IGNORED

"Playing From a Position" à la Jim Venetos

RussUK

On 2/23/2020 at 8:14 AM, Robos said:

He kicked me out of the academy because I argued the point that it’s physically possible for me to hit it fat.

If this is what happened it’s a poor reflection on Jim. If he wasn’t able to prove that hitting it fat with weight forward isn’t possible then it’s his failure, not yours. But he kinda rides on the cult-like attitude of ‘don’t question me...just stay with the program.’ Again..there’s a reason Jim hasn’t gone mainstream with this.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

:doh: Copy the website URL from the YouTube video and paste the link into a reply...

Not sure why you would expect someone to sift through a minimum of 10-15 videos just because you don't know how to copy/paste? You are the one who mentioned that there were some videos about a specific topic which contradicts people who have paid for and tried this swing are saying, so that means the burden of proof is on you to cite your source, not just tell someone else to look them up.

That’s solid.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

If this is what happened it’s a poor reflection on Jim. If he wasn’t able to prove that hitting it fat with weight forward isn’t possible then it’s his failure, not yours. But he kinda rides on the cult-like attitude of ‘don’t question me...just stay with the program.’ Again..there’s a reason Jim hasn’t gone mainstream with this.

Yea, don’t really understand his rationale. Tho yeah, I don’t think he has much of an appetite for defending his swing. What sucks is I’ve been trying to graduate for 2+ years and felt like I was really close, but I need to be able to make sense of things because that’s how I learn. So whatever, I’ll figure it out.

I’m still not sure if I should not be able to hit it fat. In theory, if I approach the ball with a fully extended/locked left elbow, then pivot+grip I may not be able to hit it fat. I do setup with loose and relaxed arms which means arm extension on a backswing could lead to inconsistent contact. I’m not really sure, I’ll have to play with it.

I only talk about Jim Venetos and Mevos. Basically if your topic doesn't end in "os" I don't care.

3 hours ago, Robos said:

What sucks is I’ve been trying to graduate for 2+ years and felt like I was really close, but I need to be able to make sense of things because that’s how I learn. So whatever, I’ll figure it out.

Graduate what? Not even tour players ‘graduate.’ Golf is an ever long game of improvement and challenge. The JV swing? Set up, stay ‘still’...now go practice. It’s just like any other methodology just fewer moving parts.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Graduate what? Not even tour players ‘graduate.’ Golf is an ever long game of improvement and challenge. The JV swing? Set up, stay ‘still’...now go practice. It’s just like any other methodology just fewer moving parts.

When you pay and join Jim’s academy you send him videos and he gives feedback. Once you demonstrate an understanding of the swing and can execute it as prescribed he graduates you. 

I can’t graduate because my arms don’t (for lack of better terms) fall into the slot - I need to let them just fall but my brain won’t do it. Supposedly if I just focus on my lead foot and let my hands and arms do their thing everything will work out - but this is easier said than done for me. My brain just doesn’t trust my arms - so that’s what I’m working on.

I only talk about Jim Venetos and Mevos. Basically if your topic doesn't end in "os" I don't care.

20 minutes ago, Robos said:

When you pay and join Jim’s academy you send him videos and he gives feedback. Once you demonstrate an understanding of the swing and can execute it as prescribed he graduates you. 

I can’t graduate because my arms don’t (for lack of better terms) fall into the slot - I need to let them just fall but my brain won’t do it. Supposedly if I just focus on my lead foot and let my hands and arms do their thing everything will work out - but this is easier said than done for me. My brain just doesn’t trust my arms - so that’s what I’m working on.

Yeah...I joined and gave it 3 months. I didn’t feel I really needed anything else from him. I too didn’t agree with some of what he said but I didn’t bring that up to him as it wasn’t talked about in my video lessons. He did tell me how he wanted my arms to be after impact ( odd ) and his explanation/comparison was wrong. He stated something he did which was after impact that I did differently yet this was after impact. We looked the same at impact I didn’t see why it mattered because he even says you don’t have to look exactly like him.

I believe If someone who knows nothing about golf watched this he would be perplexed as to why he can’t swing the club as fast as Jim at 118mph. I’m a believer that the arms generate a lot of the speed in a golf swing, then add a longer shaft voila! No? It seems you’d have to be enormously gifted with fast twitch muscle to produce 118mph for a guy with Jim’s size/strength.

