IGNORED

Breaking 80 Thread

Hazsa
Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Piz said:

The first time I broke 80 I started off with a double bogey on the first hole: missed the green, chipped on and back off, chipped on again, you know the drill.  Played the remaining 17 in plus 3.  We were a threesome and one guy had never played before.  After the round the guy who I'd been playing with regularly said..."You were so busy trying to set a good example...you forgot to hit bad shots."  

I hope you told him that no, you just got them all out of your system at the beginning.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, lastings said:

The gods and I have been chatting quite a bit, lately.  They tell me they’ve got my back, but they won’t do it all for me. Just gotta focus and hit my shots. 

I'll check back on Monday but hope you are right... 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Not exactly, @Shindig, I think what happened is that I didn't get bent out of shape just because I put myself in a bad spot right from the get go.  I was more concerned that a new player understand that the game is "not about perfect" than I was about my score.  It was a good, if unintentional, lesson for me: that it doesn't matter if one shot goes horribly wrong...we have a long way to go here.  And that you are going to have a score, at the end of the round, no matter how you think about it.  I do get what you are saying and it is a point.  We always think of the correct thing to say after the moment has passed.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 7/12/2018 at 3:17 PM, lastings said:

I don't know why, but I have a feeling this is the weekend.    everything is just working right now...  and my chipping/pitching, while not by any means good, is not a complete disaster.  

just need to make a few putts.  

Well..  shot an 82.  But, I am right on the cusp of doing this thing.  I bladed two chips over the green.  2 putts to get down on 1, 3 putts to get down on the other.   Also had an atrocious 3 putt after putting an 8-iron 10 ft from the pin.  It’s there.  It’s f***ing there. Just gotta clean some little things up.

However, played from the tips at a pretty tough course.    6,809 yds - 74.4/150.  

This is happening this summer.  This. Is. Definitely. Happening. 

D7581403-85D8-41D5-8EE9-7408DE9D76DF.png

Also, 0 double bogeys.  Which was tight.

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 7/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, lastings said:

Well..  shot an 82.  But, I am right on the cusp of doing this thing.  I bladed two chips over the green.  2 putts to get down on 1, 3 putts to get down on the other.   Also had an atrocious 3 putt after putting an 8-iron 10 ft from the pin.  It’s there.  It’s f***ing there. Just gotta clean some little things up.

However, played from the tips at a pretty tough course.    6,809 yds - 74.4/150.  

This is happening this summer.  This. Is. Definitely. Happening. 

D7581403-85D8-41D5-8EE9-7408DE9D76DF.png

Also, 0 double bogeys.  Which was tight.

Congrats!  Couple more bogeys into pars and you'll be there!  I know it's tough to compare, but if you played a course rated at 74.4 and shot 82, that's a differential of 7.6.  On a course rated at 71.4, you would've shot a 79 is the way that I look at it!:-P

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

1 hour ago, amished said:

Congrats!  Couple more bogeys into pars and you'll be there!  I know it's tough to compare, but if you played a course rated at 74.4 and shot 82, that's a differential of 7.6.  On a course rated at 71.4, you would've shot a 79 is the way that I look at it!:-P

Thanks!  I know I'd like to be able to justify the 82 and say, That's a 79 on an easier course!   but, I can't.   the scorecard says what it says.   Also, I don't think it was the distance or the course difficulty that held me back.   I just need to be a little bit sharper.   I missed the green from 100-110 yards out with a sand wedge on 2 separate occasions, not to mention the 2 bladed chips i mentioned earlier.   If I can clean up those little things, it's definitely within reach.   

check out my swing here

1 hour ago, lastings said:

I missed the green from 100-110 yards out with a sand wedge on 2 separate occasions, not to mention the 2 bladed chips i mentioned earlier.   If I can clean up those little things, it's definitely within reach.   

I know if I'm 100-110 yards out and hit sand wedge, I'll miss the green close to 100% of the time.

I agree with the cleaning up part;  I have a few shots I want to clean up to get better chances at sub-80.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 2 weeks later...

And just like that, BOOM!  

Bluff Creek Golf Course - par 72, 72.0/126.

shot 78!  

6E7F4B5E-5496-4732-BB46-AFC636A517D3.thumb.png.5b32a9390d41e1ad199633a13ef17c1b.png2C717D5A-930E-4E52-BF23-FBA44A6B66F3.thumb.png.42d5d227bfb8ce9867f93d930dc4719d.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

check out my swing here

I'd say the art to breaking 80 and doing it consistently means playing "boring golf".  I just played with an older fella, likely early 60's, who wiped the floor with me and shot 76.  He literally just hit every drive 240 right down the middle, hit middle of the greens and made two putts.  His bogeys came on the longer holes where he played 450 yard 4 as a realistic 5.  

