IGNORED

What are Your 2017 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Like our 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2011 , 2012 , 2013 2014, 2015, and 2016 threads, here's the official thread for 2017.

The rules are the same as they've been:

1. Post your goals personal golf-related goals for 2017. Be specific and thorough.
  2. Elaborate on how you'll go about achieving these goals. Details, people! :-)
  3. Post just once, though if you reach all of your goals, you should quote your post and revise them later in the year. And set harder goals next year.
  4. Keep the replies to a minimum. This thread is mostly for the posting of goals. If you want to encourage more discussion of your goals, post a copy of them in your Member Swing thread.

If you're looking to recap your 2016 goals, that's over here in this topic.

Let's hear 'em!

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic

My 2017 goal is simple.  Get my tournament handicap down to 0.0 or better. Right now it's at a 3.

The past 2 years have given me enough experience that I don't feel nervous, even on the first tee in bigger events.  This summer may be the last summer that I will have lots of opportunities to play events, so I need to make them count.  I have the swing that I want and performs well, I just have to work a bit on short game to keep that tight and play smart.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

The ultimate goal is breaking 80 this coming year. To attain this goal I must meet many smaller goals including: NOW PAY ATTENTION RICK (me)

#1--- Continue my lesson with Floyd

I respond best to aggressive teaching. I need to make it clear to Floyd that I want to be pushed in an uncomfortable aggressive way. The pleasantries are over time to go to work !

#2--- Yardages and gaps

Take the time to log accurate yardages and work on having proper gaps through mid and long irons.

#3--- Practice

Make and maintain a strict schedule for practice time. Focus deliberate not necessarily equal time to all aspects of my game.SHORT GAME-SHORT GAME ! ( Relax with the driver)

#4--- Course Management

Read and execute the LSW stuff Ive heard about.(Its in the mail). Poor decisions Tee to Green are hurting me. Play with a strategic mindset , not just hit and hope. Play to my strengths and work on weaknesses at practice not on the course.

#5--- Have fun and give myself a break when things go awry. Dont let a stretch of bad shots ruin the whole day. Not to high not to low---even keel.   Break 80 !!!!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

1) To break 80 at least once from the 6,200 (mens') tees at my home course

2) My score average to be <= 83 over the most recent 15 rounds by the end of the year (probably tougher than breaking 80).

3) Drop my putts/hole average down by 0.3 putts/hole. I'm averaging 36 putts/round = 2 putts/hole. I used to be a lot better than this but it's been wanky lately, and for an extended amount of time. I should probably rather set my goal in terms of average length of putts made (the trendy new PGA tour stat) but I'll leave it at putts/hole for now.

How: I will strive to practice my SHORT game and PUTTING much more frequently than I currently do. Rather than the recommended 65/20/15 (or whatever it is, I forget), I'm more like 90/3/7, if I had to guess. I'll go back to my instructor for some short game practice (< 30 yards) as well as actually learning how to hit different lies without "figuring it out on the fly" every time (uphill, downhill, ball above/below feet, bunker edges, etc). I never learned how to do these and have nowhere to really practice them. I need to figure this one out.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Get my index down to 12. More short game and putting practice. On the driving range break down my practice into short irons only, mid irons hybrid only or driver 3w only. I still have the tendency to run through the bag during a practice session.

I would like to consistently break 90. 

I really need to work on controlling my short game better. Hitting better shots from 150 yards and in. Making more greens in regulation. I think I need to drink a little less on the course and take the game a little more serious but still keep the game fun. When I go to the range, I need to practice better instead of just going out and hitting the balls around. Have a better plan when I get to the range to improve my game. In 2017 I would also like to meet more golfers my age and be able to play golf with more people my age.

• Upvote 1

Like 2016, I want get down to a "real" single digit hdcp. That's my goal, and if I can stay reasonably golf healthy, I can do it. 

I already have a practice regimine lined out, and I plan to play 2-3 times a week, most weeks. I am just going to devote more time to my golf game. Will probably start this endeavor in a couple of weeks. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Two simple goals for me:

1) Play more golf than I did in 2016.

2) Enjoy my time while golfing.

• Upvote 4

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

My performance-related goals (in increasing order of difficulty):

1.) Break 90

2.) No rounds over 100

3.) Average differential under 20

The only way I'm going to achieve these is with consistent practice throughout the entire winter, and a bit more focus on my short game and putting (right now, my practice is focused almost entirely on the full swing).

Every practice session will be focused and specific. When I am no longer making progress on my priority piece, I'll make time to visit my instructor and get some more guidance.

• Upvote 2

- John

With an upcoming shoulder resurfacing, my goal is to simply maintain a HCP between 9.5-10.5 by:

1. Continuing 5 mins challenge

2. Starting with Evolvr

3. Hitting more GIR (greater than 60%...11/18) and nGIR (88%...16/18)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1. I would like to maintain a Sub 5 handicap index for all of 2017.

2. I would like to shoot under par twice.

I am going to continue to practice and play in state and USGA tournaments next season. My goal is to play in 2 state tournaments, and try my hand at the US Mid Am qualifier again...and actually play well....if they let me sign up.

