IGNORED

Do you pick up a club someone has left behind?

CCC
Note: This thread is 2402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, todgot said:

The only thing I don't pick up on a golf course is a ball

Thank you @todgot for being the ONE person in America that has not picked up my golf ball.  My wallet appreciates you :-)

I pick up clubs, headcovers, just about everything as I would appreciate it if the same were done for me. 

Now golf balls, as the rule states, only when they have stopped rolling are they lost :-)  seriously I rarely pick up a golf ball. Only when I know for certain it has been considered a lost ball and even then 90% of the time I leave it for someone else.  It can be so frustrating to hit a ball into the wrong fairway and to only see the oncoming foursome and no ball in sight. I would hate to do that to another person.

The gear I pick up I try to catch the other group in front or turn it into lost and found.  So far this year I have been able to find the owner of the lost gear while still playing

Edited by djake
finished a thought

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, djake said:

Thank you @todgot for being the ONE person in America that has not picked up my golf ball.  My wallet appreciates you :-)

My son tells me never to pick up any balls. For the most part, I listen to him. However, if we're the only people out there within a 400 yard radius, I consider it fair game, but alas, when playing with him "Don't pick up any balls, ever."

Now golf balls, as the rule states, only when they have stopped rolling are they lost :-)

That's what I thought! Thanks for giving me some confirmation that it's okay!

Just kidding. . .:-D

The gear I pick up I try to catch the other group in front or turn it into lost and found.  So far this year I have been able to find the owner of the lost gear while still playing

I'm sure they appreciate that. It's always nice to have someone deliver your club back to you. :-)

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, mcanadiens said:

Easy for him to say. Some of us need all the help we can get.

Oh, you mean hit the ball and not pick up the ball. I suppose that's okay. :-D

One of my son's teammates picked up a club around the green and chipped into the hole during a tournament. When he went to replace the club he found that it wasn't his and he broke the rules playing a 15th club. . .Ouch! His team still won though. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have to admit... I'm a scatter brain and now that I have game golf I may be even more so.  Hardly a round goes by where I don't leave something on the course.  This last week I lost 2 head covers and found them both in the lost and found.  I play at a private club so when I noticed I was missing the head cover I didn't sweat it... I knew it would be turned in.  One of them was my Scotty Cameron head cover and I was a little worried about it but it did make it's way to the cart barn.  I was shocked how many abandoned stuff there was in the lost and found... some pretty nice rain gear and a ton of head covers.  They say at the end of the year it all gets donated so if I see a head cover that fits... be our guest.  

I did have an incident in Ohio when I was living there.  Playing at Fowler's Mill one day by myself and I would play 2 or 3 balls and practice around the green.  There was one guy in a cart behind me and I wasn't in the mood to make a new friend so I just stayed ahead of him.  On the 6th hole tee box the guy cuts across the course in front of me in the direction of the 7th tee and I figured he just wanted to skip in front of me...  mind you I was not holding him up at all.  Then a bit later I go to use my Cleveland copper beryllium sand wedge and its not in my bag... I left it at the 5th green.   I'm in a cart so I motor on over there and it's gone.  The dude just took my wedge and booked.  I figure he's in a cart so the club house would know who he was so I didn't chase after him.  I made the turn and inquired about the dude in the cart and they denied knowing who it was... I suppose you just let anyone take a cart without showing any ID?  or paying?  Today, I would've been much more aggressive because I'm sure they knew the dude and he probably worked there... but I left without my club.  But they took my info in case it turned up.  So, never assume the person after you will be honest... pick the club up and leave it in the club house if you have to. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

39 minutes ago, todgot said:

I have to admit... I'm a scatter brain and now that I have game golf I may be even more so.  Hardly a round goes by where I don't leave something on the course.  This last week I lost 2 head covers and found them both in the lost and found.  I play at a private club so when I noticed I was missing the head cover I didn't sweat it... I knew it would be turned in.  One of them was my Scotty Cameron head cover and I was a little worried about it but it did make it's way to the cart barn.  I was shocked how many abandoned stuff there was in the lost and found... some pretty nice rain gear and a ton of head covers.  They say at the end of the year it all gets donated so if I see a head cover that fits... be our guest.

I'm also surprised at all the headcovers, clubs and misc at our local club lost & found that are never reclaimed, though most of it is not "nice" stuff. At the start of the season there were two barrels full of clubs in our lost & found, woods, irons & putters though mostly high lofted irons - presumably left greenside after an up and down.

