Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Covert

Non-compliant heads

Note: This thread is 1193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 posts / 1584 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

With help from forum members on my Long distance driver for compromised senior thread, I purchased a new driver extended one inch with a senior flex shaft. And from also changing my swing to include much more cocked wrists at the top of the uptake, and more depth from greater right elbow extension outward on the uptake, and applying a whipping motion at contact, the result was phenomenal. I went from hitting 210 to 250 plus on a range, re-challenged in three trips there to assure against a possible one-time fluke.

So, that’s not enough. Now I would like to purchase a good non-compliant head and have it fitted with a 48” extended senior flex shaft, 3” longer than standard. Does anyone know which non-compliant head(s) is/are best? Also, is it possible that they aren’t that much better than my new Nike Vapor Fly head, so all I would need is a longer shaft put on it to charge further toward that quixotic 300-yard drive? I've seen Calloway ERC, Cobra SS430, 900+Cor Super Speed by TPF, Juggernaut 515, and Hicor clubs advertised on the Web, but know nothing about any of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Covert said:

With help from forum members on my Long distance driver for compromised senior thread, I purchased a new driver extended one inch with a senior flex shaft. And from also changing my swing to include much more cocked wrists at the top of the uptake, and more depth from greater right elbow extension outward on the uptake, and applying a whipping motion at contact, the result was phenomenal. I went from hitting 210 to 250 plus on a range, re-challenged in three trips there to assure against a possible one-time fluke.

So, that’s not enough. Now I would like to purchase a good non-compliant head and have it fitted with a 48” extended senior flex shaft, 3” longer than standard. Does anyone know which non-compliant head(s) is/are best? Also, is it possible that they aren’t that much better than my new Nike Vapor Fly head, so all I would need is a longer shaft put on it to charge further toward that quixotic 300-yard drive? I've seen Calloway ERC, Cobra SS430, 900+Cor Super Speed by TPF, Juggernaut 515, and Hicor clubs advertised on the Web, but know nothing about any of them.

I could be wrong, but I doubt many on this forum will have alot to say about non-conforming clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From all I have gathered the non compliant heads for COR do not give you a lot of extra distance. Probably 3" longer shaft will help some but you will also lose control of your drives more. You will probably hit more off the fairway and although your good drives will gain some distance (5-7yd?) you may not recover from your bad drives. If you can get it out 250 with your new swing I would stay with that and just enjoy the heck out of being 35 yards longer. You may be one of the lucky ones who can hit a 48" driver in the short stuff, but most do not hit it consistent or straight enough to help them in the long run. 

As  an adder to my other post. Some twenty years ago I was building clubs for members at our golf course. One gentleman was in his mid 70's and I built a 48" driver for him. He gained almost 15 yards but his old driver was an old persimmons head. I gave him a new metal head and between the two he gained that yardage. But the caveat here is he was a 3 handicap at one time in his life and was still a very good player and had lost distance. He was very happy with the distance, but after the honeymoon was over he too started to lose his shots out of the fairway and sometimes mishit the shots. He eventually gave up the driver and went back to just 45" for the club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Shanks. For a while I thought I’d dropped an egg on a community of groupthink with a single mouthpiece. I loved the irony of woodzie’s vernacularism, “alot,” and you with your name morpheme, “alot,” kind of coming to my rescue. I certainly don’t want to do anything criminal, or unethical; I wouldn’t use non-compliant equipment in any kind of formal play. I am just playing around with physics, for the fun of it, and a touch of old-man ego. I’m perfectly happy on a range or banging long drives on a course in the early morning with nobody to see but God.

I’ll try a 48” shaft. I’m not concerned with losing control; it’s just another variable to experiment with. I did find with my slightly extended shaft and modified swing that I could control right and left drift by how much I rotated my hips and how far I extended my right elbow out. I was hitting pretty straight when I adjusted those two variables correctly, and believe I can with an even longer club. But if it turns out that I can’t stay in the fairway most of the time, I will forget about the extra distance and go back to my current club, with at least the one-inch advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Covert said:

Thanks, Shanks. For a while I thought I’d dropped an egg on a community of groupthink with a single mouthpiece. I loved the irony of woodzie’s vernacularism, “alot,” and you with your name morpheme, “alot,” kind of coming to my rescue. I certainly don’t want to do anything criminal, or unethical; I wouldn’t use non-compliant equipment in any kind of formal play. I am just playing around with physics, for the fun of it, and a touch of old-man ego. I’m perfectly happy on a range or banging long drives on a course in the early morning with nobody to see but God.

