning and the grass dying, leaves falling, etc. But I can hope. 

If I could just convert 10% of my GIR to birdies I could have a very good chance. But my conversion rate is so dismal.

• Upvote 2

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• Administrator

Generally speaking, to break 80, you have to hit about 8 greens per round and hit about 14 nGIR.

• 8 GIR = perhaps -1 or -2.
  • 6 nGIR = about +4.
  • 4 non-nGIR = +5 or so.

That's 79 or 80 on a par 72.

So, as always, look at your ballstriking first. Is it getting you 14 GIR+nGIR?

• Upvote 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just finished up my second real season of golf and although I broke 80 twice this year, I wouldn't say that is the norm.  Have been floating in the 82-85 range, and really hoping with some good off season work in the garage, I can come out next year striking the ball better than ever.  

I am glad to see a Breaking 80 forum get going.

Kevin

• Upvote 1

Two years ago I broke 80 for the first time. Before I broke 80, I had more than a handfull opportunities only needing a bogey on 18 but could not deliver. The day I broke it, a double was enough and made an up-and-down double. 

So first you need to be good enough to brake 80, then you need to be tough enough. What they say about the mental aspect is: keep in the process of hitting one shot after an other. Do not think about what is needed for the last (couple of) hole(s).

• Upvote 2

My goal for the past year has been to break 80 for the first time in my life.  I'm consistently in the mid to low 80s lately.   My last 2 rounds were 83 and 82.  

My driving is great.  I'm really banging the ball out there consistently, 220 to 250.   My approach shots- not as good.   My chipping- terrible.   My putting- okay.  

I average one birdie per round, and not many double bogeys.  But if I miss a green, it usually results in a bogey.   So for me, the path is to work on irons and my chipping and pitching.  It's like @iacas said, I have to hit more greens in regulation. 

It seems like I'm coming so close lately.  Last time I played, I was 2 over through 8 holes, and the time before that I had 39 on the front side.  

The great thing for me is, I live in Jacksonville, so the weather is just starting to cool off here.  My golf season is just starting. 

• Upvote 2

For me I need 10-11 pars in a round. In my game, I don't see that many birdy opportunities.

Last seasn I broke 80,  15% of the time, and most of those were on my home course, where I am very familiar with the geens. I putted real well for those 78s, and 79s. 

One thing I have told low 80 players wanting to break that number, is that you can always save a stoke some where.  By that I mean if you shoot an 83, there is room in your game for an 82. 82/81, 81/80, 80/79, and so on.

Getting depressed over missing a 79 by one or two strokes, is a big waste. Shooting an 80, or 81 is still playing some damn fine golf. 

• Upvote 3

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Oddly I'm averaging about 8-10 GIR already (sometimes more) with several nGIR. My biggest muff up is penalties and terrible putts. Losing two strokes to a bad bounce or a bad tee shot really freaking hurts. And when I'm nGIR and hit a bad putt distance control it's like losing a whole stroke in my mind. I do it far too often.

I don't think I'll break 80 this winter. That doesn't upset me, it's just tougher golf when playing out of the tougher lies. Hopefully I can work on some stuff in the garage and come out swinging in the spring. I'm certain I'll break 80 next spring/summer.

• Upvote 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Having just broke 90 for the first time recently this is my next challenge.

My game is a bit different to what a lot of you are suggesting, my short game is really hot as I spend the majority of my time practicing it. 

I fail to hit many GiRs but I do get up and down quite often from being short of the green.

I have really been struggling with my driver and 3 wood, to the point of stopping using them. Often I am using my hybrid twice on long par 4s and par 5s, which is roughly 200 yards a hit. Lacking distance has killed my scoring and I am looking forward to having a lesson this week to address it. 

The 88 I scored when I broke 90 I didn't hit a driver or 3 wood the entire round.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Shark9 said:

Having just broke 90 for the first time recently this is my next challenge.

Better to challenge 85 first? Its a long way (for most of us) from braking 90 to braking 80.

Today I was +4 after 14. Didn't brake 80.

Edited by MacDutch
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Better to challenge 85 first? Its a long way (for most of us) from braking 90 to braking 80.

Today I was +4 after 14. Didn't brake 80.

Maybe you are right but don't think I would have much satisfaction from breaking 85.

I managed to break it this year for the first time. I knew I was going round well but I'd never check my score!  Stay in the current shot mode, play smart, hit it and move on.

• Upvote 1

Personally I found that once my consistency in long game got better, breaking 80 became a lot easier. 

I still have doubles here and there, but they don't affect my overall score of breaking 80. 

I generally have 8-14 pars and one or two birdies to offset some of the doubles that always seem to creep in. 

Bittom line-when my long game is working, more likely than not I will break 80. 

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Good thread here and my goal of breaking 90 this season worked good with 6 rounds in a row below that.  85 was my best and will be a starting point as I work down to breaking 80.  You have to have the whole game working to be shooting good.  I think the biggest issue, having done it myself and read it many times, is looking to see what you have to score on the last hole or holes and it seems like that's where we all blow up.  I never look at the card till we are done but two of my friends like to bring up what is needed and I always say I don't want to know!

Good luck to all with this task and I am jealous of all you Florida golfers!  You get to keep posting scores while we all look at the frozen ground and snow!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Note: This thread is 1625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!