Jump to content
gulfcoastnative

GPS Watches… Any Recommendations?

47 posts / 8059 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Thank you. I am leaning towards the S20 as the only complaint I have for the approach S2 is its failure to maintain charge, When I first got it, I could get nearly three rounds of golf OR three weeks as a simple watch. Now it more like 1 round or 4 days as a watch.

Yeah you will definitely be able to get at least 2 rounds out of it. I make it a habit to always charge the night before playing so I'm never in any risk of running out of battery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Both my buddy and his Son have identical Garmin watches. I don't know which model, but they both work very well. 

Someone remarked that they discovered how much their yardage estimates were off after getting a watch. What we've discovered is how much some on course yardage markers are off! We've found some that were off by as much as 10-12 yards! 

And Hacker James, it sounds like you have a bad battery that won't hold a charge. It happens. I'd get in touch w/the manufacturer and see if there's anything they can do for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

 

And Hacker James, it sounds like you have a bad battery that won't hold a charge. It happens. I'd get in touch w/the manufacturer and see if there's anything they can do for you. 

 Naw, too much hassle. Not sure, but I have not seen a lot of Garmin repair facilities around. Should I decide on a holiday gift for myself, I am torn between a GPS and portable launch monitor i.e. Swing Caddie SC200 or Swing speed radar.  Meanwhile, If I remember to charge what I have, the night before, no problems.  "fickleness not with-standing."

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone tried the Samsung Gear Golf Edition watch?

31162-posts.main_image.jpg

Samsung has announced a special edition of its recently released Galaxy Watch - one that's tailor-made for golfers. The Korean company revealed...

I currently have a Gear S3 watch and enjoy it but thinking of upgrading for Christmas.

Oops...didn't read the whole review before posting.

"And despite the new edition featuring golf smarts that apply globally, it appears, at least initially, it will only go on sale in the company's own territory."

Well, anyone use an app for the S3?

Edited by Joey G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would go for a smartwatch or Shotscope.. It just gives you all the info the others give you, and more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the Garmin S20 for a couple of years now. Works fine. Good battery life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I currently use an Apple Watch and an app called Fun Golf GPS, works well for me.
I previously used a Garmin S2 Approach which worked fine but the information is less detailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2018 at 8:07 PM, Joey G said:

Anyone tried the Samsung Gear Golf Edition watch?

31162-posts.main_image.jpg

Samsung has announced a special edition of its recently released Galaxy Watch - one that's tailor-made for golfers. The Korean company revealed...

I currently have a Gear S3 watch and enjoy it but thinking of upgrading for Christmas.

Oops...didn't read the whole review before posting.

"And despite the new edition featuring golf smarts that apply globally, it appears, at least initially, it will only go on sale in the company's own territory."

Well, anyone use an app for the S3?

I have an S2.   When it dies, I won't replace it.   It works as a watch well but for active activities it fails.  If I wear it at the driving range, it will show an active workout and won't stop until the battery goes dead even though I stop.   The golf apps that are available for the S2 don't have good reviews.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, mrjohnsmitt said:

I currently use an Apple Watch and an app called Fun Golf GPS, works well for me.
I previously used a Garmin S2 Approach which worked fine but the information is less detailed.

Couldn't agree with you more..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I have an S2.   When it dies, I won't replace it.   It works as a watch well but for active activities it fails.  If I wear it at the driving range, it will show an active workout and won't stop until the battery goes dead even though I stop.   The golf apps that are available for the S2 don't have good reviews.  

My S2 works okay, but battery does not maintain a charge very well. I need to plug it in every three or four days. It does permit complete rounds however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, dennyjones said:

GG is Game Golf.    Do a search here and you'll find many threads about these tags that attach to your clubs.  

Garmin makes very good gps watches if that is your preference.   

I'm still using my Garmin S1.

 

IMO don't buy a Refurbished watch, buy new. I made the mistake and bought a Garmin S20 Refurbed and now the OK button doesn't work. I'm back using my reliable S1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...