I’ll try a 48” shaft. I’m not concerned with losing control; it’s just another variable to experiment with. I did find with my slightly extended shaft and modified swing that I could control right and left drift by how much I rotated my hips and how far I extended my right elbow out. I was hitting pretty straight when I adjusted those two variables correctly, and believe I can with an even longer club. But if it turns out that I can’t stay in the fairway most of the time, I will forget about the extra distance and go back to my current club, with at least the one-inch advantage.

I would recommend checking out some of the long drive champions and see if they have information on how they do it. Some are incredibly flexible, which I am not, so that won't help. But they also have other techniques you can explore.

Non-conforming heads will have COR that is higher, but it may also come with increased variability in launch and off axis spin, which can affect accuracy. If you have access to eBay, you may find low cost options to experiment with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm  71 yrs  old and  like  many  geezers  have   lost driver   distance.  

Have  tried  regaining  some  with several  things:

1.  Bought higher  COR driver .   0.86 COR vs. USGA max of  0.83.  TaylorMade  R7 Quad with   Max on face.  My swing  speed  of  85 ish didn't  work  with   it. I had considered  getting  one  with  shaved face, but heard  they  may crack and still  need  higher  swing  speeds  

2.  Bought Cleveland   ultralight  270 gram club with 1" longer  42 g Myazaki shaft .   Went from  205 to 215+, but now fighting  slice

3.  Went back  to  my pro fitted Ping G15.  Must be swinging  better   because  getting  near 230 again  with  it  55g stock  Ping shaft  

4,  plan to  work  with  both  maybe add lead tape  to  hossel  area of Cleveland  to  help  with  slice

Good  luck  keep us  posted  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2016 at 6:34 PM, Covert said:

With help from forum members on my Long distance driver for compromised senior thread, I purchased a new driver extended one inch with a senior flex shaft. And from also changing my swing to include much more cocked wrists at the top of the uptake, and more depth from greater right elbow extension outward on the uptake, and applying a whipping motion at contact, the result was phenomenal. I went from hitting 210 to 250 plus on a range, re-challenged in three trips there to assure against a possible one-time fluke.

So, that’s not enough. Now I would like to purchase a good non-compliant head and have it fitted with a 48” extended senior flex shaft, 3” longer than standard. Does anyone know which non-compliant head(s) is/are best? Also, is it possible that they aren’t that much better than my new Nike Vapor Fly head, so all I would need is a longer shaft put on it to charge further toward that quixotic 300-yard drive? I've seen Calloway ERC, Cobra SS430, 900+Cor Super Speed by TPF, Juggernaut 515, and Hicor clubs advertised on the Web, but know nothing about any of them.

You could take a look at http://www.tpfgolf.com/

They seem to specialise in non conforming drivers for seniors. Dont see a problem with non conforming clubs. If they help someone enjoy the game then good on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, Russ, I wrote the URL in my notebook and might try one of their clubs. I'm going to have to set up a slush fund that my wife doesn't see if I am to keep buying drivers. She doesn't see the humor in it and insists I should accept my senior limitations and just be glad I can play at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Index95 said:

I'm  71 yrs  old and  like  many  geezers  have   lost driver   distance.  

Have  tried  regaining  some  with several  things:

1.  Bought higher  COR driver .   0.86 COR vs. USGA max of  0.83.  TaylorMade  R7 Quad with   Max on face.  My swing  speed  of  85 ish didn't  work  with   it. I had considered  getting  one  with  shaved face, but heard  they  may crack and still  need  higher  swing  speeds  

2.  Bought Cleveland   ultralight  270 gram club with 1" longer  42 g Myazaki shaft .   Went from  205 to 215+, but now fighting  slice

3.  Went back  to  my pro fitted Ping G15.  Must be swinging  better   because  getting  near 230 again  with  it  55g stock  Ping shaft  

4,  plan to  work  with  both  maybe add lead tape  to  hossel  area of Cleveland  to  help  with  slice

Good  luck  keep us  posted  

 

Thanks, Index. An important tip I get from your helpful data is that I need to work with a pro to try different variations (including non-conforming heads) until I find the best one for my swing. I have an additional gnatty issue caused by an over-aggressive twist thing I tried at the gym, which pulled something in my lower back two months ago that I can’t shake. Now I’m spasmed and stiff and can’t work with weights to strengthen my back, like I was doing. I’m putting off seeing a chiropractor fearing that he could potentially make it worse. I can still play, now; I just can’t swing as hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of us super seniors seem to fight physical issues relative to golf ,in my experience , except my cousins husband who is healthy as a horse, or else he's too proud to admit it & flirts with scratch index,  Damit.:pound:

I tend to think your lady may be much smarter than we , but I still have enough testosterone left to keep me in the hunt for just a bit more yardage , please 

Roll Tide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, but that goes without saying, Stefan; I’m talking about practice and recreational play.

