Sign in to follow this  
Lagavulin62

Wishon Club Length Recommendations

Note: This thread is 1040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 posts / 1906 viewsLast Reply

I read on his 12 Myths book he recommends a certain 5 iron length based on wrist to floor measurements. I know there are other consideration with that formula but the question is which 5 iron is he talking about? The current 27 degree club, or the older 30 degree club? These club fitting suggestions really need to stop referring to clubs by number and start using loft designations.  I don't know what they teach these fitters at the stores but I asked several and they are all clueless. What a joke. Hoping for dome clarification. Based on my length comparisons I'm guessing they are using the 27 degree club? 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

6 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

I read on his 12 Myths book he recommends a certain 5 iron length based on wrist to floor measurements. I know there are other consideration with that formula but the question is which 5 iron is he talking about? The current 27 degree club, or the older 30 degree club? These club fitting suggestions really need to stop referring to clubs by number and start using loft designations.  I don't know what they teach these fitters at the stores but I asked several and they are all clueless. What a joke. Hoping for dome clarification. Based on my length comparisons I'm guessing they are using the 27 degree club? 

you could always just ask him. He is pretty good about fielding questions.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wishon often talks about the 24-38 rule: he suggests that the average golfer cannot hit an iron which is less than 24° in loft or more than 38 inches long.

The  24° club could be a 4i from a couple of years back, or a 5i today.

On 11/4/2016 at 7:04 PM, WUTiger said:

Wishon often talks about the 24-38 rule: he suggests that the average golfer cannot hit an iron which is less than 24° in loft or more than 38 inches long.

The  24° club could be a 4i from a couple of years back, or a 5i today.

Based on my results and others I regularly play with, I would agree that it is good advise.  

Edited by kenstl

I can not totally agree with Tom Wishon on this as I can usually manage the lower lofted irons (3 or 4) without much trouble, but then again I started out with them. On occasion I have used a 1 iron but don't feel as comfortable, nor is there much of a need.  Now that I've gotten better used to hybrids, I have removed the 3 iron and will admit,the hybrids and higher lofted fairway woods are markedly easier. My irons are several years old, but I am not positive as to the actual lofts.

I would however, agree with Tom, that the average golfer "today" might struggle with them.

It's just a general rule, not advice to stay away from those clubs. But the reason is because most golfers don't make the time or have the desire to learn to hit them. Well learning to hit them just means improving one's swing. They hit the same. 

I hit about 10 shots today with a one iron I recently purchased, the matching 1 iron to my WS FG-17's.  I have to replace the grip but just 10 shots and it feels great. A new grip and work and I will be fine. I enjoy the 2 iron.  Funny though because I have tried many one irons, a Lynx,Tommy Armour, and my last was a Titliest. With the exception of the Lynx(which was garbage and will be my experimental regrip club) all were similar clubs to my Staffs but of course just didn't have the feel.  It always felt like I was hitting air even when I knew I was hitting the sweet spot.  My theory is this. A lot of people never had a 1 iron and when they tried one it was an oddball club they picked up. The feel was so different from their set I believe it was a major reason they could never learn to hit it. 

I sent an email to Tom on his site. When I get a response I will post. Thanks to all the responses. 

Edited by Lagavulin62

Better ask Wishon quickly - he either retired or is retiring - sold his golf business and it will now be in the UK. I bet he will still field questions...

Thanks.  Yes I saw that on his site.  It would be nice to hear from him or a knowledgeable rep but I'm pretty sure it's all based on loft, otherwise I think it would change too much of what is known about loft and length. The manufactures have obsoleted the number designations. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Better ask Wishon quickly - he either retired or is retiring - sold his golf business and it will now be in the UK. I bet he will still field questions...

now THAT I did not know!  He recently had been talking about some new models IIRC. I hope the quality remains consistent. I am still thinking about a purchase at a Wishon recommended fitter and do not know how many heads he may have in stock. 

Edited by Hacker James

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

now THAT I did not know!  He recently had been talking about some new models IIRC. I hope the quality remains consistent. I am still thinking about a purchase at a Wishon recommended fitter and do not know how many heads he may have in stock. 

Get them soon -- his stock is moving to the UK although he has cut a deal with them to save a bit on shipping for US customers.

Just wanted to share I heard back from Tom and in a nutshell the club length and loft have no bearing on each other. So the 5 iron recommendation is just that, whether that 5 iron is 30 or 27 degrees. 

Note: This thread is 1040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!