IGNORED

"Playing From a Position" à la Jim Venetos

RussUK

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That's not what's happening there.

And hey, if your swing is 3° in to out, opening up to 6° and making the same swing can produce a fade. So it's not like I disagree that it's a way to hit a differently shaped shot. It's how I prefer to do it.

But he's not doing just that. He's not changing only his alignment (and he's certainly not changing it by only the amounts required to go from a 3 yard draw to a 3 yard fade).

When you post in only this topic, basically, the tendency some members may have is to write you off as a Venetos shill or something. That's why it's been strongly suggested that you find other topics in which to post.

Sure thing - no problem checking out of this thread/site.

I only talk about Jim Venetos and Mevos. Basically if your topic doesn't end in "os" I don't care.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Robos said:

Sure thing - no problem checking out of this thread/site.

Oh brother.

🤦‍♂️

Super weak sauce here man. Having a discussion, and at the first sign of any push back - which is actually just trying to help you manage how you may be perceived - you bolt. Weak sauce. Almost as weak as Jim himself bolting instead of engaging in an honest discussion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Super weak sauce here man. Having a discussion, and at the first sign of any push back - which is actually just trying to help you manage how you may be perceived - you bolt. Weak sauce. Almost as weak as Jim himself bolting instead of engaging in an honest discussion.

Hmm, I was told to go post in other threads - which I interpreted as to stop posting in this one - but maybe I interpreted it wrong?

I only come to this site when I get an email - which apparently happens when someone posts in a thread I previously have.

Which is the only reason I’m posting now - even though I checked the options to stop email notifications I still got one. Also, doesn’t seem like it’s possible to delete my account - looked for that too.

I only talk about Jim Venetos and Mevos. Basically if your topic doesn't end in "os" I don't care.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Robos said:

Hmm, I was told to go post in other threads - which I interpreted as to stop posting in this one - but maybe I interpreted it wrong?

You did. And you weren't told - it was a suggestion for your benefit.

6 minutes ago, Robos said:

I only come to this site when I get an email - which apparently happens when someone posts in a thread I previously have.

You're "following" the only two topics you've posted in.

image.png

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Robos said:

Which is the only reason I’m posting now - even though I checked the options to stop email notifications I still got one. Also, doesn’t seem like it’s possible to delete my account - looked for that too.

When someone posts only in one thread, it could be interpreted as them having a vested interest in that thread. I’m this case, it is a swing method. Because you don’t seem interested in any other thread, some may think you are promoting this method. This would be unfortunate. We all came to this site because we like to talk golf. It would be sad if you only joined this site to just promote this swing method. There is so much more here. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

When someone posts only in one thread, it could be interpreted as them having a vested interest in that thread. I’m this case, it is a swing method. Because you don’t seem interested in any other thread, some may think you are promoting this method. This would be unfortunate. We all came to this site because we like to talk golf. It would be sad if you only joined this site to just promote this swing method. There is so much more here. 

I like discussing alternative swings - eg stack and tilt, and other methods I see out there. If there was an area to just talk that I’d be all over it. But yeah, I have little interest discussing much else aside from the mevo when it comes to golf - I have other hobbies too.

Also, not sure how people can interpret me as a shill - I’ve openly stated problems with the JV swing. I just tell it like I see it. There are good things about the swing, there are bad.

For example, I no longer use the JV swing as prescribed - my left knee gets sore after a heavy range session.

And I’m being honest when I say JV’s fade and draw are the exact swing just different angles of attack based on his setup. Not only do I see it in the pictures above, but I also experience it.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Robos said:

And I’m being honest when I say JV’s fade and draw are the exact swing just different angles of attack based on his setup. Not only do I see it in the pictures above, but I also experience it.

The photos above show plenty of differences beyond the slight setup changes.

11 minutes ago, Robos said:

Also, not sure how people can interpret me as a shill -

To be clear, I am not suggesting you are necessarily. But in the past we have had people join who misrepresented themselves as enthusiastic users of products, methods, swing gurus, who turned out to be from that company. So naturally we moderators have to be careful as self promotion is not allowed on the site. We do allow paid advertising at times, but not the sneaky kind.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Is this basically a one leg drill but with restricted lead hip pivot?

I think people are often limiting their potential in life by thinking there is only one truth/way to do something. Biggest revelations in my job/hobbies/life has come from listening to different opinions/ideas. Often times the same thing has been said in two different ways and it has opened up two unique functions.

13 hours ago, Tepi90 said:

Is this basically a one leg drill but with restricted lead hip pivot?

Well not really. The hips aren’t being restricted because you set up by pivoting to your lead foot thus closing your stance. Then you grip the club. Then it’s a matter of staying very still in the backswing with only your arms moving to swing the club back along your body. Due to the setup position you create a circular, shallow descending strike with the club traveling in to out.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of trying Veneto's swing because I am at the end of my rope with the conventional golf swing, so much so that if I don't improve I am going to leave the game forever this year.  I am beyond frustrated with this game.  My lessons with a PGA pro did nothing but make it worse.

