IGNORED

Shriners Hospitals for Children Open

Natural Patrick
Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

No one said that being on tour wasn't a big deal...you were asserting that they all are big names...which isn't so

I listed 10 names that played in this tournament, According to Erik, none of them are considered Big names by Non golf fans. Passionate golf fans don't count, what do they know?

10 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

I listed 10 names that played in this tournament, According to Erik, none of them are considered Big names by Non golf fans. 

I'm not sure we're reading the same thread. I saw where @iacas explained why some names familiar to us are not necessarily considered big names, but I don't see where he said none of the names you listed were big names. 

I think his point was, and correct me if I'm wrong Erik, that in order for one's name to qualify as a big name, it should be known by non-golfers...wherein the passionate golf fan's knowledge is implicitly assumed and thereby irrelevant to the conversation. 

I'm headed to bed.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
5 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I'm not sure we're reading the same thread. I saw where @iacas explain why some names familiar to us are not necessarily considered big names, but I don't see where he said none of the names you listed were big names. 

I think his point was, and correct me if I'm wrong Erik, that in order for one's name to qualify as a big name, it should be known by non-golfers...wherein the passionate golf fan's knowledge is implicitly assumed and thereby irrelevant to the conversation.

Yeah, I did not see where Erik said any of the 10 names I listed. Would be considered a big name either. So I guess they are not.

Edited by Natural Patrick

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

How many Non golf fans participate in this site?

Speaking for myself, I am a fan of the game of golf, but not so much a fan of the pga tour. I use to be a follower of some of the players a few decades ago, but not so much now.

I saw some great golf shots while watching this tournament, but I could not tell you who hit them. That makes me a fan of great golf shots I suppose. 

The one player I remember seeing out there who stood out was Tommy "2 glove" Gainey. He wasn't even golfing. He was on the practice green, wearing only "1" glove.

No,  I think it's possible to be a fan of the game we all play, but not necessarily a fan of most of the pga players. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

Brooks Koepka, you Hardly hear anyone talk about him in todays PGA.:-D

Ernie Els, Davis Love, Vijay Singh.. Meh

Greame McDowell, Web Simpson,Ryan Moore,Jimmy Walker. I wonder what they have in common?

Billy Horschel Fed Ex cup is over rated.

If you have to ask what makes Keegan Bradley a name everyone knows. Then you must be newtogolf.

There are 10 players I just listed, and not a one of them a big name.:beer:

You list 10 players 

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I didn't talk about names in this tournament, just prior conversations with you about this.

Most people define a "big name" as someone that a non-golf fan would recognize or remembers hearing, or something close to that definition. Brooks Koepka doesn't meet that standard. Heck, many golfers don't even know who the guy is.

I never said Billy Horschel was "over-rated." I would say that he's not a big name, though. Non-golf fans don't know that he won the FedExCup.

Ryan Moore? You could show a bunch of non-golf fans this picture of him and tell them his name and ask them what his job is and they wouldn't know.

ryan-moore.jpg

I know who Ryan Moore is. I know about his amateur career, and his injuries, his successes on the PGA Tour, his history of sponsors (or going sponsor-less), and I talk to his brothers somewhat regularly. I even saw at least one episode of "Inside the PGA Tour" he hosted. But he's not a "big name."

Of the 10 players you list, @iacas mentions why 3 of them may not be considered to be Big names with actual reasons defending his position

5 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

I listed 10 names that played in this tournament, According to Erik, none of them are considered Big names by Non golf fans. Passionate golf fans don't count, what do they know?

In order for you to accurately say that Erik to said None of them are big names, he would have needed to address all 10 names and why they weren't Big names. By only mentioning 3 of the ten, you can't say the Erik said "none" of them were big names. Secondly, you did not give any reasons why you felt @iacas's position was incorrect, only sarcasm

5 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I'm not sure we're reading the same thread. I saw where @iacas explained why some names familiar to us are not necessarily considered big names, but I don't see where he said none of the names you listed were big names. 

Yep

5 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

Yeah, I did not see where Erik said any of the 10 names I listed. Would be considered a big name either. So I guess they are not.

Now you change your wording/grammar to reflect what you really meant the first time. And in your sarcasm, you still fail to articulately defend your point.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

In my book the 10 mentioned are big names only for big golffans. There are a lot golfers who are not big golffans...

