IGNORED

You have one shot and must succeed. What would it be?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You have one shot and must succeed. What would it be?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a member of a golf “team.” You have one shot to contribute and must succeed. What would it be?

• Driver off the tee into the fairway
    • Fairway wood over a cross hazard to a designated layup area on a par 5
    • 7-iron approach somewhere on the green
    • 100-yard wedge shot to within 18 feet of hole
    • 8-foot putt, downhill, slightly right breaking
    • 10 yard sand shot to within 5 feet

• Administrator
3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

So if you and I were betting on how many GIRs you would get in 10 tries from 150 versus how many putts I would sink from 8 feet, would you take that bet?

That's a good question. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

So if you and I were betting on how many GIRs you would get in 10 tries from 150 versus how many putts I would sink from 8 feet, would you take that bet?

Good question, the deciding factor would be if your putt is from the same exact location 8 feet from the cup. If yes then I'd choose the putt.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Good question, the deciding factor would be if your putt is from the same exact location 8 feet from the cup. If yes then I'd choose the putt.  

You can't be worse than about 33% from 8 feet, right? Do you think you hit 33% of the greens from 150 yards?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't be worse than about 33% from 8 feet, right? Do you think you hit 33% of the greens from 150 yards?

Probably not.  

Joe Paradiso

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Um, is 33% reasonable from 8 ft? If so, I need to be working on my putting a LOT more than I already think I do! LOL. Because I ain't anywhere close to that. 

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Um, is 33% reasonable from 8 ft? If so, I need to be working on my putting a LOT more than I already think I do! LOL. Because I ain't anywhere close to that. 

Uhhh…

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-30%20at%2010.54.

50%, 40%, and about 30% (to account for an occasional three-putt).

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

Uhhh…

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-30%20at%2010.54.

50%, 40%, and about 30% (to account for an occasional three-putt).

Thanks for the table. I thought these numbers would be closer for a 5 ft putt. Wow, my putting really sucks. I should probably be around a 1.65 or ~37-ish % Ain't no way my friend! haha

So starting now, there's going to be a very solid amount of time I spend working on putting this winter. May need to work on getting some home indoor setup going too.

Edit: went the wrong way on the % for my math. Not 43%, more like ~37%. Still no way right now.

@iacas where is a good place to go online to get that type of information? Not just PGA stats but like you had it where it includes some degrees of skill levels? I can't seem to find a good place online.

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

27 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Thanks for the table. I thought these numbers would be closer for a 5 ft putt. Wow, my putting really sucks.

Yes, putting takes some skill that I don't seem to have either. Some days I don't miss putts, some I miss a lot of them. So, I can make some 20 footers, then miss 6 foot putts all day. . .It's probably just in my head, because I almost seem to be better at lag putting than anything from 6 to 10 feet. Not sure practice is going to help me without some sort of technique work, though. Unfortunate, for my answer to the poll which would be "none".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yes, putting takes some skill that I don't seem to have either. Some days I don't miss putts, some I miss a lot of them. So, I can make some 20 footers, then miss 6 foot putts all day. . .It's probably just in my head, because I almost seem to be better at lag putting than anything from 6 to 10 feet. Not sure practice is going to help me without some sort of technique work, though. Unfortunate, for my answer to the poll which would be "none".

The problem with me is, I'm bad at everything lol. I don't make much! I was a lot better before. I'm not sure what happened. When I was a better putter I was putting by feel a "popping" the ball. I tried to move to a more mechanical, quantitative feel (bringing the putter back X distance and letting it come down on it's own weight) to control my distance but I guess I still don't  have the feel for it. Often times I get that 25 ft putt that I putt to 8 ft... which is terrible! 

I can actually make considerably better lag putts by just walking up to the ball and smacking it towards the hole. With only a feel thought. But that's not what I want to do. My reading hasn't been that terrible either. And I'm able to get the ball on line pretty darn good too. It's just that dang speed!

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

@iacas where is a good place to go online to get that type of information? Not just PGA stats but like you had it where it includes some degrees of skill levels? I can't seem to find a good place online.

http://j.mp/lsw-sth

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Plus if you use the OP, the putt is from the same spot. You dial in the break on the first putt and your make % will go way up.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Sorry, I don't think this is a good comparable question in context of ' If you have ONE shot..' at all!

7 iron from 150 y out has a much bigger (more like YUUUUGELY big) skill component compared to the 8 foot put AFTER the first attempt. The 10th try of the 7i is not much easier if at all, even if it from the same spot as the first. Heck, the 5th try on an 8 foot (feet?) putt is significantly easier even if its not from the same spot as long as it is no the same green/hole location.  

Again, the clincher is that it is the FIRST attempt. On the first attempt I would easiely put my money on better the 50% odds of hitting the green from 150 out. but no better than 30% on the 8 footer..

Vishal S.

I would hit the 7-iron. If we are talking about a 160yd 7-iron. If its a D.J. 220yd 7-iron I guess i would try that 8' slider !

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Is the term "approach shot" always an attempt at a GIR? Meaning, if my stats for GIR's from 150 yds are at 30%, my overall percentage of shots to the green from that distance would likely be greater, would they not?

Not trying to split hairs. Many of my shots to the green are after a punch-out or penalty off the tee. I've always described those as approach shots so I'd like to know if that's incorrect.

Jon

19 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Is the term "approach shot" always an attempt at a GIR? ...

I believe the PGA Tour just measures accuracy from a certain range and does not qualify the attempt as a GIR attempt. My original question's intent was hitting the green with one's stock 7-iron shot without regard to whether it was the 2nd, 3rd or 4th stroke on that hole.

Brian Kuehn

36 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I believe the PGA Tour just measures accuracy from a certain range and does not qualify the attempt as a GIR attempt. My original question's intent was hitting the green with one's stock 7-iron shot without regard to whether it was the 2nd, 3rd or 4th stroke on that hole.

If I were playing badly enough that I need a 7i on the 4th stroke, it's time to pack up the bag and go do something more constructive. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

If I were playing badly enough that I need a 7i on the 4th stroke, it's time to pack up the bag and go do something more constructive. :-D

...says the single-digit golfer. Welcome to my world. :beer:. Seriously @Lihu, you don't ever hook tee shots of bounds?

Back on topic, there's a significant statistical difference between my 7i and my 6. There's also a significant difference between the yardage I use my 7i for and what others do. For that matter, my stats for making an 8' putts are far lower than 33%. Everyone's game is different.

Jon

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Sorry, I don't think this is a good comparable question in context of ' If you have ONE shot..' at all!

7 iron from 150 y out has a much bigger (more like YUUUUGELY big) skill component compared to the 8 foot put AFTER the first attempt. The 10th try of the 7i is not much easier if at all, even if it from the same spot as the first. Heck, the 5th try on an 8 foot (feet?) putt is significantly easier even if its not from the same spot as long as it is no the same green/hole location.  

Again, the clincher is that it is the FIRST attempt. On the first attempt I would easiely put my money on better the 50% odds of hitting the green from 150 out. but no better than 30% on the 8 footer..

I would take that bet everyday and twice on Sundays. You're overestimating your ability to hit a GIR from 150. I don't have the stats handy, @iacas may, but PGA pros are not as good as you think. I suspect your 50% estimate is way too high. I'm a good putter and would put a whole lot more faith in a simple 8 footer than a 150 yard approach shot. The putt doesn't have to deal with wind, lie and variable contact. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!