Now after reading this whole thread I have my doubts that anything can help.

This method he is teaching reminds me of some Youtube golf channel that was teaching some swing called the "Channel Lock" method with the same type set up and sort of reminds me of what Bobby Lopez was mentioning during one of the "Be Better Golf" videos about keeping your shirt buttons behind the ball.

Oh well, I will give it a try anyhow as I am apparently lost and desperate enough to try anything at this point. 

29 minutes ago, MOODY said:

I was thinking of trying Veneto's swing because I am at the end of my rope with the conventional golf swing, so much so that if I don't improve I am going to leave the game forever this year.  I am beyond frustrated with this game.  My lessons with a PGA pro did nothing but make it worse.

This method he is teaching reminds me of some Youtube golf channel that was teaching some swing called the "Channel Lock" method with the same type set up and sort of reminds me of what Bobby Lopez was mentioning during one of the "Be Better Golf" videos about keeping your shirt buttons behind the ball.

Oh well, I will give it a try anyhow as I am apparently lost and desperate enough to try anything at this point. 

I use JV method. I recommend you try it. As stated in the thread it’s limitations are swing speed, trouble lies ( large downhill, side hill) which Jim won’t agree with but are simply true. I’m playing some really nice golf with this method. I think it’s excellent for those of us who just don’t have the talent for the ‘conventional’ swing. I’m able to slip off this swing sometimes and do a ‘modified’ JV swing when I need a shot that’s difficult to do with a closed stance. Otherwise I believe you’ll enjoy golf again if you do this method correctly.

Note: Most of my criticisms of this method are of Jim’s repetitive claims of the conventional swing being ‘wrong.’ I also don’t believe JV swings his driver 118mph with no weight shift. JV also teaches that the short game is where strokes are saved, not the long game. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

I use JV method. I recommend you try it. As stated in the thread it’s limitations are swing speed, trouble lies ( large downhill, side hill) which Jim won’t agree with but are simply true. I’m playing some really nice golf with this method. I think it’s excellent for those of us who just don’t have the talent for the ‘conventional’ swing. I’m able to slip off this swing sometimes and do a ‘modified’ JV swing when I need a shot that’s difficult to do with a closed stance. Otherwise I believe you’ll enjoy golf again if you do this method correctly.

Note: Most of my criticisms of this method are of Jim’s repetitive claims of the conventional swing being ‘wrong.’ I also don’t believe JV swings his driver 118mph with no weight shift. JV also teaches that the short game is where strokes are saved, not the long game. 

I get you, it is really fishy that the guy will not post any swing data or videos of him hitting multiple long clubs at a target.  I have hit rock bottom so I have nothing to lose and this is sort of close to stack and tilt which is where I was going anyway..... just need a glimmer of hope and the ability to get my ball in the air again.  The draw aspect has me worried as I am hooker already, I cannot keep my club face from shutting down at the ball for the life of me.

2 hours ago, MOODY said:

just need a glimmer of hope and the ability to get my ball in the air again.  The draw aspect has me worried as I am hooker already, I cannot keep my club face from shutting down at the ball for the life of me.

Without seeing your swing it sounds like you’re just getting the face too closed at impact. There are a number of reasons why this could be happening.

If you can get good video of your swing, I suggest you start a swing thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 5/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, MOODY said:

Years ago I commented in this thread that I was happy using a modified JV swing.  Until you mentioned CHANNEL LOCK, I hadn't heard of it.  I watched some videos and found that because so few were picking up that swing, the guy was not doing anymore videos.  I haven't taken Channel Lock to the course, which is the only real test, but I have hit hundreds of shots out of my backyard (to an empty space on the course next to my yard) and I am landing balls in a very tight circle with all irons.  Also, some of the drivers I hit were the longest I have hit it years.  We have a shoot out this Friday, can't wait.  As compared to JV's swing, Channel Lock seems more akin to the "universal" swing I used for many years, so it seems more natural.  We shall see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another example where Jim has a concept but then proceeds to make false claims. The spine rotates. The thoracic and cervical spine regions are designed to do so. That’s not an opinion. That’s anatomy/physiology 101. I can see where a traditional swing may cause more stress to the spine than his method. But how he goes about explaining it is 100% nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Another example where Jim has a concept but then proceeds to make false claims. The spine rotates. The thoracic and cervical spine regions are designed to do so. That’s not an opinion. That’s anatomy/physiology 101. I can see where a traditional swing may cause more stress to the spine than his method. But how he goes about explaining it is 100% nonsense.

I assumed when he said "Spine Angle" he meant the extent to which he is leaning backward away from the camera as he talks. Did anyone else find it distracting how far back he was leaning? 

Two things - One, it always bugs me when somebody says "During traditional instruction...." I've had lots of instruction over the course of my golf life, I'm not sure how much was traditional. I don't ever remember being told the "spine is the center of your swing." Maybe I was, but I don't recall being told that. 

Two - I think he actually says, if they followed his methods "Tour Pros would be better".... I found that interesting. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.