I notice that most recreational golfers don’t observe all the rules, especially with regards to improving their lies, and dropping balls. I actually observe more rules and etiquette than most golfers I see. I even take my hat off to enter golf shops. Do you always?

Regards teaching my kids not to cheat, I purposely didn’t have any, out of respect for greenery and the environment in general. There are enough people on the planet already. And I might not have been able to afford playing at wonderful courses like Pebble Beach and Streamsong if I had had kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Covert said:

Thanks, but that goes without saying, Stefan; I’m talking about practice and recreational play.

I notice that most recreational golfers don’t observe all the rules, especially with regards to improving their lies, and dropping balls. I actually observe more rules and etiquette than most golfers I see. I even take my hat off to enter golf shops. Do you always?

Regards teaching my kids not to cheat, I purposely didn’t have any, out of respect for greenery and the environment in general. There are enough people on the planet already. And I might not have been able to afford playing at wonderful courses like Pebble Beach and Streamsong if I had had kids.

I have 2 kids under 4 years old and it certainly does impact my playing :cry:. Just have to play smarter and choose the best course deals. I love playing on a budget!

10 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Use a bazooka if you want. Just don't gamble with people, play in tournaments, keep a handicap for events, or tell your kids it is ok to cheat

I wouldnt go that far. My 3 year old wants to play golf with me so im going to take him to the range next year. If he wants to play he can use whatever club he wants even if it is "illegal". I dont see this as telling them its ok to cheat, more that it's ok to have fun which at a young age is far more important than rigidly adhering to the rules of golf.

Sure, as they get older and if they want to play in comps, get a handicap then explain to them why they cant use the no conforming club/ball or whatever. By that time they will be able to understand the reason better.

A large proportion of golfers globaly do not have a handicap or club memership so why not let them use equipment that allows them to enjoy the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Gutted with our local course in such brilliant conditions ... now nothing for least 4wks >> General Guidance New Zealand is now at COVID-19 Alert Level 4. This means New Zealanders not working in essential services must stay at home and stop all interactions with others outside of your household. This is a major step for the country however eradicating this disease is vital to protect people’s health and ensure our health system can cope and look after New Zealanders who become sick. The move to Alert Level 4 has major consequences for the golf sector. From Wednesday 25 March at 11.59pm, all operations at golf clubs must cease for at least four weeks. This means all golf courses, practice facilities, clubhouses, pro shops, bar, function and catering facilities must now be closed. While this a major move for the country, the government is trying to save lives and we urge the golf sector to do all we can to play our part. Regarding the maintenance of golf clubs and facilities during the four-week shut down period, we are working with the government (with the support of Sport NZ) to seek urgent and critical advice. We accept that if golf courses/facilities are not maintained to at least a basic standard over the next four weeks, the task of repatriating to current conditions may not be achievable nor affordable for a great number of clubs. With that in mind, we have asked for two exemptions on behalf of golf facilities: a) If essential and critical maintenance of golf facilities is necessary, it can be undertaken in a strictly solo manner by an individual who lives within the golf facility property.   b) If essential and critical maintenance of golf facilities is necessary, it can be undertaken in a strictly solo manner by an individual who lives outside of the golf facility property. We have been seeking an urgent response to these requests for many days and we remain hopeful that advice is imminent. Until formal advice to the contrary is received, we recommend that no maintenance of golf facilities is undertaken during the shutdown period. New Zealand Golf will continue to communicate any updates through our website, social platforms and via direct correspondence.
    • I’ll just share an anecdotal story about a pro from our country. He didn’t make it on the European Tour but pretty much anyone who is working in golf in Slovenia was pretty certain he would the first to do so, he was really close, I’d say his hcp was in the +4-5 range at that time. So he went to Sweden to a top coach who is coaching players on the PGA tour. I can’t recall the name. But he forced him to change his swing so that the trail elbow is forced forward in the rotation (think Dustin Johnson-ish). That was last year. The guy still struggles to break 80, can’t hit a fairway for the life of him. Afaik he doesn’t work with the coach anymore but still can’t find his previous swing. 
    • You can see by the number of pingpong balls behind the wall. It’s growing by a lot and then it’s suddenly back to 0 🙂 a lot of attempts. 
    • Hi,  I have the  Huntington Beach#4 with the oversized grip. https://www.clevelandgolf.com.au/en_AU/clubs/huntington-beach-4-putter/MHB4.html It's 35 inch but I need to take an inch off it.  It's almost new so I'd like to just reuse the grip - any tips on removing the grip without damaging it? (I do all my own grips so familiar with tape/solvent etc, just having trouble telling how the grip is put on this putter to work out what I'm dealing with. Any advice appreciated, Cheers, Ben
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...