IGNORED

Steve Williams was looking for the guy who did not rake the bunker.

CCC
Note: This thread is 2669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always rake a bunker that I've been in.  However, I'm not all that great at raking and manicuring a bunker, so just don't hit one that I've been in.  I would guesstimate that the bunker that I rake is just as good when I leave as it was when I got there.  Here in the Texas Panhandle there is not going to be a lot of sand in the bunker due to our winds and dry climate along with lack of revenue.  Golf appears to be a dying sport here.  Can't get the kids of their machines.

This is a problem with an easy fix - stop raking bunkers!   It's supposed to be a hazard.

But yeah . .more to the point of the OP . .whichever caddy didn't rake the bunker is pretty lame.  I actually thought there were officials who would spot the infraction and deal with it - either by reminding the caddy or, if he had moved on, getting the bunker raked.  

And also Steve Williams is a dick.  Actually . .it's not fair for me to say that since I've never met him.  Steve Williams *seems* like a dick.  

I always rake the beach. But I was doing it wrong. 

Then, I saw the proper way to do it in the golf channel. Now it takes me longer to rake it.

To go as far as looking for the guy who did not rake the bunker is a little too much. 

I have a hard time feeling bad for pros who don't get that perfect lie in a bunker. It's......a.......hazard of sorts. They practice uphill ,downhill ,side hill , out of divots etc etc etc. get over yourselves about a footprint or whatever.

the ancients that invented the game are having a good laugh

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/6/2016 at 0:51 PM, Gunther said:

I'm with you.  Shocking this happened in a Euro-Tour sanctioned event.  Happens to me all the time and yeah, I get pissy.  One of the groups I play with allows rake and place for this situation, another doesn't.  I've been in footprints so deep I had to take a penalty drop, no fun.

Oh man! Yeah, I've looked for guys who don't rake bunkers! Also idiots who don't replace divots or fix ball marks! Haven't been real successful at the endeavor, but I hope my point can be appreciated. Respect the course and your fellow golfers who are also playing there!

On 12/18/2016 at 9:13 PM, Rainmaker said:

This is a problem with an easy fix - stop raking bunkers!   It's supposed to be a hazard.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:10 PM, Hategolf said:

Then, I saw the proper way to do it in the golf channel. Now it takes me longer to rake it.

I'm with Mr. Pennick, too. Leave 'em. Not only is it a hazard to avoid, but raking it slows down the round, and every little bit helps these days. We've got to find every way we can to speed up play! Five hour rounds are ridiculous.

Wayne

42 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

I'm with Mr. Pennick, too. Leave 'em. Not only is it a hazard to avoid, but raking it slows down the round, and every little bit helps these days. We've got to find every way we can to speed up play! Five hour rounds are ridiculous.

How does it slow the pace of play if I rake while someone else is putting?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

How does it slow the pace of play if I rake while someone else is putting?

Well, you aren't looking at your putt and may not be ready to putt when it comes to be your turn.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Interesting. I wonder when sand rakes were first introduced to golf. I'm not sure if Jones, Hagen, Nelson or Hogan saw them during most of their careers. I watched an old b&w golf telecast on the Golf Channel some time ago, where Gary Player just smoothed the sand out with his wedge after hitting a bunker shot at Firestone CC. That was all the "grooming" anyone expected back then. When were bunker rakes introduced? And now for the "big" controversy: should the be left IN or OUT of the bunker?:-\ 

On 12/19/2016 at 0:13 AM, Rainmaker said:

But yeah . .more to the point of the OP . .whichever caddy didn't rake the bunker is pretty lame.  I actually thought there were officials who would spot the infraction and deal with it - either by reminding the caddy or, if he had moved on, getting the bunker raked.  

And also Steve Williams is a dick.  Actually . .it's not fair for me to say that since I've never met him.  Steve Williams *seems* like a dick.  

Sort of agree with this. I advocate raking bunkers, they are enough of a hazard as it is without landing in a footprint or worse. But the issue is the entitlement. Tour pros expect perfect conditions and some complain when they don't get these. I say if you get a bad lie, you're good enough to deal with it. You practice hitting from bad lies don't you?

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!