IGNORED

How many three-putts (or more) did you have today?

woodzie264
Note:Β This thread is 2057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

None. Haven't 3-putt in a couple of monthsΒ ;-)

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

None!Β :banana:

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

• 2 weeks later...

Three 3 putts yesterday.Β  But only 32 total putts so not too bad for the first round in about 3 months.Β  It was the first day the course opened this year and still not in prime condition.Β  Still freezing or close to it at night here with hi temps in the mid fifties.

Butch

57 minutes ago, ghalfaire said:

Three 3 putts yesterday.Β  But only 32 total putts so not too bad for the first round in about 3 months.Β  It was the first day the course opened this year and still not in prime condition.Β  Still freezing or close to it at night here with hi temps in the mid fifties.

I have those days myself - at least you were playing!

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

I rarely don't 3 putt playing on my own or with my kids, but when there are other people around I tend to 3 putt less. So, all my posted rounds have very few 3 putts. :-P

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Funny. As butt-hurt as I am over many aspects of the 12 holes I played yesterday afternoon, I don't recall any three putts. ... I also don't recall any one putts.Β 

Β 

Played 9 holes and had one three putt on the hardest green on the course.Β 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SWΒ Ping Karsten ironsΒ with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

2 in 27 holes, pretty good until youΒ bump it up against myΒ 4 triples andΒ 2 OB. Β One should never have more triples or OBs than 3-putts.Β Β Crushed the ball, however, so it was a good day.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

2 yesterday and they were both initial putts that had some sort of rounded ridge in the first 15ft. Then the rest of the 20ft sloped modestly and consistently.

I cant seem to figure out how to get the ball on a good initial line such that it comes off aΒ ridge with a chance of getting close. I left my second putts 5-10ft on those I think.

Β 

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

3 hours ago, RandallT said:

I cant seem to figure out how to get the ball on a good initial line such that it comes off aΒ ridge with a chance of getting close

They are typically a bitch. Too much speed and it will run out forever.
Not enough speed and it usually leaves the ball well short of the hole.

Every once in a while when I'm faced with an extremely difficult ridge or mound I'll grab a wedge
and play it off the green.

When I need to scuff speed, I'll use the lob and try to carry the ridge or bump it into the upslope.
It's a risky play, results areΒ usuallyΒ better thanΒ the wedge than putting it when you pull it off.

Last Sunday I was faced with one, pin in the back right corner, I wasΒ on the front right corner
with a ridge in the middle. My line was two feet off the green, land the ball in the ruff,
pitched it low so the ball would bounce back onto the green and damn near made it.

My playing partner looked at me and said "never in a million years would he have thought about
playing it in that manner"

Had I'd tried to putt it, the best outcome would most likely been having 15-20 left of the hole.

It at least saved a three putt bogey on the card.

I also have a good story about the final hole during the Newport Cup which I elected to use my lob wedge rather than chance
trying to roll a putt from the fringe. The result brought many cheers from the gallery...Β  :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

12 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Every once in a while when I'm faced with an extremely difficult ridge or mound I'll grab a wedge

Oh these mounds were nothing that severe or dramatic! Mainly rounded areas just slightly sloped. The first I underestimated that it would push my ball right so the later break left wasn't enough. The other hole I overcompensated and gave the first part of the putt too much respect!

The greens I play on are fairly straightforward compared to the courses I played last year at a TST outing weekend, so I've got work to do!

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

On 12/10/2016 at 10:14 AM, JonMA1 said:

If I serve any purpose on this site, it'd have to be reminding other members their games couldΒ be worse.Β :-D

There are days I could probably be that person for putting.Β  Had one day last year where I shot an 86 with 43 putts.Β  That is impressively bad putting.Β  Probably the most depressing mid 80s round I've ever had because I had birdie putts most of the day.Β  I had two 4 putts and a whole host of three putts.Β  Its kind of sad when your playing partner, whom you still beat by 6 or so strokes, starts to feel sorry for you.

Β 

As for the thread itself, I managed to get by yesterday with only 1 three putt (just a very poor lab.Β  That's about normal for me, unless the wheels fall off then I putt historically bad.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

10 hours ago, baller7345 said:

There are days I could probably be that person for putting.Β  Had one day last year where I shot an 86 with 43 putts.Β  That is impressively bad putting.Β  Probably the most depressing mid 80s round I've ever had because I had birdie putts most of the day.Β  I had two 4 putts and a whole host of three putts.Β  Its kind of sad when your playing partner, whom you still beat by 6 or so strokes, starts to feel sorry for you.

I guess the upside is that you must have a pretty good full swing to shoot an 86 with that many putts.Β 

It's just maddeningΒ to give yourself chance after chance for birdie or at least par, only to walk away from the hole with a bogey.

Jon

Note:Β This thread is 2057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!