Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the end of the summer I suffered a broken foot after participating in a 5k for charity event, shortly before leaving for college, and it left me away from golf clubs until now. I have not swung a club with the intention of hitting a ball in about 3 months, and I desperately want to get back to where I was a long time ago. Over the summer I became obsessed with knowledge, and I attempted to Self-Diagnose my own swing, and those of you on here that are instructors, you know how bad that truly can be. This caused me to refuse advice from obviously more qualified individuals than myself, and ultimately ruined my golf swing. A short subscription to evolvr fixed some of the issues, but it just wasn't the same as being in person for a lesson.

My question to all who read this is, if you were in my position, where would you start? I'm not sure what club to pick up first, metaphorically speaking. I already contacted my colleges Golf Team's Instructor who is kindly willing working with me, for a fairly decent price. Outside of lessons, I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing. I practice swing feelings all the time, and I truly mean all the time. Any time I get a stick-type object i swing it like it's a golf club, but I'm not sure what more I should actually be doing. I am planning on going to the range once a week. I am a full time student so any more is putting a lot of pressure on me in terms of grades, job, etc, and I just wouldn't have time.

Aside from that, I'm looking to re-read Lowest Score Wins, and be more active on this forum. Hello again everyone!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey @freshmanUTA,

I've been in your shoes before and it's not fun at all. It sounds like your doing the best thing you can do already, working with a professional in person. The only other thing I could suggest to your question is to pick up a wedge and work on half swings and making good contact. There's a video @iacas shared with me on my swing thread that illustrates what I'm getting at. The longer the swing the more issues that can arise, in my opinion and just making good contact on short shots can go a long way for getting some confidence back. Just my semi educated take!

Good luck!

heres the video

Hey there

No  doubt your pro is  the man who can actually see what you are doing and take his lead.That said you can always practice the fundamental issues we all have while at home/work/studying.things like grip and getting back into habits like a good posture can be done in the kitchen while the kettle boils/while revising!?.....Putting is another,ive got a putting mat in my kitchen ( its kept under a table in the corner!) so if you are struggling with swing it's nice to hole a few putts at least!! Good luck

My lay off from the game was much longer than the OP's. I basically had to start from scratch all over again. Some folks even said I would never swing a golf club again. 

Due to the physical limitations of healing, and rehab, I had to start with putting, and work my way backwards from the green, to the tee box. For me it worked out.  If had started with my driver, I don't think I would be golfing now. 

So for various, individual reasons, starting from the green, and working backwards to the tee box is always an option when starting over. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!