IGNORED

Long Iron Advice

Note: This thread is 2672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive gotten to where i love my 4-iron but i had the same issue with my 3-iron. 3 and 4 would go about the same distance but the 3 cut, im gonna call it a bit more than my 4. I replaced my 3-iron with a 3 Hybrid and now im good. My 4-iron is a club that I made a huge effort to learn to hit well because it has a great ball flight as far as launch, height and that little cut action. Its my favorite par 5 tool now. Good luck and Hit Em Good !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I too like my 3 and 4 irons.  I do normally hit them farther than my 5 by about 10 to 15 yards for the 4 and the same farther than my 4 with my 3.  On average good hits my 5 iron is around 175 yards, my 4 iron around 190 and my 3iron 200+. which for my age and swing speed are adequate distances.

@The Wrong FairwayCould it possibly be that you are placing the ball farther forward in your stance at set up, and potentially starting to break your inline left wrist?  Even a little break will still give you good loft, can 'feel' crisp, but rob distance because you lose power quickly if that happens.  Being sure you are hitting down on the ball and not breaking your left wrist might help.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Thanks loads for all the advice. I can assure you that there is no ego in wanting to play long irons over hybrids/ fw. I just simply prefer looking down at an iron than a hybrid/fw. I've also tried a Adams DHY 4 iron and have to admit that helped with distance gaps but I draw/hook the hell out of it yet every other club goes nice and straight for me. I've never had the left prob with hybrids before. I have been using my 23 degree hybrid for the last few rounds and it has helped with consistency so it will likely stay in the bag. The other thought I have been having is experimenting with the 3 iron. I want to change the shaft anyway so before I do Im thinking of cutting it to 5 iron length and adding some lead tape to it to increase swing weight. I will primarily be doing this to see if it will give me a club to use when the wind is blowing. The theory is the 6 degree gap between my 3 and 5 iron with more chance of good contact will give me the distance gap I need between the 2 clubs and I'll have a club I can use consistently. Has anyone else tried this? Again thanks for all the help and advice.

Edited by The Wrong Fairway
Mispelled some words.

Note: This thread is 2672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!