If a big name is defined by 'most people on the street' know who they are, none of the 10 are big names. To be honest, I think the majority of people on the street only know Tiger, maybe Rory too.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

In my book the 10 mentioned are big names only for big golffans. There are a lot golfers who are not big golffans...

If a big name is defined by 'most people on the street' know who they are, none of the 10 are big names. To be honest, I think the majority of people on the street only know Tiger, maybe Rory too.

Agreed

-Jonny

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Exactly, Koepka, Bradley, Horshel and Moore are not household names, and likely unknown to most casual golf fans.  They are not the "A Listers" of the PGA Tour, except for their friends and family few will be tuning in to watch those individuals in a golf tournament, but I'm glad @Natural Patrick enjoyed the tournament.  

Joe Paradiso

On 6.11.2016 at 5:07 AM, Natural Patrick said:

Great to see Russell Henley go low in the 3rd round with a 64.

He was actually 63. And in final round- what a lovely surprise - 72. Nine shots more than day before. Extremely professional. Basically he just allowed big chance to slip away. And he allowed it in completely hopeless manner. I guess that after his 63 he began to celebrate, had fun withe girls, used some "recreational substances" , had only 4 hours of drunken sleep. Maybe the guy has some serious problem with himself and his addictions because his game is worse every single year.

Edited by ciool
correction

6 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Exactly, Koepka, Bradley, Horshel and Moore are not household names, and likely unknown to most casual golf fans.  They are not the "A Listers" of the PGA Tour, except for their friends and family few will be tuning in to watch those individuals in a golf tournament, but I'm glad @Natural Patrick enjoyed the tournament.  

Thanks newtogolf. I thought it was a pretty decent tournement for the most part. Really enjoyed watching Perez and Henley.

Heck, I am still fawning over the likes of  Kite,  Wargo,  Watson, Couples, Miller, January, Lehman, Casper and a few dozen others.  Who are all these other Johnny come latelys? 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

6 hours ago, ciool said:

He was actually 63. And in final round- what a lovely surprise - 72. Nine shots more than day before. Extremely professional. Basically he just allowed big chance to slip away. And he allowed it in completely hopeless manner. I guess that after his 63 he began to celebrate, had fun withe girls, used some "recreational substances" , had only 4 hours of drunken sleep. Maybe the guy has some serious problem with himself and his addictions because his game is worse every single year.

I'm sure you will provide us some proof of the things you just said? Otherwise all I can do is laugh at you.

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

What are the odds of the 10 million people that play golf make it to the PGA tour? Not that Big of deal really in the small scheme of things.;-)

I addressed this already. A few times. Once in this thread, even.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Your confusion seems to come from the fact that you can't seem to differentiate between "good talents" (i.e. they play on the PGA Tour) from "big names on the PGA Tour."

Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler even… big names.

Rod Pampling, Kyle Stanley, Aaron Wise… big talents. Not big names.

Big talents, not big names. Most golfers don't even know those guys. Most golfers won't remember that Kyle Stanley melted down at Torrey Pines on the 72nd hole and then won the next week. I do, even though I barely follow the Tour on TV anymore, but he's still not a "big name" in golf.

My post with the Ryan Moore photo had more of the explanation, but you keep misunderstanding and/or putting words in my mouth.

Wrong. I only mentioned three of them, and of course passionate golf fans don't count - I know a bit about Kyle Stanley, but my wife couldn't pick him out of a lineup or tell you what he does for a living without a ton of hints.

17 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Pretty much.

"Patrick" has always gotten their talent level confused with whether they're a "big name." By his criteria, essentially, everyone on the PGA Tour is a "big name" because there are only about 150 of them.

In reality, there may be only about five to fifteen "big names" in golf. Maybe twenty or twenty five if you include older players like Nicklaus and such. Not even sure Gary Player qualifies these days.

I didn't say that.

7 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Exactly, Koepka, Bradley, Horshel and Moore are not household names, and likely unknown to most casual golf fans.  They are not the "A Listers" of the PGA Tour, except for their friends and family few will be tuning in to watch those individuals in a golf tournament…

You can be a "big name" without winning much, too, as Rickie Fowler has demonstrated. He has name recognition.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

You can be a "big name" without winning much, too, as Rickie Fowler has demonstrated. He has name recognition.

By A-Lister I meant popular more so than successful.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

By A-Lister I meant popular more so than successful.  

I agree, which is why I said what I said and used Rickie as an example (he was popular before he won much of anything). :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!