IGNORED

Do grips have an effect on swingweight?

Gapwedge
Note: This thread is 4747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking at ways to get my iron swing weight to D2-D4. Can certain grips increase or reduce the SW? I know club length can add. Any other ways?

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

Grips won't affect swing weight, lengthening your clubs will affect swing weight but this is not the way to do it, my advice is to go to a local club fitter/ your local club pro and ask them for advice, they will give you the best advice specifically for you.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Grips won't affect swing weight, lengthening your clubs will affect swing weight but this is not the way to do it, my advice is to go to a local club fitter/ your local club pro and ask them for advice, they will give you the best advice specifically for you.

I beg to disagree. Adding a mid-size or jumbo grip over a regular grip affects the swingweight by up to 3 points. However, the feel from swinging the club may be the same, the grip "fools" the swingweight and it does change. I put a Lamkin midsize grip replacing a regular grip on a PING i5 iron and it changed from C9 to C6. I found this article. http://www.horsepowergolf.com/VideoSwingWeight.asp

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

I am looking at ways to get my iron swing weight to D2-D4. Can certain grips increase or reduce the SW? I know club length can add. Any other ways?

Yes, grips can and will affect swingweight.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Grips DO add swingweight, just to confirm with you...

Sorry I don't know how much...

Driver: FT-3 NVS Stiff
Woods: X- 3 and 5 wood fujikura stiff
irons: X-Forged 4-PW - Flighted Project X 6.0
wedges: X-Tour (52/56/60)
putter: White Hot XG #1 ball: Pro V1/ Callaway HX Tour 56

Grips DO add swingweight, just to confirm with you...

Or they can lighten the swingweight. Put a heavier grip like a jumbo and you can change the SW by 3 points to the light side.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, standard grip weight 50 grams. Get a dual durometer lite (golf pride) grip which weighs only 39 grams. It will increase the SW by two points exactly what you need. Remember, the net effect is to decrease the total weight of the club by 11 grams and increase the ratio of the head weight to the grip, ie SW, by 2 Swingweights. This is clearly noticeable and should help your lag and swing tempo if they are issues.

Yes the grip can affect the swing weight but it realy is just foolin the scale. If you tape a penny on the end of a straw and then hold it by the other end of the straw the penny will feel pretty heavy. Now tape a quarter to the other end and the penny will not feel as heavy. Has the weight of the penny changed? that being said butt weighting can help (certin people swear by it) others say it is bull, but from what I have seen it does help certin people make more solid contact. If your trying to reduce overall weight I would sugest using a lighter shaft rahter then a ligther grip

Realy? Thanks I did not know it was a scientific device? your amazing! Ok I am just teasing you. What I am telling you is that most club makers dont belive butt weighting (thats what adding a heavier grip is) has any affect on how the club plays so in essence you can get the scale to read what ever you want it too but your not realy changing the playibility of the club so in essance your fooling the scale. It will make the club read lighter on the sweing weight scale but in static weight it will be heavier. Now if you add a 3 lb grip it will make the club read like an A0 on the swing weight scale so is the club lighter? No u just fooled the swing weight scale

in no way does the swingweight scale give u a measurement for static weight. swingweight is a metric for weight distribution throughout the club. so how are you "fooling" it?

swingweight is not an indicator of static weight so comparing "light" swing weight to "light" static weight is comparing apples to oranges

swing weight is a mesure of how heavy the club head end will feel it mesures the balence point on a 14 inch fulcrum is what it does. so you can add as much weight as you want to the grip end and it will change the scale a bunch will it in actuality change the feel of the club? Depends who you talk to a lot of people are going to MOI club fitting

gas_can will strangle me for saying this but... I'm assuming you have a swingweight scale.
  1. Order a roll of lead tape from http://www.golfworks.com
  2. Ralph Maltby says about 2 inches of tape will add "about" 1 point.
  3. That's really an approximation.
  4. My rule of thumb is: the lighter the shaft the less weight you need in the head to increase the nominal swingweight.
If you don't need a lot of tape to get there, it might be your fix. If you need a lot, you probably won't like the looks (or the tape falling off). Take your heads to a good shop. If your clubs are now around C-2, I would buy new ones. If you have the absolute heaviest shaft ever in your clubs, changing shaft weights may do it. I wouldn't spend the time or money on finding out for sure. Somebody already told us about the 14" fulcrum. The grip has an effect for sure. Relative to shaft and head weight variations, static grip weight is insignificant.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I just changed my putter grip to a Winn Jumbo and it took all the feeling out of my Rossie. I had to entertain the thought of adding 4 pieces of tape (@ 4 swingweight points to get it back to the same swingweight). I chose to go back to my standard grip because the Winn was an impulse buy. I again learned the value of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So the answer is yes, grips can affect swingweight.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 1 year later...
Swing weight, or moment of inertia, is measured on a club at the industry standard point 14 inches from the grip end of the club. But your hands actually pivot at a point closer to 6 inches from the end of the club. This is why a heavier Jumbo or "super-oversized" Grip on woods and irons will, in the mechanical sense (the scale) lessen the swing weight, but since the weight of the grip is distributed half above the true pivot point and half below, the club with a jumbo grip will feel the same to that player. Tests with real players and super-oversized grips confirm this and we have tested thousands of golfers.

Change your grips based on what feels good and works to control the club. If you want to increase or decrease the swing weight, stick with other methods.

• 3 weeks later...
Definitely. You can put extra-light grips on if you want a bit heavier swingweight. My clubmaker laughed when I had him do this, since most golfers can't discern between going from D0 to D1 in their swing -- or D2 to D4 for that matter. Since swingweight doesn't have units of measure (it takes less weight to change the swingweight on your driver than your wedge, because of the length of the shaft), what it comes down to is all feel, like virtually everything else in golf.

Really, can most people feel the difference between a a dime's weight on the head of their driver?

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

• 1 year later...

Jay_B.....simply think of a counterweight scale....

Ralph Maltby describes it: "The measurement of a golf club's weight about a fulcrum point which is established at a specified distance from the grip end of the club."

In our terms ... 14'' from the grip end is the fulcrum..if the grip end and the shaft end were in perfect balance you would have no swingweight..ie. A0...the higher the swingweight indicates how much the  clubhead to grip ratio is....! the greater the ratio..the higher the SW.

Usually most men play in the "D" range & women in the "C" range.

Therefore adding weight to the club end or removing weight from grip end increases swing weight & vice versa.

Today the tendency is for lighter static weight & to keep whatever swing weight that you feel comfortable with, consistent throughout your set. The Driver & putter are the obvious exceptions.

I prefer a setup that allows the shaft to load as much as I can handle on the downswing & release through ball impact.

That setup is a science & an art for a seasoned professional club fitter to help you with enjoying...!

Note: This thread is 4747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!