IGNORED

Got a GoPro Karma Drone

iacas
Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I got the Karma drone the other day, with the Hero 5 Black. I'm actually somewhat more interested in the handheld steadi-cam thing than the drone.

Battery life is lousy, and replacement batteries cost $99. As GoPro sent me the drone, I'll probably pick up a spare battery or two, but man…

The footage is incredible, though. I'll probably fly it for the first time tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have really been debating on buying a drone lately. I am looking at the racing drones with goggles though. I haven't bit the bullet yet, but it's just a matter of time...haha.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Can you get an overhead of your students' swings?

Interesting, and amusing in a way...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't dare buy a drone. My grandson would surely confiscate it. He has been interested in anything aviation since he was 18 months old! I am thinking of getting him a thing I saw on TV that allows ocean surveillance to about 300 feet. It's interactive and you monitor with a laptop. Not all that expensive for what it is. I believe starting at around $800.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Can you get an overhead of your students' swings?

Interesting, and amusing in a way...

Maybe, eventually. Not at first since we're going to be indoors here very soon for a few months.

I took it out today and flew it. Just around a baseball field near my wife's school. Not over anyone's heads (disallowed) or anything like that. Just to get used to it.

Footage later on.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I got the Karma drone the other day, with the Hero 5 Black. I'm actually somewhat more interested in the handheld steadi-cam thing than the drone.

Battery life is lousy, and replacement batteries cost $99. As GoPro sent me the drone, I'll probably pick up a spare battery or two, but man…

The footage is incredible, though. I'll probably fly it for the first time tomorrow.

Nice! I am excited to see the footage.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

It's on my Christmas list, the compactness and travel case makes it much more desirable than other drones.  Is there any advantage or having a Hero 5 for it versus a Hero 4 Black?

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
3 hours ago, cipher said:

Nice! I am excited to see the footage.  

My footage is just me near the school getting used to the controls. I meant above by "the footage" just what you can do with it. And the hand-held gimbal thing.

11 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It's on my Christmas list, the compactness and travel case makes it much more desirable than other drones.  Is there any advantage or having a Hero 5 for it versus a Hero 4 Black?

Waterproofing, touchscreen, GPS, stabilizing…

http://www.valuewalk.com/2016/09/gopro-hero-5-vs-hero-4-2/

2 hours ago, iacas said:

My footage is just me near the school getting used to the controls. I meant above by "the footage" just what you can do with it. And the hand-held gimbal thing.

Waterproofing, touchscreen, GPS, stabilizing…

http://www.valuewalk.com/2016/09/gopro-hero-5-vs-hero-4-2/

Will the Hero 4 in waterproof housing fit in the Stabilizer bar?  Might have to upgrade to the 5 if stabilization is an issue

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
15 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Will the Hero 4 in waterproof housing fit in the Stabilizer bar?  Might have to upgrade to the 5 if stabilization is an issue

I don't know. The… handheld gimbal thing? The housing isn't too big, I don't think, but the harnesses are not built for that, I don't think.

I love that the Hero 5 is waterproof. Dave and I got a Moka Cam a few months back from Kickstarter or Indiegogo and it too is waterproof. Kinda similar. I may sell my Moka Cam now, though, and my GoPro Hero 3 with some accessories.

It'll take awhile to upload.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

That's great how easy is it to control?  

Incredibly.

I keep forgetting to look at the screen, though, so I don't know what I was capturing half the time. :-)

Next time out I'm going to try "Medium" or "Linear" FOV. Wide is a bit too wide and causes that bubble effect.

• Administrator

Well, I got it, and now I don't got it…

https://gopro.com/2016karmareturn

Full refunds, and I must send everything back, and they're not exchanging at all.

W

T

F?

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Well, I got it, and now I don't got it…

https://gopro.com/2016karmareturn

Full refunds, and I must send everything back, and they're not exchanging at all.

W

T

F?

Sounds like Karma's were dropping out of the skies for no reason, huge liability issue.  There goes their stock price.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Sounds like Karma's were dropping out of the skies for no reason, huge liability issue.  There goes their stock price.  

Yeah, I'm curious how many. They said a few. But that's enough (for safety reasons) out of 2500, and so probably barely more than 2500 flights, to recall.

On November 8, 2016 at 6:21 PM, iacas said:

Incredibly

Yeah, I was impressed at how steady it was. We got my son a little $80 Toys r Us drone it was rediculous trying to control thing. Yours looked like a Bentley in comparison

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I hope they get this fixed and back out in time for Santa to deliver it by Christmas.  I watched a few reviews and it seems the Karma pairing with the GoPro camera makes it superior over the competition due to superior image quality even though the drone itself is slower and has a shorter batter life.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!