I hit better shots than him, was longer, had more spin, held more pins, but its those 4 or 5 errant drives that just sink the ship.

The concept of breaking 80 has stressed me out a ton because in my early and mid 20's, being single and having more time for the game, I found myself breaking 80 consistently.  Unfortunately I took a few years off due to a hand injury and now that I am playing 100% again I am always reminding myself of the "good old days" and its brutal on the psyche.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

2 hours ago, DDBowdoin said:

I'd say the art to breaking 80 and doing it consistently means playing "boring golf".  I just played with an older fella, likely early 60's, who wiped the floor with me and shot 76.  He literally just hit every drive 240 right down the middle, hit middle of the greens and made two putts.  His bogeys came on the longer holes where he played 450 yard 4 as a realistic 5.  

I hit better shots than him, was longer, had more spin, held more pins, but its those 4 or 5 errant drives that just sink the ship.

The concept of breaking 80 has stressed me out a ton because in my early and mid 20's, being single and having more time for the game, I found myself breaking 80 consistently.  Unfortunately I took a few years off due to a hand injury and now that I am playing 100% again I am always reminding myself of the "good old days" and its brutal on the psyche.

I love a boring round! Since breaking 80 in December I have been treated to three more boring rounds in the 70s.

8 hours ago, upndown21 said:

I love a boring round! Since breaking 80 in December I have been treated to three more boring rounds in the 70s.

I wish every round was boring!

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• 1 year later...

I see this thread is a year old, but I have to post. I used to break 80 probably 25% of the time. Two and a half years ago I had some injuries and actually struggled to break 90 for quite awhile. I thought since I was approaching 70 years old that was how it was going to be going forward. However, my injuries got better and with the help of a young teaching pro and a strict regime of practice my game has been improving. Yesterday was a red letter day in that I shot 79 for the first time in two years. Being realistic I know this won't happen every round, but at least I now know it's still possible.

Edited by Hoganman1
  • Like 1

Now that it is my silly season, an idea has come to mind. 

In an effort to break 80 for the first time, I'm going to try to play our area's shortest regulation course, Community GC Dales, often. At under 5,000 yards from the whites, I should be able to hit irons off the tee and have little problem getting up to the green. 

It's been a crappy year, but if the swing gets just a little less worse and the putting is there, I just might have a chance.

17 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Could be a plan. But would that be fun?

For a hack like me, breaking 80 would be fun under any circumstance.

Then, considering the awful year I've had ...

- Not losing a ball due to the rotten 1W every three holes sounds like fun

- Hitting more than 20% of my 2nd shots out of the fairway sounds like fun

- Not having to worry about caving in somebody's head one hole over sounds like fun.

Of course, it's not the way to go in the long run, but my season is finished anyway. So I sort of feeling like goofing around.

I'm liking the plan the more I think about it. May give it a go this weekend.

Edited by mcanadiens
Add line

Don't remember the first time I broke 80 since it was over 10 years ago when I stopped playing, but since I started playing again this past June I broke 80 on 8/4/19 with a 78. It felt good but now it's time to buckle down and really dig into some specifics about my game/swing to get better.

:titleist:

:tmade:

On 7/29/2018 at 8:04 AM, lastings said:

And just like that, BOOM!  

Bluff Creek Golf Course - par 72, 72.0/126.

shot 78!  

6E7F4B5E-5496-4732-BB46-AFC636A517D3.thumb.png.5b32a9390d41e1ad199633a13ef17c1b.png2C717D5A-930E-4E52-BF23-FBA44A6B66F3.thumb.png.42d5d227bfb8ce9867f93d930dc4719d.png

Your an 8. Don't you do that all the time? 🤷‍♀️

20 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Your an 8. Don't you do that all the time? 🤷‍♀️

Unless my math is wrong, that's a 5.4 differential. Great round! :banana:

An 8.0 index means the average of the 10 best rounds (out of 20) is an 8.3 differential (counting for the 0.96 multiplier), meaning the golfer achieves that 8.3 differential 5 times out of 20 on average. As you see, 8.3 is 3 strokes higher than 5.4, so no, as much as he would like to, @lastings doesn't do that all the time! :beer:

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!