Fortunately I've never lost anything of value, but then I start backtracking to the last place I had the item as soon as I realize something is missing, even if it means I lose my foursome. I usually find the item within a hole or two, and more often than not the group right behind us has it, so it's not missing long. I'd hate to lose a club, can't imagine...

Edited by Midpack

Three weeks ago, the last night of my Men's League this year, I found a putter head cover in the cart basket when I got it out of the cart barn.  The course had held a tournament the day before, and I assumed that it was from that, and that means a lot of players from as far as 50-100 miles away.  I could tell that this was a special cover, because it had the PGA Tour logo and "Waste Management Open" on it - obviously a souvenir from the Phoenix Tour stop.  I turned it in and didn't think anything more about it.  

My brother-in-law and I went to play last Sunday and when I went in the clubhouse to sign in, the manager came over and handed me a $10 bill.  She said that the guy who lost the head cover was excited to get it back and grateful for my honesty in turning it in.  He had driven down from Sidney, Nebraska (about 60 miles) to reclaim it.

Never had anything like that happen before.  

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

So, on the shorter home course, my partner and I picked up a club on the 8th hole yesterday. This was kind of contrary to the "consensus philosophy", but we picked it up. Then on the 14th hole, someone playing the 15th came back and wondered if we found a club. Sure enough, it was his club and he greatly appreciated getting it back. I learned two things. First one, picking up the club is not such a bad thing. Secondly, some golfers can play 7 holes without a PW?!?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Lihu said:

consensus philosophy

Where is leaving the club the consensus philosophy?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Where is leaving the club the consensus philosophy?

I meant at my club. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I would never leave a club behind.  I will take it and turn it in at the clubhouse, or on my home course I'll give it to the ranger and he will progress through the groups in front of us to find the owner.  During the club championship a couple of weeks ago I found a wedge lying next to the 1st green.  After we hit our tee shots on #2, I drove up to the nearest cart for the group ahead of us and gave it to them.  Since it was lying on the green fringe where most players walk off, there was no doubt that it belonged to that group, and he was likely to need it on #2, so I didn't want to delay in returning it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

32 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I meant at my club. . .

I think possibly the consensus philosophy shown here on this thread might be a better way.

Colin P.

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

I think possibly the consensus philosophy shown here on this thread might be a better way.

True. When I drive a cart, I'll definitely put it in my cart. Definitely not in my bag, because I know I would forget it the majority of the time! I could tie a yellow bandana around it, I suppose? :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Always. I returned a lot of clubs to their owners, and a lot of my clubs were returned to me.

Around the course there are poor people living, if you leave a club on the floor it wont take to long till it desapear.    

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

True. When I drive a cart, I'll definitely put it in my cart. Definitely not in my bag, because I know I would forget it the majority of the time! I could tie a yellow bandana around it, I suppose? :-D

:beer:

I've actually throwna club in the little basket behind the seat. That might work.

Colin P.

I've found several clubs and have turned them (as well as anything else found) in to the clubhouse if no one approaches and asks us first during the round. (we walk 18). 

We've also found head covers, towels, gloves, sunglasses, cell phone and the strangest of all... a  Excogear Ecoxbt blue tooth speaker. How they lost something that big on a fairway I have no idea but, we turned that in too. At the clubhouse we did have fun with it trying to ..1. figure out what it was and 2. how to make it work. That thing sounded real good. The owner picked it up the next day. 

About a week ago my playing partner found a $10.00 bill just off the 9th hole.. turned that in too.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

I went out late today (5pm) to get in a quick 9. I usually have the course to myself on late Saturday. On the third hole, I discover that my Vokey SM6 50 degree is missing.

I last played late Thursday afternoon. I was the last one out on the course that day.

So, this pretty much put me in a bad mood. After the next few holes, I finally remembered that I left it next to the fairway bunker on #9.

I just could not get this round over with soon enough. After putting out on #9, I hurried to the pro shop. And there it was behind the counter. I have a red Golf Pride midsize grip on my 50, 54 and 58 wedges. Easy to spot. :)

Thankfully, a good club member (picked it up) and turned it in for me. What a relief.

New rule - do a club check after every round from now on!

always turn found clubs in to the pro shop.  The Golden Rule applies here ... I left a Bushnell lazer in the cart once, and when I called someone turned it in.   If someone turns in a $400 rangefinder, seems least I can do is turn in a $150 wedge when I find them... kharma

• Like 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 2402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!