Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CCC

Steve Williams was looking for the guy who did not rake the bunker.

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 posts / 3354 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Steve Williams was very mad about having Adam Scott hit from a bad lie in an "unraked" fairway bunker. I would not want to be that guy. Did Steve ever find the bunker raking slouch?

I agree with Adam Scott's caddie, this should not happen. They are professionals - right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

What tourney was that in?

They are pros and have caddies so you think between the two of them, the bunker would get raked!  I dont think I have ever see the pro rake it, they usually smooth it out with their shoe to semi fill the hole they made and the caddies finishes up raking out all traces of them.

I had this happen to me twice and it sucks as both times it took me 2 shots to get out of the bunker.  One would not think to practice something like this but on some Muni's anything is possible!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did not see the this, but I do have a couple of questions. 1st was this actually a fairway bunker, or a waste area? If it was a waste area (bunker) are those areas required to be raked? I've seen my share of waste bunkers, and there was never a rake provided like in regular bunkers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I say whatever.  I mean, if you hit out of a bunker, you should rake to the best of your ability.  But don't get all pissy because someone forgot to.  Do you get the same way if you plug? Hey greens keeper, what the heck are you doing making it this soft so that I plug?! No.  A bunker is a hazard, you are never guaranteed to have a "good" lie.  Heck, you are not guaranteed a good lie if you hit the fairway.  Sometimes that ball ends up in a fat divot.  Hit the shot and move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I say whatever.  I mean, if you hit out of a bunker, you should rake to the best of your ability.  But don't get all pissy because someone forgot to. 

You bet I will get pissy. Big pissy because rake that bunker and don't forget. There is no excuse forgetting to rake a bunker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

I say whatever.  I mean, if you hit out of a bunker, you should rake to the best of your ability.  But don't get all pissy because someone forgot to.  Do you get the same way if you plug? Hey greens keeper, what the heck are you doing making it this soft so that I plug?! No.  A bunker is a hazard, you are never guaranteed to have a "good" lie.  Heck, you are not guaranteed a good lie if you hit the fairway.  Sometimes that ball ends up in a fat divot.  Hit the shot and move on.

I agree, common courtesy says rake the bunker, but this was obviously an oversight and not intentional.  What was Stevie going to do when he found the guy, what a jackass.  

If you don't want to hit out of a footprint, don't hit it in the bunker.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

You bet I will get pissy. Big pissy because rake that bunker and don't forget. There is no excuse forgetting to rake a bunker. 

I'm with you.  Shocking this happened in a Euro-Tour sanctioned event.  Happens to me all the time and yeah, I get pissy.  One of the groups I play with allows rake and place for this situation, another doesn't.  I've been in footprints so deep I had to take a penalty drop, no fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

You bet I will get pissy. Big pissy because rake that bunker and don't forget. There is no excuse forgetting to rake a bunker. 

^^^ This! ^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, CCC said:

Steve Williams was very mad about having Adam Scott hit from a bad lie in an "unraked" fairway bunker. I would not want to be that guy. Did Steve ever find the bunker raking slouch?

I agree with Adam Scott's caddie, this should not happen. They are professionals - right?

I didn't see this, and couldn't find anything about it in my 30-second search of the internet.  I'm wondering whether this was truly an unraked bunker, or just that the rake job wasn't up to Stevie's standards.  Pro's are used to having nearly perfect lies in the sand, it wouldn't be out of character for Stevie to be upset if Adam was in a rake groove or some other "substandard" lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I didn't see this, and couldn't find anything about it in my 30-second search of the internet.  I'm wondering whether this was truly an unraked bunker, or just that the rake job wasn't up to Stevie's standards.  Pro's are used to having nearly perfect lies in the sand, it wouldn't be out of character for Stevie to be upset if Adam was in a rake groove or some other "substandard" lie.

I haven't been able to find anything about it either.  @CCC, can you give us a link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi guys.

I don't have a link. I can't find one either. I guess it was no big deal.

What I saw after Adam Scott hit out of a fairway bunker was Steve Williams shouting madly (to anyone who would listen) "Who was the last player that played from this bunker?" He wanted to know who did such a bad rake job. The announcer said that Adam had a bad lie in the poorly raked bunker.

Hoping that someone else saw this too. But I guess not. I'm telling you Steve was really pissed off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, CCC said:

Hi guys.

I don't have a link. I can't find one either. I guess it was no big deal.

What I saw after Adam Scott hit out of a fairway bunker was Steve Williams shouting madly (to anyone who would listen) "Who was the last player that played from this bunker?" He wanted to know who did such a bad rake job. The announcer said that Adam had a bad lie in the poorly raked bunker.

Hoping that someone else saw this too. But I guess not. I'm telling you Steve was really pissed off.

I did see this, I can't remember if it was Saturday or Sunday though, as I was only half paying attention.  I didn't see the lie or any replays showing it.  But, I did hear Stevie howling about it, which was picked up by the on-course microphones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I saw a course vlog/interview with a tour caddy once and he said this type of stuff happens more often than some might think.

I've had to hit out of some crappy lies in the bunker before because people didn't rake properly (or at all).  It sucks but when there's a paycheck on the line I'd be super pissed, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time of year in the Northern Hemisphere with all the wet sand I feel like raking my footsteps makes the bunker worse.

Of course I know those guys were in Australia.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...