I am just waiting for the thing to die and go away...If there is so much hate for this method, etc. why do people keep coming back and keeping it alive.  Let it go...

35 minutes ago, Osnola said:

I am just waiting for the thing to die and go away...If there is so much hate for this method, etc. why do people keep coming back and keeping it alive.  Let it go...

I wouldn't say there's hate, at least a few guys have found the instruction to be helpful.  And for those of us who aren't interested, we can always choose not to open the thread.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

39 minutes ago, Osnola said:

I haven’t seen any hate for this method here. There is skepticism over the supposed benefits over the conventional swing which is warranted, but that’s not hate. It’s been stated many times throughout this thread that there are good things about this method that can certainly help people.

• Like 3

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

58 minutes ago, Osnola said:

Where’s this ‘hate’? I did this method and am currently doing it again as it is a bit easier on my back ( for me) and I hit much more consistent strikes using it. So that’s that. I’m very curious to read what people who know a hell of a lot about the mechanics of a golf swing and body mechanics in general say when they analyze it. Unfortunately you’ve taken the Jim attitude that any ‘negative’ remarks about it are of contempt. They’re not.

@iacas and others who are very knowledgeable about golf and body mechanics have stated they feel this method limits power. Nobody including Jim himself has presented anything to show it doesn’t. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 5:43 AM, klineka said:

:doh: Copy the website URL from the YouTube video and paste the link into a reply...

Not sure why you would expect someone to sift through a minimum of 10-15 videos just because you don't know how to copy/paste? You are the one who mentioned that there were some videos about a specific topic which contradicts people who have paid for and tried this swing are saying, so that means the burden of proof is on you to cite your source, not just tell someone else to look them up.

Took me less than 5 minutes to find the video. If your so passionate about it, why don't you go spend a few minutes and copy the whatever, to the paste, to the link. Probably take you less time than you spent with that post. Burden of proof on me? :no:

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Burden of proof on me? :no:

Yes.

100% yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes.

100% yes.

No it isn't. Gimme a break. I watched some videos of Jim's out of curiosity, and one of them was him demonstrating a beginner, intermediate, and his own advanced player setup. Why the hell would I make that up. Again, if it's that important to you or anyone else here, go find it yourself. Don't ask me again because I didn't spend as much time watching his videos, as I have trying to convince you and someone else what I watched.

4 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

No it isn't. Gimme a break. I watched some videos of Jim's out of curiosity, and one of them was him demonstrating a beginner, intermediate, and his own advanced player setup. Why the hell would I make that up. Again, if it's that important to you or anyone else here, go find it yourself. Don't ask me again because I didn't spend as much time watching his videos, as I have trying to convince you and someone else what I watched.

That’s not really how that works. You posted that you watched a specific video and someone asked you to share it, to which you told him to look for it himself. He’s already watched a number of videos and was a member of Jim’s academy and he wasn’t aware of what you posted.

There’s also the fact that you already watched the video so chances are you know exactly which one it is and he would have to watch a number of videos to find the right one. He may find it. He may find one he thinks is the one you referred to, but isn’t. It saves miscommunication to begin with if you would have just linked it as he asked. Plus it’s just common courtesy.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The only difference in the set up is for beginners or less flexible people he recommends moving your trail foot back a few inches or more to make the ‘pivot’ and weight on lead foot easier.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I believe If someone who knows nothing about golf watched this he would be perplexed as to why he can’t swing the club as fast as Jim at 118mph. I’m a believer that the arms generate a lot of the speed in a golf swing, then add a longer shaft voila! No? It seems you’d have to be enormously gifted with fast twitch muscle to produce 118mph for a guy with Jim’s size/strength.

He doesn’t even swing in this video.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

He doesn’t even swing in this video.

I know...classic Jim. And really his ‘paid’ site has nothing regarding driver either. He’s got one slow motion vid ( not even high speed) showing a driver from face on. I know he’s gotta promote his business but it really gets frustrating that every response to questions ( on YouTube) is ‘ sign up for my school.’  
He did say he was gonna get a Trackman and post some videos. That was almost a year ago and nothing still.

• Administrator

Uhm, @TRUCKER, in addition to everything else @billchao said, this:

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Plus it’s just common courtesy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets