IGNORED

"Playing From a Position" à la Jim Venetos

RussUK

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Miserable video. I really can’t even understand  what he thinks a player watching this will gain. Blow my mind? Yeah no. What is it he thinks he’s discovered here? Again he’s preaching that less body movement produces more power in an indirect way. I still don’t get why Jim feels basic physics don’t apply to his pseudoscience of the golf swing. Being silly is fine, but don’t be fundamentally wrong.

Why is he in the middle of a Mad Max movie?

• Funny 1

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

If he sprays silver spray paint on his teeth and screams "What a Day! ... What a lovely Day!" I'll sign up for lessons with him. 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If he sprays silver spray paint on his teeth and screams "What a Day! ... What a lovely Day!" I'll sign up for lessons with him. 

I mean, I started reading this thread to cheer me up from Covid and I'm only on page 3.   Up until now, there was the one where he is in the middle of a jungle and then two dogs come trouncing across the screen.   Good thing they didn't get "inside-outed" if he had swung at the wrong time.

I suppose this works if you want to play golf in a post apocalyptic cattle farm.   The trippiest yoga teacher, who reeked of weed, sounded more with it than this as well.

FWIW if it works for you, that's great.   Someone who has trouble putting together a full swing might benefit, but honestly this seems kinda out there.

—Adam

8 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

The trippiest yoga teacher, who reeked of weed, sounded more with it than this as well.

Yeah... well... hmm.....  🍃🚬

9 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Someone who has trouble putting together a full swing might benefit, but honestly this seems kinda out there.

I've always thought that if Jim would have just gone with the "Hey, a lot of folks can't do a traditional golf swing." ... "Either they aren't athletic enough, or perhaps have injuries or age that's caught up with them." ... "I'm offering an alternative." 

If he went with an argument like that, I think he'd be embraced. 

BUUUUUTTTT, he keeps coming back with this swing is better than a traditional swing. ... Which is, oh what's the word?, I'll just go with "silly". 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, imsys0042 said:

He's got time to kill while his blue meth is cooking in the camper.

• Funny 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

19 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yeah... well... hmm.....  🍃🚬

I've always thought that if Jim would have just gone with the "Hey, a lot of folks can't do a traditional golf swing." ... "Either they aren't athletic enough, or perhaps have injuries or age that's caught up with them." ... "I'm offering an alternative." 

If he went with an argument like that, I think he'd be embraced. 

BUUUUUTTTT, he keeps coming back with this swing is better than a traditional swing. ... Which is, oh what's the word?, I'll just go with "silly". 👍

100% agree. Jim must’ve been really frustrated with not being able to make it on tour to have such a passion to try and dis the ‘traditional’ mechanics. What he seems to fail to address to this day is real data. I was in his program. The community section was absolutely a ghost town. You’d think if he has all these tour level students ( like his infamous +7hcp guy who’s set so many course records) they’d be active on his site and willing to help. 
Not a one. Not a single video or blog from anyone who’s accomplished ‘elite level’ golf with his method. All we get is Jim’s own testimony how he swings the driver 118mph and that the Titleist Institute of Technolody praised his remarkable ball striking. Not one iota of proof of course. But that’s Jim.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Reading this from the beginning....I just finished reading the whole thread....it's amazing how it's dead for a few months and then someone with virtually no posts appears with a story about how wonderful this method is and it has uplifted them in many ways.   

I mean let it go....  I'm with @Bonvivant from earlier, are a lot of these accounts from the same or similar IPs.   It's like a Yelp review where 10 versions of the same name keep trashing the restaurant for the same thing.

• Upvote 1

—Adam

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

He's got time to kill while his blue meth is cooking in the camper.

Damned it, Bill. Coffee nearly came out my nose when I read this and laughed out loud! 

BTW - Do I need to know how blue meth differs from crystal meth? ... On second thought, that's probably off topic. Never mind. 

26 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Damned it, Bill. Coffee nearly came out my nose when I read this and laughed out loud! 

BTW - Do I need to know how blue meth differs from crystal meth? ... On second thought, that's probably off topic. Never mind. 

It’s a Breaking Bad joke.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

It’s a Breaking Bad joke.

Believe it or not, I googled it. So, I actually knew that. Turns out there now is a thing called Blue Meth. But yeah, it started on Breaking Bad. 

1 hour ago, imsys0042 said:

Reading this from the beginning....I just finished reading the whole thread....it's amazing how it's dead for a few months and then someone with virtually no posts appears with a story about how wonderful this method is and it has uplifted them in many ways.   

I mean let it go....  I'm with @Bonvivant from earlier, are a lot of these accounts from the same or similar IPs.   It's like a Yelp review where 10 versions of the same name keep trashing the restaurant for the same thing.

Lol. It’s like the car crash syndrome. It’s the fact that he continues to post nonsense and still pushes the ‘ tour pros are doing it all wrong’ schtick that keeps me coming back. I guess I just see videos like the Stolen Valor ones and I wish I could see a real discussion where Jim gets called out for his nonsense. He always seems to evade any conflict and just keeps positing away.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I get why people get upset with the Jim's swing, it looks weird, feels a bit weird/different, however most things new do. 
I joined the course b/c I have mastered the Over the Top (OTP) move. I'd figure low ball, 10k of dollars in lessons, and a few thousand hours of practice,  to get rid of that OTP swing. My existing P.O.S swing has allowed me to shoot anywhere between, a 89 on the luckiest of days, and a 122 on the worst of days, averaging around the low hundreds (105ish). I thought it was a matter of practice, or that my body (Offensive/Defensive Line body) was just not suited to for golf. 

What struck me initially with the set up, is he's getting into the position, I've been told to be in. However, I couldn't get there except by accident. 

I've only been doing his course 2 days.  I hit the range after each series of lessons to practice, and it's like a miracle. Is every shot perfect? Nope, but I can now 'feel' immediately when I'm shifting, or opening up, and I'm able to correct it, by the next swing.  To be able to just to go to the range, and pick a target 155 yards away, and be NEAR (20 yards left/right of my target) is a miracle. Yesterday, I 'accidentally' hit a 7iron with 170 carry, on target with the most compression I've ever felt (from my piece of SH#$ 130-155 average distance with a 7). 

So far, in 25 years of starting this awful game, this is the first time I feel like I can hit a ball. I'm not saying traditional lessons are bad, I wouldn't have been able to just pick a club up and do what Jim is recommending without some sense of golf and experience.  I am saying this will work for many people who didn't start golfing at age 12, or can't get any kind of consistency out of their game. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Over-the-top-Master said:

I get why people get upset with the Jim's swing, it looks weird, feels a bit weird/different, however most things new do. 

You haven’t read this thread.

Good luck.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Over-the-top-Master said:

Nobody is mad at his swing. Read the thread and you will see what’s the real issue.

2 hours ago, Over-the-top-Master said:

I've only been doing his course 2 days. 

Then you shouldn’t have hit anything more than a 9i at this point. You’re not doing his course as he teaches it.

2 hours ago, Over-the-top-Master said:

I'm not saying traditional lessons are bad,

Jim disagrees with you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, this thread has a oddly recurring habit of someone new signing up specifically to sing the praises of Jim's system.   It's really odd, to say the least.   Somewhere between Jonestown and casual fan mail to your favorite celebrity.

I've seen people with far worse than what Jim teaches and they are just out there to have fun.   No one thinks less of anyone for using it, but there are technical limitations.   This thread reminds of the a thread I read here about chippers.   They are kind of frowned on by serious golfers, for the most part, but if it helps someone with a part of their game that they struggle with and it helps them score better, then it's no big deal.  Just don't claim you're an ace player when you are using a club that is basically a crutch because you can't do the same thing with your 7-iron.

I'm sure Jim's methods work for people with specific swing issues and it sounds like they help, but you probably are not going to blow out at your club championship using it.

—Adam

• 4 months later...

In all my years of golf , good and bad, I never thought of trying a closed stance but after two hip replacements and having all kinds of weight shift problems, it came to me. Before I even saw Jim Venetos vid or heard of him. 
  So a few years ago I saw his vid. Added his idea of stillness in the body but just couldn’t keep my shoulders from engaging in the backswing or his strong grip. I still would highly recommend his method over anyone current methods. 
 At 63 I will revisit his swing next year in my 48th year in golf.

1 hour ago, NoTalentLefy said:

I still would highly recommend his method over anyone current methods. 

For people with limitations, sure. I certainly wouldn’t encourage his method to an able bodied athlete though. The method itself is limited in what it can produce for most people despite what Jim says. 

To this day none of Jim’s accomplishments/stats/data are available. As well, none of his ‘star pupils’ are playing on any tours. And I understand this may not be an expectation for you, but Jim makes claims to +7hcp students and that traditional swing theory is flawed.

There is a vast amount of research and science behind ‘traditional’ swing theory that Jim disregards simply out of his own stubbornness and anecdotal experiences.

To constantly boast that he’s been teaching for over 30 years yet has not produced a single player of any caliber beyond a country club low-baller is telling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Vinsk said:

For people with limitations, sure. I certainly wouldn’t encourage his method to an able bodied athlete though. The method itself is limited in what it can produce for most people despite what Jim says. 

To this day none of Jim’s accomplishments/stats/data are available. As well, none of his ‘star pupils’ are playing on any tours. And I understand this may not be an expectation for you, but Jim makes claims to +7hcp students and that traditional swing theory is flawed.

There is a vast amount of research and science behind ‘traditional’ swing theory that Jim disregards simply out of his own stubbornness and anecdotal experiences.

To constantly boast that he’s been teaching for over 30 years yet has not produced a single player of any caliber beyond a country club low-baller is telling. 

It’s true he can’t get the stats but at the same time being on a cutting edge like Venetos is, it might take years more before what he teaches come to fruition.