IGNORED

Do you pick up a club someone has left behind?

CCC
Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 11/9/2016 at 10:23 PM, David in FL said:

If I find a club, I pick it up.  At least half the time I eventually run into the owner working his way back to look for it.  Failing that, I turn it into the clubhouse.

this too, for pretty much anything, covers, repair tools, anything - not just clubs

seems obvious to me

but I even pick up trash and take it to the next trash can - I probably just have some kind of OCD

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

My daughter dropped her headcover by the first tee yesterday. Eight holes later when she realized it was gone we were wondering if we'd have to track someone down who teed off behind us.

Nope. Despite about 12 golfers playing after us… it was sitting in the middle of the cart path by the first tee. :-P That's both good and a little odd.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I tend to pick up items to either wait and see if someone drives back or I'll just turn it in to the clubhouse. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 9 months later...

18th hole yesterday, someone left all three of their vokey wedges. No one ever came down asking about missing clubs... How do you not notice 3 wedges missing?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I've found people are pretty good about finding your lost items and sometimes even drive up to where you are (if in the tee in front of them) to return them. Once I left three head covers in my cart which was turned into the cart barn. I went back the next day and they were not there. The odd thing about that was, one of the covers which had a hole in it, was located in the pro shop office, but not the other two. I would not like to think that the  cart barn attendant turned in the damaged cover, but kept the other two, but who knows?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Funny this thread has been bumped. I was the first one out this morning and found a sand wedge just laying on the fairway. It was an old club with a ripped up grip. I turned it into the clubhouse after my round, but did try it out on a couple of bunker shots. Right now, I carry just 45°, 50° and 60° wedges. It got me out of the sand pretty easily. Looks like I'll need to invest in a good 52° sand wedge.

Jon

Generally, no. I usually put it in a prominent location if it's not right by the green already. The reason is usually two holes up they notice it, which is usually a wedge, missing and go back for it.

This way they could have it for the remainder of the round, if/when they notice it missing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I always pick them up. At least that way there is no chance of someone picking it up and keeping it.

52 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I usually put it in a prominent location if it's not right by the green already. The reason is usually two holes up they notice it, which is usually a wedge, missing and go back for it.

Yeah, but they usually drive by you to do so. And, honestly, there is a pretty good chance that the group behind you just picks it up anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

- John

10 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I always pick them up. At least that way there is no chance of someone picking it up and keeping it.

I do, too, for the exact same reason. Plus you can't assume they know exactly what hole they left it on and it saves them extra backpedaling.

I dropped my putter headcover once during a solo round and didn't even realize it, so I had no idea what hole it happened on. It's kind of amazing when I think about it because I walk so I'm removing and replacing my headcover every hole. Apparently I was just playing and never gave it a thought that I didn't need to take my headcover off anymore. When I finished my round, I went to the pro shop and the ranger drove me around the course backwards until we found it; a group had picked it up just off the 12th green and we caught up with them on the 13th tee. I don't remember how many groups we passed, but I was kind of surprised it sat greenside for almost an hour and nobody else thought to pick it up. It might have saved us some legwork if they did.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

Yeah, but they usually drive by you to do so. And, honestly, there is a pretty good chance that the group behind you just picks it up anyway.

Good point about someone else picking it up and possibly keeping it.

Usually, people come by and ask me if I saw a club, and my response is generally yes it's on so and so hole. Then they pretty much know someone behind me took it if they don't find it where I stated.

Then again, I've never golfed at a place where people keep someone else's club though.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

33 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Then again, I've never golfed at a place where people keep someone else's club though

Yes, you have. Unless you've played all of your golf on another planet. :-P

- John

3 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Funny this thread has been bumped. I was the first one out this morning and found a sand wedge just laying on the fairway. It was an old club with a ripped up grip. I turned it into the clubhouse after my round, but did try it out on a couple of bunker shots. Right now, I carry just 45°, 50° and 60° wedges. It got me out of the sand pretty easily. Looks like I'll need to invest in a good 52° sand wedge.

Jon,

We found a sand wedge when we played last week.   I don't believe the guy would have noticed it was missing if we hadn't asked.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Jon,

We found a sand wedge when we played last week.   I don't believe the guy would have noticed it was missing if we hadn't asked.   

I'd forgotten all about that. It was the group right in front of us, right?

• Like 1

Jon

On 11/9/2016 at 11:23 PM, David in FL said:

If I find a club, I pick it up.  At least half the time I eventually run into the owner working his way back to look for it.  Failing that, I turn it into the clubhouse.

This.

Also, if play is slow or there is an opportunity, I'll drive up to the group in front and ask them.

I found an iPhone on a tee a few weeks ago, lol. 

"Witty golf quote."

On 11/9/2016 at 8:23 PM, David in FL said:

I do the above as well.

2 hours ago, Aguirre said:

I've lost my phone/sunglasses several times on the course.  Each time the goodness of strangers allowed me to pick them up at the clubhouse after they were turned in.

2 hours ago, Aguirre said:

This.

Also, if play is slow or there is an opportunity, I'll drive up to the group in front and ask them.

Exactly, more often than not it belongs to them.  Done that a number of times.

Do not rely on the goodness of others. If you are an honest person, pick it up and either return it when they come looking, or bring it to the clubhouse.

There are scumbag golfers just like there are scumbags in the general population.

Colin P.

Always - someone looking for it will work backwards and eventually get to me.

IMO - leaving it there is kind of a dick move

The biggest thing I forget is my range finder (On holes where you walk to the tee and take a couple clubs.  I've yet to have anyone pick it up and bring it forward - I've always driven back.  But I usually notice by the next hole or 2)

On 11/11/2016 at 1:19 AM, Kalnoky said:

I know people hunt for balls, what's to keep them from keeping a club?

One wonders how on earth a person even makes this equivalency at all.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!