This year I used Evolvr to shoot lower scores, and really evolve my golf swing into something repeatable that produces results. I plan to continue to do so when I am able to practice after work again.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I would like to:

1.  Calibrate my swing into a more consistent swing

2.  Lower my index to 6-8

3.  Have a tighter shot group with scoring

4.  Build confidence to play in club championship (either championship flight or applicable flight)

How can I achieve these goals:

1.  Practice more; but more importantly, practice properly and practice the right things, at least 2-3 times per week (for the past 12 years I have not been able to get to the course during the week due to a long commute, but now I drive past the course everyday on my way home so i'm very motivated to start practicing and playing more) 

2.  With proper practice, increase FWs Hit and GIRs

3.  Dedicate more time for short game practice

4.  During a round, focus on the current shot and enjoy golfing, and stop worrying about range type changes on the course

5.  And finally - TRUST MY SWING

• Upvote 1

Gus
---------------

Here we go. 

1. Join a golf association here in FL and reestablish a GHIN handicap.
  2. Get to 9.9 HCI.
  3. Compete in at least 1 event (maybe I should try to get my HCI higher). 

The first is easy and should actually be finished by the end of 2016 but is needed for 2 and 3. The second will be done by continuing a consistent practice regimen. I also want to find a good instructor down here once we sell our house in Ohio.

- Shane

My first goal is to play at least 125 rounds at a minimum. The last two years due to physical problems I did 200 rounds between the two years. 

My second goal is to walk 18 holes each round. The last 5 years I have played at courses that did not allow me to walk and now I am playing a very walk  friendly course. this may sound an easy goal, but I turn 75 next year.

My third goal is to try to shoot my age. I have not come close except one round of 78 this year. 

After playing this game since 1962 there is not much left to improve upon. My main goal every year is to go out, enjoy the scenery, the company, and not worry about bad shots and poor rounds. Life is short so enjoy it every day. 

Edited by shanksalot

1. Next year I'd like to play in a tournament. I've never played in one. 
  2. I want to break 90 again, as I only did it once.
  3. I want to master my big driver and my 4-iron
  4. I want to maintain (or better) my rate of improvement from 2015-2016 at 55% more pars, and 50% more birdies over the same number of rounds. With as many bogies (+1) as I hit last season this should be very doable.

Didn't do this last year, so maybe I ought to take a shot this time. ...

1. Anger management - This is a forever problem for me and not just in golf. While I've made some strides, there's plenty of room for more improvement. It is in golf, that these issues show up so clearly in the numbers on a scorecard. I'd be daft to suggest my swing is anywhere near decent, but the pattern between what I do calm and what I do angry is very clear. It's hard to quantify, but the goal is to improve my temper problems by at least as much as I have the past couple of years.

2. Play with other people more - This actually dovetails with goal No. 1. I have a much better chance at maintaining my temper playing with someone rather than playing alone. Solo rounds still make up well north of 65% of my rounds. The presence of someone else sort of seems to serve as something of a check on my emotions.

3. Drop the HI under 20 - To have something concrete, I'll take this. It might sound conservative, but I want to keep things attainable. Doing 1 and 2 will get me here. If I can add some real improvement with my swing, I can do even better.

I've been hitting the range two to three times per week lately, so I've significantly improved my ball striking capabilities, especially with my middle irons. Furthermore, I've been hitting the practice green regularly, and my putting is one of the better parts of my game.

I still struggle off the tee, especially with a three wood or driver. My slice is still rather out of control. I also struggle in and around the greens, and have tendency to run the ball too far with a chip.

I shot an honest 104 last Friday with my dad and brother (no mulligans). I only lost two balls as well. I played bogey golf on a few holes, especially on the back nine (holes 10, 11, 12, 14, 17, and 18). All in all, I shot a 54 on the front nine and a 50 on the back nine, so stamina isn't an issue (and it shouldn't be, as I'm 27).

I'm currently in the market for a new irons set, and then I'm going to add wedges and some woods (thanks to help from TST members). Considering the foregoing, and the practice I've put in, I'd hereby submit the following 2017 Golf Goals:

1. Control tee shots, especially with a wood. I'd prefer to stay in the short grass approximately 66 - 75% of the time for par four and par five holes. I'm gaining confidence and ability with my irons, and hitting from the fairway with a direct shot at the green will greatly improve my game.

2. Control touch around the green to the extent I stay on the putting surface approximately 75% of the time when chipping/attempting a shot from within thirty (30) yards.To do this, I'll need extensive practice at the chipping/putting area of the driving range. Furthermore, I believe I could use a sand wedge for shorter, more delicate shots. I currently have the bad habit of blasting balls over the green with my pitching wedge, and I'd like to alleviate that.

3. As I'm fortunate to live in a warm clime and there are some sixteen (16) golf courses within 60 miles of my home, I'd like to play at least thirty (30) rounds next year. Furthermore, many of my colleagues are golfers.

4. Break 90 at least once. My most recent round (Black Friday 2016) was a 104. Given 12+ months to hone my game, I feel as if this is a reasonable goal.

5.Join a local country club or a local golfing association. The local golfing association is significantly cheaper than joining a country club. I feel as if this will allow me to professionally network my services, make new friends, and improve my game simultaneously.

6. Get a handicap below 20.

7. Hit the range/practice facility at least once per week. Hit at least 25 balls with woods, 25 balls with low- to mid-irons, 25 balls with mid- to high-irons, 25 wedge chips/approaches, and 25 putts each week.

My goal for next season is to try to improve my putting 

1. To feel more confident on putts I tend to under read 

2. Establish a routine 

3. Been using a line and also an ellipse logo on the ball to help align my eyes to the hole/cup 

I use an ellipse pattern cause I find that is what the cup looks like when I am set up for longer putts 

On the putts I tend to under read it's usually below the cup so establishing a pre putt routine to try to keep focus on the cup and not give the hole away 

4. On breaking putts using an AP system and putting to that spot and trusting my judgement based from the feel of my feet 

Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!